Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandman's R33 Skyline Drift project

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So, more exciting wiring updates. Finished wiring up the connector for the pressure/temp sensor. Looks nice and neat, will jump into the ECU software tomorrow or over the weekend and setup the sensor in there next. Trying to work on the one small job a night rather than trying to spend a heap of time smashing heaps of tasks on one single day.

ckxOhSC.jpg

er8FnbN.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So, more exciting wiring updates. Finished wiring up the connector for the pressure/temp sensor. Looks nice and neat, will jump into the ECU software tomorrow or over the weekend and setup the sensor in there next. Trying to work on the one small job a night rather than trying to spend a heap of time smashing heaps of tasks on one single day.

ckxOhSC.jpg

er8FnbN.jpg
Was that intended to be a sarcastic first line?
Because I do find wiring fun, and your update exciting.

Also, your 1 a night process is very good, that's basically my entire truck build which only got maybe a dozen big work days on it and hundreds of 'little bit after work each night' type days.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah haha. I like having neat, tidy and well done wiring. Not so much doing it though.

But yeah, at the moment I work 7 days a week so I've only got evenings to work on stuff, when I have the motivation to...

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So finally had some holidays and been slowly chipping away at this. Firstly finally got the rest of the turbo lines made up out of 200 series AN Line and heat wrapped, then mounted the turbo and lines back up to the engine, which with all the heat wrap and lack of space took so much longer than it really should of. Next was mounting the intercooler more solidly than it had been previously, made some wedges up out of rubber for the top mount to correct the fact that the mount is bent on 90 degrees and the intercool is rolled back slightly.

From there the fuel pressure reg needed to be finally mounted securely as its spent far too long floating in the engine bay with zip ties. I drew a mount up in solidworks and then transferred it to a piece of alloy. Its too thick really as it doesn't allow for the circlip but its a starting point. And enough to get the car mobile and all the lines/wires run to the correct length. If it wasn't the middle of the christmas break I'd be able to get thinner material and access to a folder, but because I didn't it was angle grinder and bending it on whatever I cound find it the garage. The first bend on the timber work bench went averagely as expected and was rather crooked so swapped to a metal pederstal which is meant to be holding my vice which is also still in progress.

Next up was cleaning up the hole in for the cold side cooler piping in the engine bay which was a hacked up hole saw and grinder job a couple of days before my first event back in 2019. It worked but always looked crap, so it was cleaned up with the die grinder and a flap disc, beaten flat where required and finally trimmed with some pinch weld. From there the ECU needed mounting better than it was, at some point I removed the factory mounting pieces from the case and have since misplaced the important ones, so again the too thick sheet of alloy came out and made up this mount. Its not installed yet as I only got bolts for it today, but will get done if its not too hot to push the car in and out of the garage tomorrow.

Got the turbo drain sorted with 400 series AN line.
a11OHcM.jpg

Made some wedges out of rubber to correct the angle with the intercooler and the bracket that holds it
dK6HblR.jpg

Makeshift FPR Braket
UJmtcNc.jpg

OFNYrZH.jpg

The roughly cut hole on the cold side
eHvSDek.jpg

Tidies up and flattened where required
VhrM7DD.jpg

Pinch weld rubber added (pegs holding it in place whilst the epoxy died)
prUvKw0.jpg

ibBU5yH.jpg

Makeshift ECU bracket
RjD8qpc.jpg

Threw the bumper back on to save space, see the long to do list on the bonnet, though some at least is crossed off now.
CUfKftm.jpg

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Decent bracket for a home job. Did you cardboard the template first?

Reactions: Lex

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
The FPR braket I drew up in CAD first, printed a flat pattern and traced that, the ECU mount was just taking measurements then cutting/bending to suit. Will probably get both laser cut down the track and folded properly. But at least the components will be secure for now just a little ugly still haha.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Nice.

Just a note that generally 90 degree bracket would be more fatigue resistant if you stamped a couple of gussets on each of the bends. But if I understand correctly, your (nice looking) brackets are just a temp job for now so it not that critical for now :cool:

There was a video somewhere on the forum showing how such gussets can be stamped on the bracket bends using a blunted chisel, a big hammer and a big vice. Haven’t been able to find that video :( I vaguely remember it was some Aussie car modding garage on YouTube ;)

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
The FPR bracket it temporary, though the final one will be roughly the same just finished far better, with the FPR weighing all of 100g I'd say even a thinner bracket would still be overkill but I'll check out the gusseting as if it can be useful it'll be handy to know.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
So yesterday got the ECU and Mac Valve mounted (with rubber isolator behind it). Bought the wrong hose from the shops though, so only one half of it is plumbed. But otherwise just waiting on a fitting to fit the FPR sensor then the car can run once again.
PkbvVrE.jpg