Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Brake and Rotor charges

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bit expensive. How bad Depends on the quality of parts used.
A mechanic with a hoist and an ounce of skill should be able to do that in 2 hours while drinking a coffee and talking on the phone.
I just priced up rotors, $120ea, pads about $110, bolts maybe $10-$20 (if they replace them), labour will be at least $130 an hour.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A garage won't shop at Automotive Superstore. Garages here, use Repco, Burson or Cooldrive if buying aftermarket parts. Burson being the most expensive, and Cooldrive the cheapest.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Based on those calculations, you reckon you can remove a box, replace all the parts required and refit the trans all in around 2.5hrs? I knew you were good, but man I didn't realise you're that good.

No it's not 2.5 hours, but I would charge about $600.
The only parts are a thermostat and gasket.
The rest of the job is labour.
It's maybe a 5 hour job, taking it easy pushing hard 4 hours.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No it's not 2.5 hours, but I would charge about $600.
The only parts are a thermostat and gasket.
The rest of the job is labour.
It's maybe a 5 hour job, taking it easy pushing hard 4 hours.
Well, if I was paying someone to remove a trans, I would expect the seal plate to be replaced, I would also want the input shaft seal replaced. Replacing a gasket and thermostat alone, rings alarm bells for me.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Well, if I was paying someone to remove a trans, I would expect the seal plate to be replaced, I would also want the input shaft seal replaced. Replacing a gasket and thermostat alone, rings alarm bells for me.

I'm pretty sure from memory these don't use a slip yoke so it's just 3 bolts and tail shaft is off.

Only thing I would do is change the torque converter as they crack at the welds and leak like a rear main.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm pretty sure from memory these don't use a slip yoke so it's just 3 bolts and tail shaft is off.

Only thing I would do is change the torque converter as they crack at the welds and leak like a rear main.
I'm referring to the TC seal not the output shaft. Output shaft seal is an hour job, and it's not box out. Why would you not replace the seal plate and input shaft seal while the trans is out? Chances are it will leak soon after if not done.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Rear pads judging my ebay (yeah not an exact price) range from about $32 through to $145.

So we go in the middle which puts them at $78...Give or take a few bucks

Rotors...General price is around the $190 ea mark

Labour will be an hours work at $130...

So the price of $670 to replace them would be close to the mark.

What I would suggest is to get your son just to make a couple of calls querying the price of pads and rotors for the car from an auto parts store, then add on that $130 ish for labour and make a judgement call for yourself if that is over the top.

The same can be done for the fronts, seeing as they are due for replacement. Then you will know for yourself how much the cost would be....

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm referring to the TC seal not the output shaft. Output shaft seal is an hour job, and it's not box out. Why would you not replace the seal plate and input shaft seal while the trans is out? Chances are it will leak soon after if not done.

Last box I had out I went to Autotorque in Canberra, to grab a seal.
Josh the owner said it's not the seal, the TC cracks at the weld.
I checked and it was clear he was correct.
So we told the customer and we got an exchange unit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Last box I had out I went to Autotorque in Canberra, to grab a seal.
Josh the owner said it's not the seal, the TC cracks at the weld.
I checked and it was clear he was correct.
So we told the customer and we got an exchange unit.
Regardless, so your saying you would just reuse a seal that has 150k plus on it, rather than spend a few extra bucks and fit a new one?