Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing PIM

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
I have a VX 5.7L auto Berlina wagon and I have got the engine light, oil light and Trac off light up on my dash. Did some reading here and thought it was the ABS module, so I got it repaired and I put it back in but the lights are still up on the dash. So I took it to a good Holden dealer I know for a scan and they said the tech2 couldn't communicate with the car. They did some searching and found that the PIM (powertrain interface module) was stuffed. Apparently Holden don't make these anymore for the VX so I have to source a second hand one myself.

From reading on the net I have found that before the PIM is removed from a car for use in another car it has to be reset with a tech2 so that it can then be linked with a tech2 to the new car. I have asked the sellers of PIM's I have found online but none of them have been reset prior to removal, they have just been pulled out.

So my question is, can these PIM's be used on my car without being reset in the original car. If I get the VIN info for the car the PIM came from will this help me?
Thanks for any info.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You will need to relink the BCM to the replacement PIM, and also relink the PCM to the replacement PIM using a tech2 .

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
You will need to relink the BCM to the replacement PIM, and also relink the PCM to the replacement PIM using a tech2 .

Thanks Brett. Do I need the VIN info from the car the PIM was in originally as it was not reset before removal from that car so it is essentially still linked to that car?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I don't think it needs a VIN entered, the instructions say-
Tech2 device connected to vehicle, select body control module.
Select diagnostic menu/ vehicle model/body/body control module/security/BCM link to PCM/PIM.
It says it will need TIS securtiy access to be enabled on the tech2 for relinking V8 models..
Linking BCM to PIM ,then linking the PCM to the PIM is then done by the tech2.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Brett, got the PIM replaced and relinked like you said and all good now. No more lights and chimes on the dash.

Ecotecjet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Berlina
Does anyone know the location of the pim module in a vy

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I would think it's the same as the VT/VX. Refer to the attached:

Attachments

• PIM Replacement.pdf