Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remove which muffler?

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Hey Guys,
Been searching a bit, but am really after a definitive answer.
On a STANDARD 2.25in VX V6 exhaust, would I be best removing the resonator or the middle muffler for the least drone? I only want it a bit louder then stock, and just want to know which option will drone LESS? Please don't say things like 'don't do it, it will sound ****'. If it does, then that's a lesson that I've learnt.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
How can we answer if if you don't want us to post the truth

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Take the rear muffler off but I would say get a new sports exhaust

PROBLEM?

umadbro?
Reaction score
Members Ride
commo
get a sports exhaust.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
thanks guys.. was just wanting to try something a little different and learn a few things along the way. so rear resonator it is? hasn't anyone ever just removed the middle muffler

fully_carver

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
I Know some one that has removed the font muffler and it was very loud and droney. Not recommended. Lots of people remove the rear witch gives a ok note for very Little money.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
oh okay, thanks man.. sounds like rear is the go. the reason I even cnsidered the front muffler.. is a blue sv6 [ccruzn] had no front muffler, and a high flow rear, on a stock pipe and it sounded good. I know that vz's are twin cat and alloytec, but I was thinking how different could it be? obviously very different haha. Cheers

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
remove rear muffler = annoys the driver (drone)
remove centre muff = annoys your neighbours

but in saying that this is probably best suited to aftermarket exhaust not factory

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
You answred your own Q there, in a sense.
A "straight through" will give a nice sound (depending on many variables) If it's at the back or further in, it will still give a similar sound. (closer to the back will give less drone)
I do say SIMILAR though. NOT exactly. If it has cat only and then the straight through as close to the back as possible there will be less drone than if it is further in where they are from stock. But for effort factor the lazy option would be to take the rear off and put a pipe there, leaving the straight through in it's original position.

With my VS I have a 2.5" system with a genie staight through in it's "original" position just before the diff, then at the end of the system I put a Quality twin tip which I welded to be sealed to the end of the pipe (rather than a "bolt up tip"). The tip changed it so much because of the sound hitting a small plate inside the tip which breaks it up before coming out the 2 2.5' tips. (This is probably hard to follow So a pic would work better. I'll put a pic up in a tic.

That made a huge improvement to the sound and eliminated the drone that was there with just the straight through and pipe.

Car has a real nice sound and is actually pretty quiet with cruising and no droning or loudness on the freeway either. Then when you tromp it it sound berco.
Goes well too but I also ported the heads and have modified Extractors to which has changed the sound and performance a fair bit in itself.

The extractors and porting I did has eliminated the HORRIBLE factory bark that the buick and ecotec have.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
thanks for that mate.. very appreciated.. I'll do the rear resonator, and I have a high quality twin tip. I'll post on here when it's done. Either good or bad. At least whatever the verdict is, it should stop the ecotec owners asking the same question again. Cheers :)