Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandst4rm's VP Ute Resto Thread

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Is the rear cover stuck down? or just attached at the retainer?
Was thinking I need to glue some marine carpet type stuff on that area to cover it.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Is the rear cover stuck down? or just attached at the retainer?
Was thinking I need to glue some marine carpet type stuff on that area to cover it.
Nah its just sewn into the retainer and it hangs down over the back. Might put few safety pins in the bottom through the carpet just so the seats dont push it, then again should be fine anyway.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Small update: I have decided I won't bore it out so much just in case the coolant overheats from the thin walls. Prob will go like .030 over since the bearings are also .030 i think its more fitting.

Still waiting for the conrods to get here before i can have the block done and balanced.

Got quoted $1,000 per door to do my doorcards that i have already prepped for glue and supplied the vinyl. Safe to say im doing that myself.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update!

No further progress on the mechanical side of things.

I have ordered some new white steelies 16x7 5x120 +25 which i'm going to have bored out to 69.5mm CB instead of 65.1mm CB that they come new as.
Nobody wants to make the white powder coated ones for commos; only the black ones. If i wanted black ones id'e just use the 4 i already have.

Interior is now complete! my nice "$1,000 each" door trims i did myself for $70 each (materials) are on board with chrome metal stato door handles ($25) on the inside.

Screenshot (3319).png

Screenshot (3320).png

I had the seats cleaned by a local detailer for $50 already out of the car and put some B&M seatcovers in there; just to get rid of the last major bit of grey that was making it look dirty. The seats are near mint he did a great job but they aren't blue so obviously; yeah...
The seats didn't come up factory mint condition but they are 25 years old or more so.

The cardboard is just there for sunshades because I don't think anyone makes side window sunshades for VN-VS commo.
If they do please let me know as i'll buy them promptly!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Update!

No further progress on the mechanical side of things.

I have ordered some new white steelies 16x7 5x120 +25 which i'm going to have bored out to 69.5mm CB instead of 65.1mm CB that they come new as.
Nobody wants to make the white powder coated ones for commos; only the black ones. If i wanted black ones id'e just use the 4 i already have.

Interior is now complete! my nice "$1,000 each" door trims i did myself for $70 each (materials) are on board with chrome metal stato door handles ($25) on the inside.

View attachment 262530
View attachment 262531

I had the seats cleaned by a local detailer for $50 already out of the car and put some B&M seatcovers in there; just to get rid of the last major bit of grey that was making it look dirty. The seats are near mint he did a great job but they aren't blue so obviously; yeah...
The seats didn't come up factory mint condition but they are 25 years old or more so.

The cardboard is just there for sunshades because I don't think anyone makes side window sunshades for VN-VS commo.
If they do please let me know as i'll buy them promptly!
The mesh spring shades might fit?
Otherwise chop down a foil one to fit? Should get both windows out of a windscreen piece?

Reactions: Lex

vu2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ls1 m6 s-pack
Love this build. Hand drawn is sometimes the only way. Maybe try stickthis and see if they can make some SV4000 decals? Keen to see progress on the engine rebuild too.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Love this build. Hand drawn is sometimes the only way. Maybe try stickthis and see if they can make some SV4000 decals? Keen to see progress on the engine rebuild too.
Jason will make all sorts of custom stuff. Just message them.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are some SV4000 stickers already online for people doing straight 6 swaps but i think they say "barra" in the 2 lines through the middle...

Not very fitting for the big S1 buick to have barra on it is it.

I got a new cluster from a V6 VP Berlina a bloke was wrecking ($50) with rev gauge. Swapped lens to my old one because it was cleaner, cleaned the faces of the gauges and swapped any blown bulbs like left indicator for example. I expect the odometer doesn't work since it's on EXACTLY 200,001 km but don't particularly care the other one was stuck as well.

Made sure to check the rear circuit "board" for what pin did what and is identical to my working original one.

Had a broken circuit near the fuel gauge/temp plugs so soldered that up and taped over any exposed copper. Fuel gauge works but is slow as is standard from factory haha. Cant test the others yet obviously...

Screenshot (3342).png

I could not get the steering wheel back off so i had to carefully slide the cluster past it, I obviously put it on way too well cause thing was not budging at all. (threads and splines are fine)

Got a new emissions sticker and coolant overflow sticker from rarespares since the engine bay repaint required me to shred the old one off the strut tower.

A spider of the cobweb long legged variety had taken up residence in the passenger quarter window so i destroyed his web but he got away...

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
There are some SV4000 stickers already online for people doing straight 6 swaps but i think they say "barra" in the 2 lines through the middle...

Not very fitting for the big S1 buick to have barra on it is it.

I got a new cluster from a V6 VP Berlina a bloke was wrecking ($50) with rev gauge. Swapped lens to my old one because it was cleaner, cleaned the faces of the gauges and swapped any blown bulbs like left indicator for example. I expect the odometer doesn't work since it's on EXACTLY 200,001 km but don't particularly care the other one was stuck as well.

Made sure to check the rear circuit "board" for what pin did what and is identical to my working original one.

Had a broken circuit near the fuel gauge/temp plugs so soldered that up and taped over any exposed copper. Fuel gauge works but is slow as is standard from factory haha. Cant test the others yet obviously...

View attachment 263891

I could not get the steering wheel back off so i had to carefully slide the cluster past it, I obviously put it on way too well cause thing was not budging at all. (threads and splines are fine)

Got a new emissions sticker and coolant overflow sticker from rarespares since the engine bay repaint required me to shred the old one off the strut tower.

A spider of the cobweb long legged variety had taken up residence in the passenger quarter window so i destroyed his web but he got away...
You can fix the odo by replacing the cog. It’s a few screws and a bit of fiddling, but not too difficult.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
^^ drill hole through perspex for 2nd screw it becomes 5-10min job & dont have to touch speedo needle or face.

Mine lasted 5 years but noticed odometer....never push reset if car moving.

Reckon vp dash has nicest instruments from vn to vs just because of the blue on small increments lol