Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
So if anyone knows of a reasonably priced VB-VK LSD in vic let me know please.

lol, goooood luck with that.

i fluked a 3.55 LSD disc to disc off ebay for 500 bucks back in 09' if you keep you keep watching ebay they come up time to time. its best if you get a full V8 'big' salisbury so you have discs and whatnot on it already.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Next step is to convert the rear to disc brakes and hopefully a LSD, followed by a 4 speed conversion eventually. So if anyone knows of a reasonably priced VB-VK LSD in vic let me know please.

I've got a 3 speed in my hj with a hydraulic clutch and it's awesome. Especially cause I'm too lazy to change through too many gears :p. But that has a cam, higher compression, injected head/manifold, extractors etc so it doesn't really struggle to pull the taller gear... When it's actually running lol

They have a shorter first than most 4 speeds (except m22's which only came out behind one tonners), and have a long second gear which I find really good for built up areas. Best thing is that they're so cheap.

For the diff, it would be probably similar in price to modify a live axle bw78 out of a vn-vs commodore. That way you have a near bulletproof diff, great brakes and there's the availability of aftermarket centres (and still heaps of good standard lsd centres). There's a bit of cutting and welding involved though, and the tailshaft would need work.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
lol, goooood luck with that.

i fluked a 3.55 LSD disc to disc off ebay for 500 bucks back in 09' if you keep you keep watching ebay they come up time to time. its best if you get a full V8 'big' salisbury so you have discs and whatnot on it already.
Yeah I know, hence why I was wondering if one of you lot knew of any sitting in a shed somewhere :p

Eyy, yeah the other idea i had was get a cheap vb-vk bw78, and use a LSD center from a from a VN-VS and then would only have to modify the shafts not the whole housing.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Whats the going rate for a LSD center for a 10 bolt sals anyway? Found a 10 bolt disc to disc for $100 on gumtree.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
On the subject of disc braked diffs.....Depending on what ratio the disc braker is, you may not need to modify the tailshaft....I have a 3.08 disc brake diff, which required the larger unis...(V8 if you wish to call them)....I also have a 2.78 disc braked diff here, which takes the standard 6 cyl unis.....shaft lengths with both diffs are identical...

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Cheers for that mate, all the ones I'm looking at are a 3.08's. I probably won't end up installing it till I do the manual conversion (bloody ages away) anyway so a new tailshaft is on the cards already.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Cheers for that mate, all the ones I'm looking at are a 3.08's. I probably won't end up installing it till I do the manual conversion (bloody ages away) anyway so a new tailshaft is on the cards already.

Just get the rear uni section replaced to accept the V8 uni....last one I had done cost me $200 for the cut, re-weld and re balance....so it gives you a rough idea on costing and how to go about it if you wish to go that direction

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Cheers for the info mate, I'm looking to head to some swapmeets again soon and see what I can find, not many on at the time of the year though sadly.
Also some more pics from Friday because everyone loves pics.
20140627_164054.jpg

20140627_164110.jpg

20140627_211525.jpg

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
On the subject of disc braked diffs.....Depending on what ratio the disc braker is, you may not need to modify the tailshaft....I have a 3.08 disc brake diff, which required the larger unis...(V8 if you wish to call them)....I also have a 2.78 disc braked diff here, which takes the standard 6 cyl unis.....shaft lengths with both diffs are identical...

there are 2 types of 10 bolts. the bigs and the littles. the littles are for 6's and 253's, the bigs are for V8's. there are other differences between the bigs and smalls which i cant remember right now, but its best if you want strength later on to go for a big salisbury, rather than just switching a yoke.

also with the ratio of the crown wheel, its best to go for the biggest you can find, because ive read there will need to be modifications to the housing to get a larger crown wheel to fit.

in hindsight, i would do what EYY suggested and get a VN live axle. just replacement parts alone would make the swap more viable.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
there are 2 types of 10 bolts. the bigs and the littles. the littles are for 6's and 253's, the bigs are for V8's. there are other differences between the bigs and smalls which i cant remember right now, but its best if you want strength later on to go for a big salisbury, rather than just switching a yoke.

also with the ratio of the crown wheel, its best to go for the biggest you can find, because ive read there will need to be modifications to the housing to get a larger crown wheel to fit.

in hindsight, i would do what EYY suggested and get a VN live axle. just replacement parts alone would make the swap more viable.

All due respect, the 2.78 geared disc braker I have came from a VH SLE, fitted with a factory 308 and it has a small yoke on the diff (ie 6cyl unis)...The 3.08 disc braker came out of a 253 powered VB and it is fitted with the larger unis (ieV8)

You can't switch diff yokes between the 2 different diffs....the spline on the diff yoke is different between the 2...the tailshaft needs to have the universal section replaced.