Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re: Driver's door outer latch loose - clip fallen into door.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Hi everyone. I've checked some of the earlier posts but haven't found the answer yet. Last night when I closed my VR driver's door, something fell down into the door and the outer latch (door handle) assembly is now a bit loose. Turned out the thing that fell is a 10cm long metal clip. - obviously the clip that tensions the outer latch (door handle) assembly.

I've got the door cover off but I can't find out where thie clip fits... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there supposed to be a rubber seal inside around the door handle assembly as I can't find one?

Thanks/

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The pic is not a drivers handle but same idea.
Plastic seal around the outside and 2 nuts hold the outer handle in place.
The rod you refer to probably connects to the black clip in the right top corner.

DSCN1149.JPG

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that - but where would it connect to then?
It's a hairpin type clip - not actually a rod - it's obvious it keeps the door handle pressed against the door much the same way as the boot lock clip works...

But where on earth does it go? Bit confused to about the two nuts above - do they just hold that assembly in place?

Will try to post photos of the clip soon.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks for that - but where would it connect to then?
It's a hairpin type clip - not actually a rod - it's obvious it keeps the door handle pressed against the door much the same way as the boot lock clip works...

But where on earth does it go? Bit confused to about the two nuts above - do they just hold that assembly in place?

Will try to post photos of the clip soon.
Pic required.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok - here are the photos - as said it's about 10cm long and maybe 5mm wide.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DoorClip15_144223.jpg
    DoorClip15_144223.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DoorClip25_144233.jpg
    DoorClip25_144233.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 25

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Once the handle is correctly assembled, the clip slides in length ways, and hold all the parts together.

There is two small holes which it passes through.

Check out the images on this eBay listing - https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2006656718

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks greatly for this - it's a tricky one.
Looks like it slides in from the striker bars side.... oh no. Looks like I have to take the whole thing out?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks greatly for this - it's a tricky one.
Looks like it slides in from the striker bars side.... oh no. Looks like I have to take the whole thing out?
Does your handle resemble either of the 2 handles shown?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Forget about the (well-meaning) post from rambunctious, the handle is nothing like the VR/VS models. The one in the post from wamboin23 is correct for the VR/VS and shows the striker bar you are referring to. Working with these doors is a frustrating and bastard of a job. I went through the process a couple of years ago and it took me the best part of two weeks because I had to keep stopping work for lengthy periods to calm down before I damaged something. The attachment from the Holden VR/VS Service manual may be of some assistance to you as it shows you the parts and some (quite ordinary really) instructions. Good luck.

Attachments

• 2.9 Front Door Exterior Handle Assembly.pdf
    234.9 KB · Views: 20

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Forget about the (well-meaning) post from rambunctious, the handle is nothing like the VR/VS models. The one in the post from wamboin23 is correct for the VR/VS and shows the striker bar you are referring to. Working with these doors is a frustrating and bastard of a job. I went through the process a couple of years ago and it took me the best part of two weeks because I had to keep stopping work for lengthy periods to calm down before I damaged something. The attachment from the Holden VR/VS Service manual may be of some assistance to you as it shows you the parts and some (quite ordinary really) instructions. Good luck.
Yea my bad, I forgot how different they were.
If they are same as VP I am sure I have a pair ??? somewhere ???
I pretty well know what I have for VZ but time to start going through all that older stuff.

Reactions: Lex