Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roll Racing - how to ?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I use 275/40 17 Mickey Thompson Street drag radials, anything less will just smoke the tyres from a 40-60 kph hit.

I really need to get my Race TCS that has sat on the shelf for the last 6 months installed

http://www.racetcs.com/

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
hey @crew chief It looks like a lotta fun.

what type and size of tyres are you running? are you breaking traction?

what's your RWHP?
Is fun mate and legal!
I am running the Raiden Hero Drags (chinese but worth a look) in a 275/40 18 at around 18psi, traction has been really good with the only wheelspin coming once temperatures drop at the track. Car has made 705hp on the hubs at about 14psi on E85

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've been looking at the Mickey Thompsons too but pricey at $760 a tyre https://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/mi...yre-2854018-285-40-18-27x11-50r18-mt3481.html

These Raiden Heros are certainly worth a look at $400.

Do you guys keep the drag radials just for the track? or are you driving around street normally too?

Cheers
My reciept: I paid $478 a tyre in 275/40 17 at ST George tyres in Arncliff on 01 Nov 22.

It helps if you go talk to them and pay cash

The website info from ST George Tyres isn't kept up to date, and if you turn up with cash they typically give you a good deal.

Your best bet is to get the smallest rims that fit your brakes, and the biggest tyres that fit in the wheel well.

I only went 17" because I wanted to match my gold 17" RF1's.

If Simmons made a Gold RF1 in 15 x 9 or 9.5 I would have been running a Mickey T Streets in 275/60 15 for drag or rolling

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bumping this thread. Keen to hear RR updates and give it a try.
Thanks for the bump. For some reason I missed this thread. I'm wanting to do some 1/4 runs on mine. I think I have the ute ready. Replaced anything tired in the driveline, so it should hold together. Our track is in the final stages of being finished and ready for RR and drags.

Some good learnings in this thread. Some serious HP people are running with. I'm looking forward to being able to smash the pedal for a bit of legal fun. I've got a manual and suspected an auto would be better at getting the power down quicker. Be interesting to see how I go. My box shifts best with some revs so we'll be good to see how it fares.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I only use my drag radials for getting to or from the track.

If they are not on the car going to or from they are wrapped in clingwrap and stored out of sunlight.

Driving on drag radials daily is not recommended, they wear really fast, and are average at best in the wet.

Also don't leave drag radials on the car when it is parked up for extended periods, either remove them and store them, or put the car on stands, some people I know do leave them on sitting around for months, but they stick in around 35 psi to try and avoid flat spotting them.

The pic is not my drag radials, it is of some RS4's I picked up, I'm still waiting for the fronts to come in stock, so they, like my drag radials are wrapped and stored.
20230405_144943.thumb.jpg.f8b0b87794d8fef805b0d46de1f8f5a4.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I only use my drag radials for getting to or from the track.

If they are not on the car going to or from they are wrapped in clingwrap and stored out of sunlight.

Driving on drag radials daily is not recommended, they wear really fast, and are average at best in the wet.

Also don't leave drag radials on the car when it is parked up for extended periods, either remove them and store them, or put the car on stands, some people I know do leave them on sitting around for months, but they stick in around 35 psi to try and avoid flat spotting them.

The pic is not my drag radials, it is of some RS4's I picked up, I'm still waiting for the fronts to come in stock, so they, like my drag radials are wrapped and stored.
View attachment 250541
I remove my drag radials at the track and drive home (M/T ET street). I let all the air out of them, and put them in a low cupboard under a workbench out of sunlight obviously.
What's the theory on wrapping them? UV protection or O³ protection?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I probably should have wrapped my bike tyres. I'd say after sitting for over two years they have probably lost some of the stickiness? Shame because they never wear out they just get harder and are no longer sticky enough. Probably ok on the road or in a straight line but not when your 3-4" from the ground and laying it over and want to roll on the throttle.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I remove my drag radials at the track and drive home (M/T ET street). I let all the air out of them, and put them in a low cupboard under a workbench out of sunlight obviously.
What's the theory on wrapping them? UV protection or O³ protection?
Oxidation. The air and the chemicals in the rubber do "science" stuff. The rubber then drys out and gets "harder".

UV does the same evil science.

Not sure about ozone on how it affects the rubbers softness over time, apparently new rubber products are manufactured differently or something and are not as badly affected as they were historically(from a quick google)

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Some good advice here on drag radials. Thanks.

Now I gotta pull my finger out and get some wheels and tyres.

I'll be getting either or 285/40R18 or 275/40R18

I need to buy wheels. Can anyone confirm that a 18 x 10 wheel with a 48 offset will work without rubbing. Or should the offset be different?