Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ridiculous $$ being asked for series 111 utes.

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
Had a look earlier on marketplace and gumtree = mostly seems reasonable prices.
Go to carsales for those eye watering asking prices.
E.G. =a 1999 s pack ( looks super clean and nice= but 215i badge on tail gate WTF ) , no photo of engine/bay so don't know if roller.
It's got a Holden by Design Tag = they say for the Walkinshaw wheels and if as a passenger and in an accident you'll get smacked in the head by a 9 x Bathurst winner=( well at least his signature on the airbag cover !!! ).

But $41k !!!!

Pretty sure the lady owner is traumatised= especially as the voice in the add is male and her parents named her Mark !!!

Seriously though as @losh said they (utes ) do demand a premium and as said rollers a bit more.

And we ( all read /interpreted different ) and I went he has a 5.0l roller powered 2000 ute.
sorry for the confusion, ill try harder next time to be more betterer. my mum said im a very naughty boy.
seriously though, i seen that add too. what a joke. people must do things like that for fun. no one in there right mind would expect to pull anywhere near that price. or would they?? cause im thinking of selling mine, i had it for a long time now and was simply curious as to what commodore enthusiests like most on this site think theyre worth. id like to think id pull $15-$17K easily. being an olympic edition do you reckon makes a difference to the price? a factory 304 roller motor with a factory 5 speed i wouldnt think there are too many around? or are there??
one thing theres no uncertainty about, it goes very well.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
sorry for the confusion, ill try harder next time to be more betterer. my mum said im a very naughty boy.
seriously though, i seen that add too. what a joke. people must do things like that for fun. no one in there right mind would expect to pull anywhere near that price. or would they?? cause im thinking of selling mine, i had it for a long time now and was simply curious as to what commodore enthusiests like most on this site think theyre worth. id like to think id pull $15-$17K easily. being an olympic edition do you reckon makes a difference to the price? a factory 304 roller motor with a factory 5 speed i wouldnt think there are too many around? or are there??
one thing theres no uncertainty about, it goes very well.

Sounds like a reasonable expectation .
Don't how many olympic edition or what was fitted to them.
You'd like to think that they are of the age and prices now that they won't be butchered by the P plate crowd.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Olympic edition wont alter the price IMO. the S3 SS ute's will usually attract an additional premium. The remainder of the S3 V8 utes should all be around the same pricing S pack, Olympic etc. All goes on condition, location etc. I find pricing can vary by state pretty significantly some times.

Also not all S3 utes were made with the roller engine. common misconception. That too can affect pricing. But often are not advertised correctly.

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I've been regularly checking prices of SIII V8 utes since covid tax came in and they've stayed pretty consistent.

One thing I believe that has made the them worth more (not only that I have one) is that there has rarely been more than 2 actual roller versions for sale at any given time (good or bad condition) so there's been a serious shortage of qulaity for sale.

There has been a few utes that have sat on 35k+ on carsales for many many months and I'm convinced its driven marketplace prices up at the same time even though they're not selling at that price.

Because of this shortage I think owners have noticed and decided to attempt quick cashgrabs while the prices were high. Now every drongo with their SIII badged mangbox V6s have jumped on board and are trying to flogg their 250k pos at over 10k thinking the badge all round is drawing big dollars. It blows my mind why anyone would buy a V6 for 10k.

Anyway I think 20k for a SIII with a roller, roady, reg, less than 200k on the clock and good paint is more than fair. If it's resprayed, low ks new suspension/brakes and engine etc then I'd probably go up near 30 but year. I'd be happy with 20 for mine.

On that, you can get way better cars than VS commo utes or any commodores for that fact so for 20k I would never buy another one. This will be my last.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Are they at that stage where people used to have them or wanted them and have some money to be able to afford it?
A bit like the old H-series cars or say the XY's and so on. People want to relive their youth.
Add that to people not spending money on holidays and those savings were able to go further again.

I've always looked at the VS V8 utes because of owning a v6 S3 one (except its nearly double that 250 figure from above) and always having wanted a v8 version.
Back around 08-10 they were around the 8-15k mark for a respectable one which I thought was well up there. So honestly I don't see the 25-30k being out there if people are wanting them.
But yes many out there are well overpriced or dreaming in a sense, or are happy to wait for someone to bite.

Like anything, everything has a price, which is what someone is willing to pay for it and how badly they want it.

Redneckhillbilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk injected 6 Berlina + Vr 5.0 Bt1 + Vt 5.0 Calais
Olympic edition wont alter the price IMO. the S3 SS ute's will usually attract an additional premium. The remainder of the S3 V8 utes should all be around the same pricing S pack, Olympic etc. All goes on condition, location etc. I find pricing can vary by state pretty significantly some times.

Also not all S3 utes were made with the roller engine. common misconception. That too can affect pricing. But often are not advertised correctly.

!00% and also goes for the statesmans in S3 not all being roller. The telling factor is if map based or maf based. Obvs maf based is the roller donk. I could find the production line change over point and date etc but would take some digging.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Picked this one up in Dec 2017 for $1800 (no rego) needed a few thing Brake Pads and Service. In the end 6mths later all i could get was $4,000, think i dropped to 3,800 just to sell it. AT THAT TIME that was all they were worth. Now its a $10,000 Ute all day long.
26232582_1767677533272162_9047211968178823273_o.jpg

VS 1998 5ltr Auto Series 2.

Not the same as OP was referring to but the point is the prices have jumped about 4 yrs ago and not really come down much since then.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah four or five years ago there was occasionally an VS SS utes for around $3.5k-$4k, less for a rough one. But the idea that some people think they can get $30k or more for an SS ute when all it is an Olympic or even base SS and not a Maloo I seriously don't think they move.

There was a VE SS ute on FB today for $20k at small dealer. It had done 230k about, and it's now sold. I think it only went up on the weekend and today was his first day open as he closes weekends. Yet I see other similar SS utes at $30k and they have been listed for weeks and are still listed and not moving. 99.99% of buyers are not stupid, however it would seem that there are about 20% of Holden ute sellers out there who believe they are sitting on a goldmine......

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
all to true. its interesting to see the stupidity of people thinking they can get upwards of 30k for a vs. mine being bone stock roller with the 5 speed makes it that little bit more appealling. there was only 1010 olympic editions made and very few had a 5 speed. they are the same spec as an ss i believe. they are a sweet ute though. cheers boys

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Sounds like a reasonable expectation .
Don't how many olympic edition or what was fitted to them.
You'd like to think that they are of the age and prices now that they won't be butchered by the P plate crowd.
There were about 1,000 Olympic models sold. They got a few goodies like power windows and ABS included. I saw one recently - dreamer wanted $10,000 for it but it was very shabby condition, the paint was peeling off. So would be nearly another 10 grand to fix up.