Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Door leak

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Well...I ended up sealing the door seal rubber with the adhesive I had, but it turned out not to be the area that was leaking, it's coming through where the bonnet release is...I have no idea where to start with where it could be coming from n it's bloody frustrating.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Steve

Check the windscreen seal and inside the plenum chamber. If the screen seal fails, water can enter, run towards the lower outer corners and drip down behind the trim at the base of the windscreen, just in front of the tweeters.

The plenum has a number of sealed panel joints and can collect rubbish such as leaves, which block the drainage system. If the water pools sufficiently, it may be entering the car through the join between the firewall and the body shell if the adhesive has failed somewhere. (The firewall is glued in place in VY's.)

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Hmm, sounds like a plan, any chance you could take a few pics of the area's I should have a look at?, as my mechanical knowledge is minimal. I wanna try to fix this on my own and learn a little bit more as I go along.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hmm, sounds like a plan, any chance you could take a few pics of the area's I should have a look at?, as my mechanical knowledge is minimal. I wanna try to fix this on my own and learn a little bit more as I go along.

OK, I'll try to remember to take a few tomorrow. Bit late now and you need plenty of light to see the areas I'm talking about.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
OK, I'll try to remember to take a few tomorrow. Bit late now and you need plenty of light to see the areas I'm talking about.

K thanks mate, I remember when I got my A/C fixed I asked the blokes at the mechanics to take a quick look n see if they could see any reason it was leaking and they couldn't, that was without touching/removing anything though, he did say that the place I should start with would be remove the area at the bottom of the front windscreen but I didn't want to go in and break something.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
K thanks mate, I remember when I got my A/C fixed I asked the blokes at the mechanics to take a quick look n see if they could see any reason it was leaking and they couldn't, that was without touching/removing anything though, he did say that the place I should start with would be remove the area at the bottom of the front windscreen but I didn't want to go in and break something.

The screens are bonded into place. Sometimes, a small portion of the bonding agent fails, leaving a small gap between the screen and the body. That's all water needs to make its unwelcome entry. I would imagine that is the most likely entry point on your car.

Has the screen ever been replaced to your knowedge?

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Not while I"ve owned it, had it since 145,000, now has 182,000.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Steve

Following on from my PM earlier today, I have taken pics but now find the mobile refuses to communicate with the PC, this is a new problem I have not encountered before. As soon as I can sort it, I will post the pics for you.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Pic 4.jpgPic 3.jpgPic 1.jpgPic 2.jpg

OK, finally sorted out the connection problems after faffing around for a couple of hours.

1. Pic 1 is the close-up of the lower screen corner and upper plenum cover. If the screen is leaking, it will probably be down in this corner behind the cover.
2. Pic 2 is a close-up of the top corner of the firewall, showing the glued seam between the firewall and the body shell. The bonding agent is extremely strong and flexible and is not likely to leak but if water accumulates in this pocket because of blocked drainage holes, it can find its way inside past the tiniest leak or gap in a grommet.
3..Pic 3 is the corner of the plenum cover, showing areas where leaves can accumulate to cause drainage probs. Make sure no leaves or other rubbish is accumulating either above or below the plelum cover.
4. Pic 4 is just another angle for pic 3.

In case you don't know, the plenum is the area below the windscreen where the wiper motor and wiper lingages are installed.

Good luck.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
Cheers mate I"ll give it a look over tomorrow morning once it's light out :thumbsup: , I had a feeling it was around there, will I need to remove many pieces n just a phillips head screwdriver is all I"ll need yeah?