Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing fried radio unit VF SSV REDLINE and reprogramming secondhand one

Stuoow

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf SSv redline wagon
HOLDEN TELL ME IT CAN NOT BE DONE.
I've been unfortunate to have a radio unit short out in a 2013 vf ssv redline.
Holden tell me I CAN NOT go and buy a second hand one from a wrecker and do a swap into my car from another.
$1600 for a new unit against $550 for a second hand unit, but now they tell me I can not put it in because it can not be programmed to my car.
Anyone know if its possible to get it programmed to my car?
Or is it Holden being Holden and just trying to force people to bring their car back to them so they can sell them new parts and rip you off in the mean time.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
You MIGHT be able to get a second hand unit to work, but it can't be programmed by Holden (SPS won't allow reprogramming of a different VIN, they come blank and are set up per VIN). I'd probably have a chat with JSB performance who might be able to program one.

As dealers we are told to not reuse any programmable control module on the Global "A" electrical platform (which the VF is based around).

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
I would seek out TazzI from Envyous Custom , he often posts here. If anyone knows I am sure he does.
Why are GM being such dicks, won't allow using Secondhand Gear and won't allow using Third party stuff. This is why people have such a bad view of the Corporate world.

Stuoow

Reaction score
Members Ride
You MIGHT be able to get a second hand unit to work, but it can't be programmed by Holden (SPS won't allow reprogramming of a different VIN, they come blank and are set up per VIN). I'd probably have a chat with JSB performance who might be able to program one.

As dealers we are told to not reuse any programmable control module on the Global "A" electrical platform (which the VF is based around).

I'd say because Holden would lose so much money by allowing it to happen, I spoke to 2 separate dealers yesterday and both told me the same thing but according to VE-VF Spares in Melbourne it can be done and even told me who dose it down there but that's 800ks away from me.
All holden are interested in is selling me a brand new unit $1600 which I don't have sitting around anywhere.

Stuoow

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would seek out TazzI from Envyous Custom , he often posts here. If anyone knows I am sure he does.
Why are GM being such dicks, won't allow using Secondhand Gear and won't allow using Third party stuff. This is why people have such a bad view of the Corporate world.

I'd say because Holden would lose so much money by allowing it to happen, I spoke to 2 separate dealers yesterday and both told me the same thing but according to VE-VF Spares in Melbourne it can be done and even told me who dose it down there but that's 800ks away from me.
All holden are interested in is selling me a brand new unit $1600 which I don't have sitting around anywhere.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
What chain of events lead to the radio unit short out?

Stuoow

Reaction score
Members Ride
What chain of events lead to the radio unit short out?

Hooked an amp up wrong with 240 watt door speakers but forgot about replacing the tweeters and center speaker(stupid me), they shorted out cause the unit to short out.
I mechanic who put the second hand unit it tested everything else in the car with the software that they have from Holden but they won't let them have the software to unlock the unit.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute

That's because that's the only option the dealer has to offer you. It's not possible for a dealer to fit and program a second hand one. I can see both sides of it - on one hand buying used could save you money but I've seen questionable used units fitted to cars that have fried other components - and on a newer vehicle where you have several thousand dollars worth of interconnected modules you probably don't want one dodgy component frying the lot.

If you can't afford to replace it you shouldn't have fiddled around with it and stuffed it in the first place.