Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rb20det or sr20det into vs commodore

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Difference with me is I've always been a Jap man, owned many japs cars probabley more than some people on this forum have seen, one thing I will mention why SR20DET and not 4G63/T owned a few evo's 1 and a 4 and they go great, in saying that only SR20 I've owned was a GTiR and apart from its crap box it was great too. I have only recently converted to Holdens (loving every minute of it) and also being in NZ we have a hell of a lot more Jap cars available and a lot more modifications going on as costs are low over here for that kind of work, try modding a Holden over here (breaks bank)

Anyway back on track, to get more power out of your ute, cheaply as putting another engine in your work hack is prob gonna cost more than most bosses would spend on a work car (can't really say as I don't know you) but your most cost effective mod to do to your V6 would be one of those Toyota Superchargers or ***shunned Turbo setup, for towing I would say supercharger though as you can have all that low down power for pulling, whereas you don't want to be revving its nuts off carrying a $50,000+ racecar.

But really you can't go past a V8 conversion for towing, a V8 will pull a samoan away from KFC.....

Just to throw it out there have you seen the L28E in that datto dragster (fairlady or 280ZX) that thing is non-turbo and pulls like 8's its in Japan and is awesome.

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I like Nissans V8 :) I need one of those, they sound almost the same as a 304 too

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
If you dont like your Holden, or it's motor, and anything else about it, then why did you buy it? To turn it into a High performance vehicle?

its hard to tell from your display pic, and i cbf looking at "your ride" but it seems like it has been lowered? whats wrong? not happy with the performance of full length springs? so much so that you felt the need to take a hacksaw to them?

also, dons vs. i was not saying the VET were a boat anchor, as i know nothing about them, was more commenting on the bog stock DET which in my experience has quite a few short comings when compared to RB blocks.

i also have to protest that you left a couple of jap engines out, namely the 4AGZE and the 1JZ and 2JZ, it seems you dont like toyota. whats wrong with you? you baised or something?!!? (jokes) it is a commonly known fact that honda squeeze a bunch more HP out of their engines than holden could ever dream of, hence them turning to GHM (chev etc) and copying their work.

in fact, isnt the 308 a german engine? (opel) i could be wrong on that. but opel are a pretty crap company in germany. they are like the hyndai of europe.

Last edited:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Mate my car rides at stock height on stock springs, that photo was taken when i was replacing some busted shocks..:thumbsup: 308, germany WTF? If you wanna piss fart around with under capacity jap motor, in a Commodore then more fool you, nothing, will ever substitue for displacement, no matter how much money you have to throw at it. A 2L cannot make more power than a 5L, 5.7 or whatever, so why bother? Stop being a girl, and fit a real motor.

"that honda squeeze a bunch more HP out of their engines than holden could ever dream of, hence them turning to GHM (chev etc) and copying their work."

Yeah sure, 180kw from A 2 LITRE, is great, when your going down hill !!!
And then compare the perfromance, with the added weight of a Commodore, and a 5L, why isnt the S2000 blowing it stupid??
Because it's a 2L, it will never do what a 5L can !!

All you people bagging out V8's , Holden's ect.. What's wrong, you piss your pants or something last time you went for a ride in one??

Last edited:

FusionX

Reaction score
You still don't get it do you? A 5L will never be able to do what a RB26DETT or 2JZGTE can (which are in similar weight cars to a commodore).

And no I'm not bagging out V8's, I just understand that there are other alternatives out there. I am a V8 man, I just have the brain capacity to understand there are other motors out there, that have less displacement and less cylinders that can perform just as well, if not better.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
An RB 26 TT, in stock form, was nothing exciting, even in the last R34 version. Sure you up the boost ect ect, but look at all the big time tuners, and 9 out of 10, will have perfromed single turbo conversions to them anyway. Same goes with the 2JZ's...I dont understand what's making them superior engine??

dons vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
i also have to protest that you left a couple of jap engines out, namely the 4AGZE and the 1JZ and 2JZ, it seems you dont like toyota. whats wrong with you? you baised or something?!!?

I didnt leave them out, im not being biased at all.

exactly, there are so many great Japanese engines its not funny, honda have always been a step above the rest with there tech, although they dont build crazy power houses, there engines are very efficient and reliable.
If honda really wanted to make a turbocharged power house beleive me it would be one to fear on the streets that's for sure.
1u's, 4agze, 1j and 2jz's, vh45de, l20, b16 20 22 and the f series and h22a hondas rb20,25,26, ca18 and 20, vg30det, sr20det, ve and vet, and the ultimate vr38dett, **** even the early 80's fj20's where a killa little 4 banger even still to this day some of the top 4cyl class drags are with fj20's, these are just a number of fantastic Japanese engines.
the early 80's tech from nissan saw 150kw coming from those DOHC 4 cyl turbo.

Mate my car rides at stock height on stock springs, that photo was taken when i was replacing some busted shocks..:thumbsup: 308, germany WTF? If you wanna piss fart around with under capacity jap motor, in a Commodore then more fool you, nothing, will ever substitue for displacement, no matter how much money you have to throw at it. A 2L cannot make more power than a 5L, 5.7 or whatever, so why bother? Stop being a girl, and fit a real motor.

