Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Mobile Phone Ban for L and P1 Drivers

227shanno

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 5.7
try riding a motorbike when your mobile rings! by the time you pull over and get a glove off and get your helmet off its long gone

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
ok enough of this crap.

The letter and new laws are a waste of time and money, why?

simple answer.

Do any of these things in the first place being on p1's or p2's would see you bent over by your local patrol cop. How do i know?, its the reason Im back on p1's.

Before this they just adjusted another law to cover what they wanted to get you for, touching ANY electrical device with two fingers, was what they count as use of a mobile phone (even if its an ipod touch, if cop believed at the time of detecting you it was an iphone or any sort of phone, bam).

Using a loud speaker, bluetooth or handsfree kit? failure to maintain effective control of a vehicle.

So there you have it, the glossy letter sent out to everyon was just a waste of taxpayer money, and its another excuse for them to pin more blame on l and p's which im sure we're all pretty tired of.

The police already targeted all the problems presented with existing laws.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Had a woman in her mid 40's I reckon behind me in peak traffic the other night talking on her mobile, kept swapping ears, as we were crawling along, she was writing stuff down. Twice she nearly hit me and a few times she was so distracted by her call she failed to move forward with the traffic. This went on for a good 10 mins.

Point is, why just P Platers - why not everyone? This female was clearly more focussed on a phone call than moving her vehicle safely through traffic.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Firstly, we were using UHF as well, Military spec UHF radios, however in dense forest they're not the best to communicate. This was from my days of the AIRTC now Australian Air Force Cadets. Being a Non Commisioned Officer of the age of 18 or over puts you liable for anything that happens on training exercises to anyone. We do joint training exercises with army, navy and or air force as well so driving is needed for some exercises. As for searches the protocol is to go searching yourself first as if they are lost we have the best knowledge of where they are, we alert the authorities and they can take their time to get there. So being first response is critical.

As for why i would be driving in the first place to then get the call, getting supplies or setting up for a training exercise or even evacuating injured or critical cases to an ambulance accesible place (air or road ambulance).

As part of organising these training excersises we have many documents to fill out prior to approval being granted for the exercise from headquarters, this includes a form called a RAMP (Risk Assessment Management Protocol). On this form any foreseable problems are recorded (from Public Outrage to Seiges), and how we will combat them. Pretty much the only way that these activities get approved is with mobile communication and sometimes it is only possible for the driver of a vehicle to make that call.

Im curious what makes a radio "military spec"? Certainly no super fandangle radios back in my time, last ones I seen also were really no different to good radios you can buy in a shop? It could be that being in the army we didn't get to use this awesome military spec radio? Oh they also work fine in dense forest, in fact, they even worked really well in Tully, so not sure what you are talking about there, perhaps it was because the radio had different DPCU? Not sure. Also, what radio is UHF? VHF/FM as far as I was aware for cadets as they use the AN/PRC-77 boxes, not the ravens/wag/pintails.

Stop making out like your some super important person in the armed forces/police whatever, it is getting ****ing tiring. You were a CADET, cadets are and always will be NOTHING. No special powers, no access to fancy equipment, nothing. Not sure what joint training exercises you were doing, but I am unsure as to when the military started doing exercises with cadets. Will happily ask a couple of people I know in Land Command Brigade and will admit if and when I am wrong, but last I heard any exercise done by the military with civilians rarely involved cadets, in fact until now I had never heard of it.

Had a woman in her mid 40's I reckon behind me in peak traffic the other night talking on her mobile, kept swapping ears, as we were crawling along, she was writing stuff down. Twice she nearly hit me and a few times she was so distracted by her call she failed to move forward with the traffic. This went on for a good 10 mins.

Point is, why just P Platers - why not everyone? This female was clearly more focussed on a phone call than moving her vehicle safely through traffic.

Sash, best way to get these people if your car is loud is to just free rev it :D Or if your beside them, honk your horn, I had a guy almost run me off the road as I was honking every 2 seconds while he was talking and driving rofl.

(Alien, no i do not give a **** if it is illegal to honk a horn)

Last edited:

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
vic has had these laws for ages so as someone else said.... suck it up

Mr_Clubsport

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
lol.... just posted this up for SA peopel to be informed... who moved it in the pub *glares*

I think the laws should be for everyone... i knwo i use my phone and its rather distracting... :S

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
thats stupid IMO just because there "on duty" doesn't mean they cant be affected with laps of concentration etc i can see why there exempt but i was mearly making a point of if we wanted every-one to be treated the same police would have too be included

The action targets YOUNG DRIVER's in particular, that is to say, generally, those with least experience and maturity. The latter word *may* be a bit of a stretch, sometimes.

We are only doing in AUS as is done OS already.

Texting and driving Vid, 4mins - download and view it. A few additional at the web.
YouTube - Texting While Driving PSA

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Anyone with half a brain understands i'm talking about people who aren't already exempt from the law.

Exactly..I think Yeeezy is just covering up that he didn't get the point in the first place.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Hmmm this would sure make quite a few jobs difficult to do!