Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RPM and Checklight issue with Mace tune with new auto box.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Have happily been using your 'Tune to suit' in my auto 3.8 VX Commodore for a few years now.
(It was to go with your inlet spacers, Cold Air inlet and extractor exhaust).

it's running at 2600rpm when I understand it should be about 1800 in top gear at 100kmh and the 'Check Engine' light comes on and logs a gearbox related code.

All work done professionally.

The original ECU was lost in the black summer bushfires so I can't put it back in to test.

Please is there anything we need to know about putting a replacement gearbox in with one of your tunes?

Thanks.

MACE

Reaction score
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay.

Without knowing the origin of the replacement transmission, we would be guessing what tune to use to a large extent.
Prior to doing this we would highly recommend that you determine what fault codes are coming up.

If they are transmission related codes, assuming you still have your transmission, we would recommend swapping over all of the solenoids and other associated electrical components from inside the transmission (accessible from the valve body once you remove the oil pan), including loom and try this first to resolve the issue.

MACE

Reaction score
Have happily been using your 'Tune to suit' in my auto 3.8 VX Commodore for a few years now.
(It was to go with your inlet spacers, Cold Air inlet and extractor exhaust).

it's running at 2600rpm when I understand it should be about 1800 in top gear at 100kmh and the 'Check Engine' light comes on and logs a gearbox related code.

All work done professionally.

The original ECU was lost in the black summer bushfires so I can't put it back in to test.

Please is there anything we need to know about putting a replacement gearbox in with one of your tunes?

Thanks.
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay.

Without knowing the origin of the replacement transmission, we would be guessing what tune to use to a large extent.
Prior to doing this we would highly recommend that you determine what fault codes are coming up.

If they are transmission related codes, assuming you still have your transmission, we would recommend swapping over all of the solenoids and other associated electrical components from inside the transmission (accessible from the valve body once you remove the oil pan), including loom and try this first to resolve the issue.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Hi there,

Apologies for the delay.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I m still having this issue. Yes, it;s a trans related code.
Diagnostic tool shows a signal from PCM telling the box to shift and I can count 3 gear changes, but the rpm ends up at 2600 instead of 1800 rpm in top gear.

Could it possibly not be going into the 'highway cruise' mode?

The new trans is a professional new build.

A simple question of mine is; "Does the Mace tune in any way impact a new auto trans?"

What do you mean "Without knowing the origin of the replacement transmission, we would be guessing what tune to use..."?
It's already got a tune. Are you saying it's supposed to have another tune to put a new transmission in ?

I don't have the old gearbox to swap anything around.

MACE

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I m still having this issue. Yes, it;s a trans related code.
Diagnostic tool shows a signal from PCM telling the box to shift and I can count 3 gear changes, but the rpm ends up at 2600 instead of 1800 rpm in top gear.

Could it possibly not be going into the 'highway cruise' mode?

The new trans is a professional new build.

A simple question of mine is; "Does the Mace tune in any way impact a new auto trans?"

What do you mean "Without knowing the origin of the replacement transmission, we would be guessing what tune to use..."?
It's already got a tune. Are you saying it's supposed to have another tune to put a new transmission in ?

I don't have the old gearbox to swap anything around.
To help provide you with a solution our tuner wants to speak with you. Can you please send an email to [email protected] with your contact details and the best time to call?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That sounds like an issue with the TPS to me. Faulty TPS will prevent it from going into 4th. Try pulling the engine fuse for 30 seconds. Then try driving it easily up to 100kph. If it goes into fourth then slow down to about 70 then stomp the pedal and see if it fails to hit fourth and chucks a CEL at the same time.

There is another common issue with the fourth gear on these and it's not easily resolved. I can't remember what it is but someone like @EYY knows.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The other person who might know what the other kinda common 4th gear issue is, is @Immortality .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've been thinking about this. If the problem did not exist with the old transmission and the new transmission (built or not) is giving this fault than I'm 99% certain the fault lies with the new transmission.

The only way to truly rule out the tune would be to run a stock PCM to test but as this isn't an option you are kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
I've been thinking about this. If the problem did not exist with the old transmission and the new transmission (built or not) is giving this fault than I'm 99% certain the fault lies with the new transmission.

The only way to truly rule out the tune would be to run a stock PCM to test but as this isn't an option you are kind of between a rock and a hard place.
It's back getting a whole other trans built again, according to local workshop which sends it elsewhere. Would think trying different 'Valve bodies' would be the easier start.

Told the local shop "it's not the original PCM". Reply was "we can see from diagnostic that it's sending a Shift signal to the trans".

Reactions: Lex

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
To help provide you with a solution our tuner wants to speak with you. Can you please send an email to [email protected] with your contact details and the best time to call?
Tried mailing twice in August but rejected twice. Have mailed again just now.