Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Mobile Phone Ban for L and P1 Drivers

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Alien, why on earth were you looking for 50 people while driving on the road? you weren't going to find them there. UHFs is what would have been a smarter option during a search (which is what the SES use, who conduct searches, so i think your just making crap up)
Firstly, we were using UHF as well, Military spec UHF radios, however in dense forest they're not the best to communicate. This was from my days of the AIRTC now Australian Air Force Cadets. Being a Non Commisioned Officer of the age of 18 or over puts you liable for anything that happens on training exercises to anyone. We do joint training exercises with army, navy and or air force as well so driving is needed for some exercises. As for searches the protocol is to go searching yourself first as if they are lost we have the best knowledge of where they are, we alert the authorities and they can take their time to get there. So being first response is critical.

As for why i would be driving in the first place to then get the call, getting supplies or setting up for a training exercise or even evacuating injured or critical cases to an ambulance accesible place (air or road ambulance).

As part of organising these training excersises we have many documents to fill out prior to approval being granted for the exercise from headquarters, this includes a form called a RAMP (Risk Assessment Management Protocol). On this form any foreseable problems are recorded (from Public Outrage to Seiges), and how we will combat them. Pretty much the only way that these activities get approved is with mobile communication and sometimes it is only possible for the driver of a vehicle to make that call.

yeeeezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VZ Calais (on P's)
As has already been said, Police are exempt from these laws when in the line of Duty. This goes for talking on mobile phones aswell. Assuming they need to make a call while driving as a part of their job.

thats stupid IMO just because there "on duty" doesnt mean they cant be affected with laps of concentration etc i can see why there exempt but i was mearly making a point of if we wanted every-one to be treated the same police would have too be included

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
There is no reason that a regular bloke is going to need to answer the bloody phone whilst driving that badly that it cannot wait until you have found a spot to pull over. Too many accidents and near misses are caused by people on phones to justify the slight convenience that answering a call now as opposed to in 5 minutes time presents.

Also, if you're trying to talk to 50 people at once via both phone and UHF whilst driving then you're either telling porky pies or just flat out stupid. Pull over ffs, is a bloody CADET exercise more important than the life of the guy you run down because you were distracted talking on the phone?

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
Also Alien, theres a big difference between current "military spec" equipment and the hand-me-downs that the cadets get to play with... Why do you feel the need to hint that you are a full time serviceman in every thread? Why not just come out and say "I help out with the army cadets" instead of trying to talk yourself up by dropping a few hints....

Sorry about the rant guys, had to get it out...

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Firstly, we were using UHF as well, Military spec UHF radios, however in dense forest they're not the best to communicate. This was from my days of the AIRTC now Australian Air Force Cadets. Being a Non Commisioned Officer of the age of 18 or over puts you liable for anything that happens on training exercises to anyone. We do joint training exercises with army, navy and or air force as well so driving is needed for some exercises. As for searches the protocol is to go searching yourself first as if they are lost we have the best knowledge of where they are, we alert the authorities and they can take their time to get there. So being first response is critical.

As for why i would be driving in the first place to then get the call, getting supplies or setting up for a training exercise or even evacuating injured or critical cases to an ambulance accesible place (air or road ambulance).

As part of organising these training excersises we have many documents to fill out prior to approval being granted for the exercise from headquarters, this includes a form called a RAMP (Risk Assessment Management Protocol). On this form any foreseable problems are recorded (from Public Outrage to Seiges), and how we will combat them. Pretty much the only way that these activities get approved is with mobile communication and sometimes it is only possible for the driver of a vehicle to make that call.

Clearly if its dealing with emergency services, you'd be exempt. Were talking about a normal motorist on their way to work, or even jenny talking to sally about that cool new outfit she just bought.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats stupid IMO just because there "on duty" doesnt mean they cant be affected with laps of concentration etc i can see why there exempt but i was mearly making a point of if we wanted every-one to be treated the same police would have too be included

Do you even know the laws atm? What about speed? Thats dangerous yet the cops can do it, running red lights? Dangerous, but the cops do it. Think about what your posting. They've always been exempt. Were discussing normal motorists.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i was refering too this part "NO-ONE OR EVERY-ONE" your the one who didnt define where "every-one" stops at normal motorists

Anyone with half a brain understands i'm talking about people who aren't already exempt from the law.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
calm down its only a forum

Your right, i gave you way too much credit before. My bad, i'll dumb it down from now on for you.