Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resale: Stock V Modified

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Depends how you define the term "investment".

Of course a finanical guru would have a myopic ROI view, whereas others have a broader view, i.e. investing in personal well being and satisfaction (see my sig quote), whether that be their car, wardrobe or travelling. The poor finanical guru has trouble dealing with that concept coz he can't quantify any benefit in $$$ terms.
That's coz it's not an investment 5L. It's spending. Converting the fruits of your investment (time, labour, capital) into something you desire. Something that gives you endorphins! Like tonight. I spent ~$20 on a bottle of durif. The quid pro quo is, I feel great!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That's coz it's not an investment

The spend is the investment in feeling good.....as you've just experienced

An investment does not have generate a financial return to be of benefit.

Last edited:

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
The biggest financial loss I’ve had is the women in my life,now I spend it on cars,always looks good no mater what time of the day or night it is and you get to take it to the cleaners.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The spend is the investment in feeling good.....as you've just experienced

An investment does not have generate a financial return to be of benefit.
Yeah, I get it mate. Seems like a bad investment now. Oh, my head.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I am a watch collector. Due to the large number of fakes in the Rolex end of the market, people get scared when buying second hand if it is genuine. The old saying "buy the seller, not the item" applies somewhat here. I have modded my car (and don't care about resale as it will never be sold by me) but the mods are tasteful, car never tracked or about above 4-5 k apart from the dyno. I am the age of an old age pensioner and a fanatic, so buy the seller :)

I've seen a few fake Rolex's that are very hard to pick from the legit versions...

Anyway, back when i was in the car trade, we ignored mods when looking at a car for trade in purposes, especially mods which added nil value to the car. Even factory fitted options didn't help. I remember a chap had a VS SS as a trade in. this thing had been optioned to the hilt, and cost more new than a Clubsport. It was still an SS, and got the trade it value based on that....

Mods won't really hurt the value (unless its distasteful) but as others have said you shouldn't expect the mods to add value

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Anyway, back when i was in the car trade, we ignored mods when looking at a car for trade in purposes, especially mods which added nil value to the car. Even factory fitted options didn't help. I remember a chap had a VS SS as a trade in. this thing had been optioned to the hilt, and cost more new than a Clubsport. It was still an SS, and got the trade it value based on that....
I have a sneeking suspicion that when the deler put the car on the lot, the asking price would have been much more than a standard SS.

Guess when i was buying, my experiance was that they always play both sides of the transaction and that used car dealers must have been fishermen in their previous life :p

Back in the 70's, a GTHO was about 1/2 the price of a house near the city. IIRC, just before the GFC a GTHO sold for around $900K, about 1/2 the price of a house near the city...

So buy the car you want and can afford and if it tickles your fancy mod within the law. Just don't worry about resale value, you've already done a lot of dosh just driving a stock car out the showroom.

Possibly, in 40years, if your still around, it may keep up with inflation and you can feel comfortable in it's price... if your lucky and still around. Even then, stock standard seems to command a better price than joe blogs modded....

So "carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero".

Last edited:

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
There is no way people will be driving petrol powered cars with an internal combustion engine in 40 years imo

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have a sneeking suspicion that when the deler put the car on the lot, the asking price would have been much more than a standard SS. Back in the 70's, a GTHO was about 1/2 the price of a house near the city. .".

Also back in the 70s and 80s, if you wanted to trade a V8, 'We don't want it, we can't sell them because nobody wants one of them', but if you wanted to buy a V8, 'It will be expensive ,because everybody wants one of them'.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Also back in the 70s and 80s, if you wanted to trade a V8, 'We don't want it, we can't sell them because nobody wants one of them', but if you wanted to buy a V8, 'It will be expensive ,because everybody wants one of them'.
That’s not last year?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is no way people will be driving petrol powered cars with an internal combustion engine in 40 years imo
Highly likely but there are lots of people paying silly money for 40 yo cars today that simply sit in a garage loved but unregistered and never driven.

But the point of my post was contained in
"carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero".
which is latin for “seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow” ;)