Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Run out of Lpg

jr689

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VYII S 3.8L M5
yeah thats right .. a car should never run completely on just LPG, unless its designed to do so, .. I was told to use 1 whole tank of petrol to every 2-3 tanks of LPG.. Otherwise the valves and stuff dry out and stuffs the engine up

Jeez that kinda defeats the purpose of getting LPG in the first place if you have to run a full tank of petrol through that often... I'd suggest you look into getting a flashlube kit ay mate, I got mine off eBay for like $50!

KB3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Wagon Dual Fuel HBD
I have a VYII Factory Dual Fuel also, you can switch between fuels when A) the ignition is switched on but the engine is not running, or B) when the engine revs are above 1300 rpm. Note the fuel will not change over in reverse.
My VY will start on whatever fuel is selected, just sometimes on LPG it might turn over a bit longer till it fires.
As for running out of LPG, both tanks give Low and Very Low fuel warning reminders so there is really no excuse for running out fuel is there?
Best of luck

chevyshubox

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore
its not with mine, if the engine is not running and we press the LPG button , nothing happens car only starts on the fuel on which it was before turned off and if the engine is running , i have to rev it above 1300rpm to do the change over, even the car manual says this,, but dosent say what happens if we run out..

Hi there im new here but in my experience with LPG you can allways start the car on petrol and then you give it a rev for it to switch to gas. I have never heard of a car on gas that needs to be reved to change to petrol from gas.
I just sold a Magna and an EF falcon and they both started on petrol and switched to gas with a rev to about 1500rpm.
I also had a VY converted to Gas Vapour Injection in January of this year and it also starts on Petrol and switches to gas by itself. Most newer conversions start on petrol automatically as the car will always start easier on petrol especially when cold.
I think you will find that you should only have to rev it to switch to gas and not to switch from gas to petrol. It should easily start on petrol anytime.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
As far as i know, all factory dual fuel systems cold start on petrol (regardless of what it will have you believe) because the LPG system is not tuned to run when cold.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

steve40

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive
I don,t know about early systems but my system(03 vy) will not run out of gas when it gets too low not sure how many litres,it switches back to petrol untill you put gas in

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My factory dual fuel, and the aftermarket dual fuel on my fairmont, both automatically start on petrol regardless of what fuel is selected. If its on gas, it switches to gas automatically as soon as it fires up.

If there is no petrol in the tank, the car will start on gas, it just takes longer. Doesn't do the fuel pump any good though, because it continues to run, dry, so you should avoid ever running low on petrol if possible.

Don't know about shutting it down on petrol though, never heard of that and cant see how the car could do it automatically either, it cant predict when you are going to turn the key off ..

If you are supposed to do it, I never have, and I've done maybe half a million k's on gas in several cars with no issues.

With my current VS Berlina with factory dual fuel, I have to come to a complete stop to change fuels ( but I can leave the motor running, just keep the throttle up a bit while I hit the switch ).

In my EL Fairmont with aftermarket gas, you can do it anytime. I prefer that... if the car gives a cough running out of fuel just hit the button and switch fuels, no big deal. The factory setup in the Berlina means I have to actually stop first.

Gas either works or it doesn't too, so there is no warning, it just dies. With the aftermarket gas if you can hit the switch within a couple seconds the car will keep going, but with the factory version that's not possible. I would have to coast to a stop, then switch fuels and start it up again.

The plus side of factory gas though is that I only have one fuel gauge, which displays whichever fuel I am using at the time, and the trip computer still works accurately regardless of which fuel I am on.

Using a tank of petrol every few tanks? My Fairmont has 500k on the clock, 400k of that with dual fuel, and its never had petrol added unless it was real low, either from use starting or having used it as emergency fuel. I doubt I would use a tank of petrol more than once every 6 months. The old 4L is still running well. No, it wasn't a taxi either, all the k's are mine :) When I do use petrol though, it works just fine. Never had a problem.

Last edited: