Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Satellite navigation evoke model

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So there was nothing technical to stop Holden using off the shelf maps and having a map supplier provide updates directly to car owners (just like many other brands do). Guess accountants wanted GM/H to sit between the suppier and customer to rent seek which has screwed us all :(
It would have cost them money to go outside the GM product they had access to, and they'd have had to ask a higher purchase-price for the car as a result.

PS: my VF is not EOL in my view, it's still got 5 years of warranty left so any firmware issues, hardware issues, and the like need to be addressed as part of their ACL obligations.
I hope they don't leave the country to avoid such liabilities!
Mind you, I doubt that warranty is actually held with Holden - is it? Although whoever's got that liability can't fix something for which all the source-material & IP doesn't exist any more.

Saying this, I like that the MyLink is still aware of traffic incidents which is cool.
Ours is totally useless at that. Must be a coverage thing, Sydney ain't worth covering or something. Only alerts I've ever seen have been after its way too late to do anything about it (or it'd cleared-up by the time we got the warning).

does this also apply to kits from envyous customs?
I think their kits mostly introduce 'phone connectivity, which gives you free maps for as long as the 'phones continue to support that version of connectivity. But most aftermarket SatNav gets you free upgrades these days, if they offer installation of just SatNav.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
i know what you are saying but it does not matter how you/we want to perceive it because it will come down to how the accc would view it in the end and not having an updated map does not violate acl because there was nothing stated during the sale that specified that the maps would be updated.
now if you can find literature that specifies they would be provided for a certain time then you have something to work with.

not having updated maps does not break the navigation system and unless it was specifically defined during the sale that map updates would be supplied then acl will not help you.

a firmware problem could break the infotainment system so they "could" be forced to fix that but unless it is severe and widespread gm and the accc will ignore it.
recalls and safety issues of any nature will be addressed and the accc will enforce those and the eps issue falls into that category but map updates no.
some safety issues the accc will enforce well after EOL, just look at the takata airbag issue.

technically map updates would be classed as an "accessory" and sold separately so there is no actual law that would state they have to keep providing the map updates unless it was defined during the sale.
page 153 owners manual
MAP DATA UPDATES
The map data in the vehicle is the most up-to-date information available when the vehicle was produced. The map data is updated periodically, provided that the map information has changed.
To check for the availability of updated maps , contact your dealer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or check with me. I can tell you.
They aren't available because there aren't any, there never will be any more, and maps from about 2016 are the newest that will ever be in a Commodore unless someone uses their hackery-pokery skills to repackage the maps into the wrapper/format that Holden used.

I have a 7 year factory warranty.
I thought I had a 5yr factory warranty, turned out I had a 3yr factory warranty & a 2yr extended warranty under factory-warranty conditions but requiring approval from the owner of the warranty's liability rather than Holden ...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@stooge, ACL also covers services and it’s implicit in the sale that periodic map updates are provided as a service since without accurate maps, sat nav is indeed useless. The level of uselessness is highlighted by statements where for example @mpower says he’d done with MyLink sat nav after 3 years (and comments when others use their phone as a substitute which is a common statement on the forum).

@Forg, I’m sure that internal transfer price for access to the gm sat nav data could have been more costly to Holden than had it gone to an external supplied... but can’t transfer tax free cash to the Bahama’s by doin* the later. :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
page 153 owners manual
MAP DATA UPDATES
The map data in the vehicle is the most up-to-date information available when the vehicle was produced. The map data is updated periodically, provided that the map information has changed.

That does not specify that map updates will be made available for any period of time.

While it does state that the map data is updated periodically it does not specify a threshold of what information needs to change or how much needs to change for them to update it but it does state to check the availability and if there is no update available then tough luck.

You need actual literature that specifies "map updates will be provided for X time" or something along those lines.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ The map information hasn't changed; because the map information being talked about as "changing" is the map information which Holden makes/made available. That hasn't changed since 2018, and won't change.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@stooge, ACL also covers services and it’s implicit in the sale that periodic map updates are provided as a service since without accurate maps, sat nav is indeed useless. The level of uselessness is highlighted by statements where for example @mpower says he’d done with MyLink sat nav after 3 years (and comments when others use their phone as a substitute which is a common statement on the forum).

if you paid for a map update in say 2016 as a "service" that service had the most up to date information at the time of purchase so you cant claim 4 years later that the service is bad and think acl will cover you, that is not how it works mate.

the sat nav is not useless, it is working as it was at the time of purchase and that is what counts.
it is like saying you bought a phone in 2014 and because it does not have the latest update 6 years later that it is useless and does not work.

like i said before unless the dealer or manufacturer specifically stated at the time of sale that the maps would be updated for life, 2 years, 5 weeks or so then they do not legally have to supply it because the sat nav works.
if something was to cause the sat nav to stop working then they would have to fix it under warranty/acl.