Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Refurb Steering Wheel

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

I had a chat with the guys at Unseen Repairs - their repair prices are between $160 and $350. When he lookad at my wheel he said I was wasting my time using his process due to the deteiroration of the leather. He repairs the leather as opposed to replaces it. Hi recommendation was for a motor trimmer at the $450 -500 mark. Iassume this is the current rate. I am still on the hunt for quotes. Nothing in my area so it will have to wait until I get a chance to travel into Canberra.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
I think we are stuck with that sort of price for a decent job. I had been in touch with Gary West ages ago and was looking at around $400. He also does gear knobs and mine was worn and split, can't remember his price for that but ended up getting a new black and red knob for a VE SS from Holden. There is another steering wheel cover option I found but works out too expensive when you convert US to Aus dollars plus whatever shipping comes too.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I think we are stuck with that sort of price for a decent job. ........ There is another steering wheel cover option I found

[/URL]

Hi Doc,

I agree - the price is what it is. I run my own business and to make a profit means you can't work for nothing - especially with all of the mandatory requirements that have to be met. Like minimum wages, WHS,, having to look after your employees physical and mental health. While I am not happy about the price I would prefer to see another business in Australia take my fun sheckles than send them overseas.

AT $171 AUD plus delivery it is certainly cheaper. Not the same professional standard though I would bet if it simply laces over. I will keep it in mind at I work through this one - maybe a motor trimmer could fit it so it is like new.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
AT $171 AUD plus delivery it is certainly cheaper. Not the same professional standard though I would bet if it simply laces over. I will keep it in mind at I work through this one - maybe a motor trimmer could fit it so it is like new.

I just emailed them asking for shipping price to Brisbane. I'll get off my backside and take some photos of the cheap cover I installed, as I said only problem area was the thick parts of the wheel, the Redline cover should solve that. Just takes time and patience during sewing to get a neat job. I also have an even cheaper wheel cover coming from China that I want to try fitting to my original wheel, going to try stretching the leather before sewing.

Realistically, best option is getting WestiesWheels or similar to recover it, second best probably the Redline cover but I'm retired so happy to spend time experimenting with cheap covers for now.

Saying that, I don't intend selling the Monaro any time soon so will eventually end up with a reupholstered wheel.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I just finished fitting the clock spring and the crewman wheel. Chucked a Caterpillar steering wheel cover over it to get us through rego tomorrow. I will definitely be getting the wheel done - just when, who and how much is just unknown at the moment. LEt me know how you go with the experimentation.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Here's some photo's of the cheap sewn on wheel cover:
IMG_20201216_144810 small.jpgIMG_20201216_144823 small.jpgIMG_20201216_151653 small.jpg

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
You've done an excellent job there Doc - it is certainly better than the CAT setup I currently have on the old girl. Can you send me the link for the one you have stitched on? The current wheel is off a regular Crewman so doesn't have the thicker parts to it. I may just do that in the interim.

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Think I made a mistake by using doubled thread(like in normal sewing) when I did mine as I didn't have enough thread and the stuff I finished with wasn't as strong or neat. If I do it again I would just use a single thread. Here's what I bought: