Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running E85

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
What's the power gain between 98 and e85 on a N/A LS? Reason I ask, it is considerably more expensive to run a car on e85. You're at around $2.20ish per litre then approx 30% higher fuel consumption on-top of that.

According to dyno's I've seen, not a great deal, though I have no doubt I'd be able to tell what mine is running on if I didnt know what it was filled with. Engine feels more lively and a bit more powerful. I'd run it all the time if it was a bit cheaper. Seems to be rapidly diminishing returns above 30-50% ethanol N/A, so not a lot is required.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
You guys are getting farked over. Be nearly cheaper to buy it in 200L drums from BP soon the way that price is heading. Was $2.2xL last time I filled up a couple of weeks back out here in regional Vic.
Might be worth ringing up the racetracks to see what they're charging. They're usually more expensive but you never know.

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
217.9 at my local today, I run it fairly often just to keep some content in the tank because I too love that smell. I would not bother running E85 if n/a unless there was a lot more than stock compression involved.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
We have one bowser left and it's about half a tank away from me. 50 untapped horses, so close yet so impractical

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Engine feels more lively and a bit more powerful. I'd run it all the time if it was a bit cheaper. Seems to be rapidly diminishing returns above 30-50% ethanol N/A, so not a lot is required.
I'd have been interested in giving it a try; but I know it takes 2-3 tanks in a row to get a proper feel for it, and I've never been in a situation where I'm anywhere near an E85 bowser and know I'll be near another one the next time I need fuel.

I understand what you mean with the engine feeling a bit more lively ... I liken it to being in a boat which has pulled itself up into aquaplaning, the right foot has an almost intangible extra effect in terms of acceleration but because there's less effort on your part the car just seems more willing. I always ran our VS Ecomoo on ULP95 (or 98 if 95 not available) 'cos it had this same effect over 91 ... and once I was used to the feel on 95, it felt like something wasn't right on 91, it was like you were towing a loaded trailer or had four 100kg mates in the car.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
We have one bowser left and it's about half a tank away from me. 50 untapped horses, so close yet so impractical
should get a 200L drum and fill it up then just use it when u need to, put some e85 stabilizer in it and give it a stir once a month and it will be good for bout 1-2 years