Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rockers upgrade

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
It's a public forum everyone has there own opinion, and as everyone that reads this thread and almost all of the other threads on this website lately, will notice that everyone's opinion is different in some way!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If someone thinks that hot intake air temps are better for power etc than cold intake air temps,then thats fine,go for it,get all the hot air you can into it.Good luck with it...And in the winter here where I am,it gets down to -5 degrees sometimes on cold mornings,usually around 0 degrees though on most morings,If a carby doesnt ice up then at that sort of temperature,its unlikely to ever ice up (here in oz anyway).All the years Ive driven different cars with carbys on cold mornings etc and have never had an carby icing problem,even with bonnet scoops sticking out catching the air.I think I would have had it happen by now if it were a common thing.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
A warm air intake that's set up right can produce a very different power band than a CAI. Sometimes beneficial and sometimes not!!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I am sorry if I am upsetting anyone here - "but I am old school" I was playing with mechanical fuel injected cars / methanol & speedway cars 35 years ago & done many other awesome things since then - in Australia & overseas - I was always taught that if I was to do anything to increase HP then you sorted out the deficiencies in the motor before you started - I was taught to do the job properly.

Its obvious that I am talking to a different generation that doesn't understand where I am coming from or know much about engines or much worse - have any respect for people.

I came here as I have now retired from the industry & have more time to help others / share my experiences with you all & pass on some of what I have learned from 35 years of working on cars amongst many other things - I can see that my posts are not appreciated - so I will go elsewhere where my skills will be appreciated & respected. I didn't come here to cop smart ass comments from 18 year old children just out of high school. Adios & have a Merry Christmas

I'm sure no disrespect was intended (or at least on my behalf) however, when someone posts something contrary to their opinion/known facts, then it is most likely to be debated....some people don't know how to take a debate as 'impersonal' not to feel it as a personal attack on themselves.
Apologies if you felt this way....but from what I can see, this was a mature conversation about a pretty standard topic.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If someone thinks that hot intake air temps are better for power etc than cold intake air temps,then thats fine,go for it,get all the hot air you can into it.Good luck with it...And in the winter here where I am,it gets down to -5 degrees sometimes on cold mornings,usually around 0 degrees though on most morings,If a carby doesnt ice up then at that sort of temperature,its unlikely to ever ice up (here in oz anyway).All the years Ive driven different cars with carbys on cold mornings etc and have never had an carby icing problem,even with bonnet scoops sticking out catching the air.I think I would have had it happen by now if it were a common thing.

If you read what I said carefully it's the amount of water vapour in the air that causes ice to form in a carby when the temperature of the air in the carby is low enough, it doesn't matter what the air temp is outside and it can be -5 because if the air is dry enough then no ice will form!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow wrong time of the month here. I never said I was right and never critisised anything that you said. The feeling is mutual mate and if you review most posts you enter into it's you who seems to get abusive most of the time when someone differs in opinion to you and infact the post on bleeding the cooling system there are a heap of people who disagreed with you, pfff.

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah ok then,just like the other day in the other post,as soon as I posted a general comment about why people have so much trouble with bleeding cooling systems,you start on me and carry on about how you have to open the bleeder NO MATTER WHAT after I had said that you dont have to open it,but then you later post up (after looking in a workshop manual),that you dont have to open the bleeder if its done a certain way,which is what I was getting at in the first place,(oh, but I was wrong and you must open the bleeder no matter what,pfff.Wrong again mate,)then you try to change the subject by going on about how my post wasnt what the person had wanted to know.The guy who posted already had his answer before I even posted my comment ,And now on here you post that some crap about how the carby cant adjust the mixture and needs a certain air temp to work properly ,and that this is the same reason that you have to change jet sizes in the carby depending on the altitude the vehicle is opeated at.Now most people will know that altitude has nothing to do with the carby running temps or air temps or whatever,but has everything to do with how thick the air is at low altitudes,and how thin the air is the higher up you are.Thinner air makes the car run richer because theres less air getting intio the engine,so smaller jets are fitted the higher you go.Its got nothing to do with temperatures at all.So your wrong there too.
Now,Has anyone had a go at you for being wrong about this ,no,but if I posted something similar thats not 100% right,then your the first person to make sure you post up and tell me Im wrong,and make a big song and dance about how wrong I was.Its all pretty sad I reckon.Then you try to turn it all around and try to say I argue with everyone on here,when its only you Ive ever had this trouble with.As I said before,it all started ages ago when you got proved wrong about something and didnt like it,and after this happened a lot of posts from me have had smart comments from you,like the fuel tank crap, (another argunent)you tried to bring up AGAIN, to make me look stupid.Just grow up.

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah ok then,just like the other day in the other post,as soon as I posted a general comment about why people have so much trouble with bleeding cooling systems,you start on me and carry on about how you have to open the bleeder NO MATTER WHAT after I had said that you dont have to open it,but then you later post up (after looking in a workshop manual),that you dont have to open the bleeder if its done a certain way,which is what I was getting at in the first place,(oh, but I was wrong and you must open the bleeder no matter what,pfff.Wrong again mate,)then you try to change the subject by going on about how my post wasnt what the person had wanted to know.The guy who posted already had his answer before I even posted my comment ,And now on here you post that some crap about how the carby cant adjust the mixture and needs a certain air temp to work properly ,and that this is the same reason that you have to change jet sizes in the carby depending on the altitude the vehicle is opeated at.Now most people will know that altitude has nothing to do with the carby running temps or air temps or whatever,but has everything to do with how thick the air is at low altitudes,and how thin the air is the higher up you are.Thinner air makes the car run richer because theres less air getting intio the engine,so smaller jets are fitted the higher you go.Its got nothing to do with temperatures at all.So your wrong there too.
Now,Has anyone had a go at you for being wrong about this ,no,but if I posted something similar thats not 100% right,then your the first person to make sure you post up and tell me Im wrong,and make a big song and dance about how wrong I was.Its all pretty sad I reckon.Then you try to turn it all around and try to say I argue with everyone on here,when its only you Ive ever had this trouble with.As I said before,it all started ages ago when you got proved wrong about something and didnt like it,and after this happened a lot of posts from me have had smart comments from you,like the fuel tank crap, (another argunent)you tried to bring up AGAIN, to make me look stupid.Just grow up.Looks like I shouldnt have bothered editing the post above where Ive apologised to you.Pff.

Wow you must have sat up especially? Go back and read those posts you argue with a lot of people and berate them. If you don't understand that air temperature changes air density then I am not going to bother trying to explain that to you, I don't have to. Go and read up, here you go; Density of air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most carby's on cars have fixed venturi sizes and fuel is sucked in by the air flowing through it due to the pressure drop/change of that air, the carby does not know what the density of the air is. this is why aircraft carby's have variable mixture as they operate over a range of air density's and air density is effected by air temperature it's a simple gas law. I'm not going to entertain your comments that I must always be right and mate I don't care if your wrong, you can believe what you want however if I read something posted that I think is not correct then I am entitled to say so and the person who asked the question can decide. It's not your forum.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
This still going? What was this thread about again? :confused:

There is no point arguing this anymore because people are not willing to articulate the specific circumstances in which their arguments are a valid.

In a cold environment a warm air intake might work best while in a warm environment a cold air intake will work best.

In both environments the ideal intake air temp is the same assuming that in both cases we say humidity is a constant.

The ideal intake air temp is as cool as you can get it without compromising the fuels vaporising and atomising. Thus the limiting factor for how cool you can go with the air entering the cylinders is the fuels ability to do its thing and assuming humidity is a constant.

That's the last thing I'm going to say on this topic because the arguments is getting pointless and is getting completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

Sent from my HTC Magic