Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Brake and Rotor charges

Poundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 3.0 Berlina
Hi guy's I am overseas at present and my son is looking after the VE11 Berlina 2012 3.0. it's been serviced by the same garage in Lindisfarne Tasmania since I bought it in 2014 and just went in for new rear pads and rotors to be fitted by them. It came in at AUD $670. is this a fair, ball park figure? just seemed a tad expensive to me. The fronts apparently are not far off needing the same treatment which I presume will be more expensive. Perhaps having been away for sometime I'm a bit out of touch with current Tassie prices.
Appreciate any feed back, cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's about right. Rotors are about $200-$250 a pair, pads are around $150 there would be at least two hours labour at $130-$150 an hour.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi guy's I am overseas at present and my son is looking after the VE11 Berlina 2012 3.0. it's been serviced by the same garage in Lindisfarne Tasmania since I bought it in 2014 and just went in for new rear pads and rotors to be fitted by them. It came in at AUD $670. is this a fair, ball park figure? just seemed a tad expensive to me. The fronts apparently are not far off needing the same treatment which I presume will be more expensive. Perhaps having been away for sometime I'm a bit out of touch with current Tassie prices.
Appreciate any feed back, cheers.

That's Australia right now, hyper inflated.
I went to buy a can of mortien today $18.

Poundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 3.0 Berlina
That's about right. Rotors are about $200-$250 a pair, pads are around $150 there would be at least two hours labour at $130-$150 an hour.
Thanks Shane and Losh, guess I am out of touch with with Australian prices, having been in uk for a while, was comparing to a Lexus Ct200h I had done over here recently by main agents at $ equivalent to rear pads $80, rotors $160 and Labour $160 about an hour.
Also been told the VE has a leak on the thermostat housing and will be over $1000 repair as it's a autobox out job to do it. I want to keep the car and in good order, just hard asking the questions when no dealing with the man face to face

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks Shane and Losh, guess I am out of touch with with Australian prices, having been in uk for a while, was comparing to a Lexus Ct200h I had done over here recently by main agents at $ equivalent to rear pads $80, rotors $160 and Labour $160 about an hour.
Also been told the VE has a leak on the thermostat housing and will be over $1000 repair as it's a autobox out job to do it. I want to keep the car and in good order, just hard asking the questions when no dealing with the man face to face

$1000 is too much, I would charge about $500-600 as it's easy to take the box out, some will do it without removing the box but I don't agree with that as you can't clean the area properly.
I prefer to take the box out.

It's like I-Load vans with the EGR, I did my first one without GB removal but the second one I took the box out, much easier.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$1000 is about right. You can call around but I'm confident the price will still be around that price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Around $300 in parts, and 5.5 hours labour is still $1000.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
$1000 is too much, I would charge about $500-600 as it's easy to take the box out, some will do it without removing the box but I don't agree with that as you can't clean the area properly.
I prefer to take the box out.

It's like I-Load vans with the EGR, I did my first one without GB removal but the second one I took the box out, much easier.
Based on those calculations, you reckon you can remove a box, replace all the parts required and refit the trans all in around 2.5hrs? I knew you were good, but man I didn't realise you're that good.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Do it from the top,

I had a leak from the heater pipe connections to the thermostat housing.
And decided to remove the whole thermostat and housing and service lot from the top,
Not a simple job, but doable with out pulling the transmission out.
Replaced the shite house metal gaskets and install decent gaskets,
And the 2 o-ring seals an the large o-ring seal on the return pipe.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bit expensive. How bad Depends on the quality of parts used.
A mechanic with a hoist and an ounce of skill should be able to do that in 2 hours while drinking a coffee and talking on the phone.