Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retreads - Are they worth it? - How much?

I LIKE COMMODORES

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08.5 SV6
the only good thing retreads are for is burnout tires....... just save up for some good tires ... and 350 dollars for an 18 inch tire is a total rip off

Hmm....Rather intresting that you say that accualy, The last time i heard of a retread as a "burnout" tyre it tore a hole straight through my friends tubs & into his boot.:cry: :rip:

Although, I agree withthe tyre price :thumbsup:

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Ur getting ripped I paid $220 for mine and that was steep! Also retreads may be ok in 16" but if your running 18" its just no rubber for it to attach to (i had em on my car when I got it and it started to split apart after a few days)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
never had a problem with the 15" retreads i used for a year or so, but anything bigger, id go second hand or new.

im with you on this, i currently have 15's. backs are retreads and fronts are brand new (about a month old) and to be honest i will spend the extra money to go on my front wheels but for my back im going to continue to put retreads on unless im going on a very long trip (anywhere past bendigo), lets be honest im 18 and i go to a private property alot and well yeah you can guess what happens there so i dont want to break my bank everytime i decide to spin the tyres, and i get the accasional unexpected spin around a corner and add that all up = alot of money.....

I'm pretty strapped for cash myself too and need some new tyres, I dont think I'll go retreds though, how long do they last anyway?
ive had mine on since around september last year and they are still barely roadworthy, and that involved me doing a pretty big burnout for my mate because he wanted to record it..... nothing major and there still fine...

There was a guy that works at a retreading place that said they are speed tested to 200 anyway, but the government imposes the 140 speed limit.

so true, mine says 160MAX and airstrike said 85 max? im on 100km/h probably 2-3 times a week for around 10-15 minutes and have been doing that for the last six months with these tyres on.... so it cant be 85max....
i know mine handled it to 150 till i stoped because of private property again (damn i love going up there:D).... and it didnt pop, lil did i know later when i checked it said 160max and i was like wtf? but i wasnt doing it for long so yeah.... they must be tested to 200 because i done 150 on numerous occasions and im still here

it took me ages to write all that, and if it doesnt make sense its because im tired, im going to sleep nightttt people:D

BTW....
burnout tyres: retreads
traveling tyres: new
front tyres: ALWAYS new:D

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I wouldn't be doing those types of speeds on retreads anyway, i was just saying that they have a higher speed test.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When you people say kinkbike_rider is getting ripped at $350 a tyre, consider the brand. $350 can be cheap for a performance tyre. If you go the cheaper Chinese tyres, of course they are less expensive. It's all relative, if you earned $2000 per week, $350 wouldn't seem that dear, but if you earned $200 per week, why are you driving a car, you should be spending that money on cigarettes and bourbon. You do get what you pay for, some people spend more because of quality, brand or reputation. Not necessarily justified but it is their choice.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
but if you earned $200 per week, why are you driving a car, you should be spending that money on cigarettes and bourbon. .

Because i need transport to make that $200 a week. And i still have enough left over for parties on the weekend:)