Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Run out of Lpg

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
I got a Vy Series II, it came with Factory fitted Dual fuel and has been running like a dream since the day i bought it
, like i do a lot of kays on the freeway everyday and was wondering what happens if I ever run out of the LPG as we can only switch to Petrol when the RPM is above 1300, so is there a way we can start the car back on petrol or
it switches back to Petrol byitself....

Snerty

Snerty
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais LV2 M21 GU4
Some of the later LPG systems actually switch over to petrol during start up...I.E. The injectors feed fuel until fire up is achieved then it automatically reverts back to LPG. This system was developed with the preservation of the the petrol system in mind. You will know if you have this system when you run out of petrol and your car wont start on gas...

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
Agree, should be able to turn car of, flick over to petrol, and start her up again.. thats how it works on our work vehicles

its not with mine, if the engine is not running and we press the LPG button , nothing happens car only starts on the fuel on which it was before turned off and if the engine is running , i have to rev it above 1300rpm to do the change over, even the car manual says this,, but dosent say what happens if we run out..

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
well all i can say is make sure you don't run out of gas then you will be all good like it's simple if your running lo on gas switch it over to petrol so you atleast have some gas to start it till you can get some where to fill up

plevdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy supercharged
i dont know about factory but i use to do conversions and u shold always start the car and shut the car down on fuel but sorry i dont know about factory

Paul13pp

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Exec Wagon
i dont know about factory but i use to do conversions and u shold always start the car and shut the car down on fuel but sorry i dont know about factory

So If I want to drive 10 minutes down the road to the shops 2 or 3 times a day, I am supposed to switch to petrol to start the engine, then switch it to gas for the drive, then switch it back to petrol before I turn the engine off?
Sounds like a real drama.
Most people I know that have gas never use petrol, nor start their car on petrol.
God help them when the gas system fails.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
you should atleast drive it on petrol for 15 minutes a week so fuel / filter / injector's / line dont get clogged up with crap

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
yeah thats right .. a car should never run completely on just LPG, unless its designed to do so, .. I was told to use 1 whole tank of petrol to every 2-3 tanks of LPG.. Otherwise the valves and stuff dry out and stuffs the engine up