"that honda squeeze a bunch more HP out of their engines than holden could ever dream of, hence them turning to GHM (chev etc) and copying their work."

Yeah sure, 180kw from A 2 LITRE, is great, when your going down hill !!!
And then compare the perfromance, with the added weight of a Commodore, and a 5L, why isnt the S2000 blowing it stupid??
Because it's a 2L, it will never do what a 5L can !!

All you people bagging out V8's , Holden's ect.. What's wrong, you piss your pants or something last time you went for a ride in one??

there you are again, yes there is a replacement, turbochargers.
You could just keep making the engine bigger and bigger to the point you need to build a car which takes up 2 lanes on the road to fit the engine in, or you can keep it at the displacement its at and turbocharge it.
If you cant understand this then you should get out of this thread as your intelligence shows no view in this discussion.

A 2lt can make more power then a 5lt infact you would properly find more 2lt jap motors running around with more power than most 5lt's on the road.
In the other car forum im apart of the average sr is making around 200-250 at the wheels and there is alot of others making alot more.
most of the people who i know who claim to be a bit of a rev head havent done **** to there 5lt's apart from an exhaust and cai, there is no way they have as much power as most 2lt turbos.

I have never been scared in a v8 yet but plenty of tuned jap cars i have had to back off out of fear of crashing the thing they where that stupid.
a 2j supra with over 400kw was a ****ing weapon and shouldnt be on the road, that thing gave me a head ache, passenger in a mildly works r34 gtr at sandown was a descent scare.
hills climb in a rally speced my96 wrx with only 220 at all 4 was a scary ride.
**** even my s14 with 286 at the wheels is a hand full on the street, i get bored with v8's as they have a big wack when you put your foot down then it just like your cruising with no balls up top.
and yes they where modded, one was some shitty carby 308 with all sorts of shinny **** out of some magazine making around 250kw, the only other half descent 8 was a vs ss that was rebuilt 355 with hi stally, shift kit and all the gizzmos, was fun shifting that was about it dont know what that was making though.

An RB 26 TT, in stock form, was nothing exciting, even in the last R34 version. Sure you up the boost ect ect, but look at all the big time tuners, and 9 out of 10, will have perfromed single turbo conversions to them anyway. Same goes with the 2JZ's...I dont understand what's making them superior engine??
ok ok ok hang on a sec, you drive a vp commodore im guessing it has a 5lt? and your saying that an r34 gtr is.....ahh nothing exciting? bahahahahha ohhh my god bahahahahaha you have got to be kidding me hahahahahaha.
either you have never driven or been in an r34 gtr before or the person driving the car was not putting his foot to the floor.
You would **** your pants 3 times over sitting in the passenger seat of an r34 gtr with the right driver in stock form.
Workshops will convert to single for different reasons and its normally power delivery and overall hp increase.
problem is with the rb26 in the bay there isnt heaps of room spare to stick 2 bigger turbos than factory, so if you want to go bigger you got to ditch one to make room.
Anyone with half a brain who put some thought into what they where about to say would have understood the concept, you failed at this.......miserably.

You still don't get it do you? A 5L will never be able to do what a RB26DETT or 2JZGTE can (which are in similar weight cars to a commodore).

And no I'm not bagging out V8's, I just understand that there are other alternatives out there. I am a V8 man, I just have the brain capacity to understand there are other motors out there, that have less displacement and less cylinders that can perform just as well, if not better.
words of a car enthusiasts, i like this guys attitude, open mind and can appreciate technology.

and to add to that the gtr's are not light cars nor are cars like jzx chasers, supras, stegeas and so on.

the twin turbo jzx100 weighs 1725kg its a luxury cruiser with full house elecs and leather but still managers to throw down 300hp and 400nm in factory form.
the engine can do 600hp with out opening it up with a simple turbo and fuel system upgrade and a descent engine management system.
try doing that to your 5lt.
if you cant then tell me exactly why your 5lt is so sick.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
So your answer to a substitute for displacement,was turbochargers lol.
So why cant i turbo charge a 5L, well i can...
And you honeslty beleive,that 2 litre turbo,will put out more than a 5L turbo?
Your off in la la land with Caprtain Hook..
And no i dont own aV8, but i would like one..

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
if the 5L and the 2L were equally well designed, then of course the 5l turbo will put out more than the 2L turbo, but that is not what is being said.

FusionX

Reaction score
The reason an RB block is superior comes down to the design. The crank is situated further up in the block compared to a 5L, which makes it a bit more rigid and handle more abuse (plus a few other bits a pieces, but that would go straight over your head). Not to mention the heads are better flowing/better designed. Then you have the late model 2JZ's that have variable valve timing. Both block are capable of handling higher rpm compared to the 5L which would start walking mains well before those 2. It is a lot more cost effective to get a RB26/2JZ to make 500hp then it would be to get a 5L to 500hp.