Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Satellite navigation evoke model

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The average punter wouldn't have much experience with in-car SatNav systems if they have that expectation ... in my (limited admittedly) experience, the systems in 6-digit-cost cars are usually not as good (certainly no better) as what you can buy for $300 down your local JB HiFi. Integration with the car's infotainment/controls is really the only place any standard-install system that I've ever seen is better than free map software for your 'phone. In fact, a mate with a Cayman GT4 (~$220k) was recently looking at methods of getting Car Play in his (2017 I think) car ... I didn't ask why, but as it already plays music & does the text-to-voice etc thing with messages, it can only be for the purpose of using the 'phone SatNav.

The other thing is the VF is a bit of a parts bin second generation VE which is a 2006 vehicle! The leap over the VE is quite massive.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The other thing is the VF is a bit of a parts bin second generation VE which is a 2006 vehicle! The leap over the VE is quite massive.

I agree with you about Mylink over the IQ, but the 2016 IQ Nav update is more 'up to date' than the 2017 database in the Mylink...

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
you can upgrade it by installing a mylink with navigation from another vehicle.
you can get away with just upgrading the base unit(silverbox) and keep your old screen/buttons but if you want the dest/nav button combo you need to update the screen and button module.
the evoke also has no gps ant so you will need to buy one from ebay with a "fakra" connector for about 20 bucks.

you will need the base unit(silverbox) programmed with your vehicles vin number for it to work in your vehicle.
put the gps ant up in the roof somewhere, do not put it next to the mylink because the mylink will screw with the gps signal.

here is a ebay link to the hardware you need to replace, this has no cd player if you want a cd player you need to source the hardware from a series 1 vf
[/URL]

and the gps ant
[/URL]
I'm going down this path myself with my SV6.
Have bought a satnav head and screen (with buttons) off ebay, which is ex a series 1 Redline sedan, so I can still use CD/DVD.
Question time - since it is from a sedan and I have wagon, will the parking sensor warning screen show the outline of a sedan or will it know (via BCM etc) that it is now living inside a wagon?
Also, the external GPS antenna - you commented on "putting it in the roof somewhere" in another post. Does this mean between the roof and the headlining, since I imagine that this would cause more shielding from signal due to steel roof than just sticking it under the dash, as far away as possible from the head unit, but with clear sight of the windscreen.
ta.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
I have wagon, will the parking sensor warning screen show the outline of a sedan or will it know (via BCM etc) that it is now living inside a wagon?
I dont think it makes a difference to the parking sensor screen. I have a sedan, parents have a wagon. I don’t recall this screen being different between the two...

I think where you may have trouble is the angle of the guidelines for the camera. Sedan cameras are centred, where as the wagon ones are to the right(?) and gives the video feed a really weird angle that may not be true to the lines.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I'm going down this path myself with my SV6.
Have bought a satnav head and screen (with buttons) off ebay, which is ex a series 1 Redline sedan, so I can still use CD/DVD.
Question time - since it is from a sedan and I have wagon, will the parking sensor warning screen show the outline of a sedan or will it know (via BCM etc) that it is now living inside a wagon?
Also, the external GPS antenna - you commented on "putting it in the roof somewhere" in another post. Does this mean between the roof and the headlining, since I imagine that this would cause more shielding from signal due to steel roof than just sticking it under the dash, as far away as possible from the head unit, but with clear sight of the windscreen.
ta.

it would need to be programmed to display a wagon

you can put the gps ant up above the sunglass holder and it will work or if you like inside the plastic trim at the bottom of the passenger A pillar.
as long as you put it below the airbag it is fine.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
I dont think it makes a difference to the parking sensor screen. I have a sedan, parents have a wagon. I don’t recall this screen being different between the two...

I think where you may have trouble is the angle of the guidelines for the camera. Sedan cameras are centred, where as the wagon ones are to the right(?) and gives the video feed a really weird angle that may not be true to the lines.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just install it and see what it does.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
it would need to be programmed to display a wagon

you can put the gps ant up above the sunglass holder and it will work or if you like inside the plastic trim at the bottom of the passenger A pillar.
as long as you put it below the airbag it is fine.
Ta stooge. Dunno how it would be programmed to show a white wagon on the screen, it's probaly something that would not bother me too much. I didn't pay a lot for it, so would have paid heaps more to get one previously in a wagon.
I feel more comfortable putting the GPS receiver behind something plastic (the trim as you suggest or in the dash far away from the magnetic field created by the mylink headunit), rather than behind metal e.g. the roof. The 3 metre lead length limits options a bit. And the genuine sat nav antenna base is pricey, plus running cable to the Fakra connector would be painful.
Anyway, it's a nice little project and it has obviously been done many times.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride

Yep you are right, @Z31na , I have now finally installed the replacement unit (after changing the VIN) and the guide lines are slightly distorted. Will see how bad the p*ss-me-off factor is over time.
I tried swapping parts between old and new screen/buttons combination, but the Nav/Dest buttons do not work unless the nav buttons are matched to the nav screen. Thus the head unit must provide the image correction (although my desktop research suggested they have same part number sedan/wagon for same software date).
The screen also shows a sedan instead of a wagon, in any combination of parts. This doesn't bother me much but shows it thinks it is still in a sedan.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I tried swapping parts between old and new screen/buttons combination, but the Nav/Dest buttons do not work unless the nav buttons are matched to the nav screen.

the button config is programmed into the screens logic board so you have to swap both the screen from the sat nav unit and the buttons.
the upside is that the dest/nav setup has no pause button so if you wanted to be able to pause music you can keep your original buttons and screen and just launch the navigation via the touch screen.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
the button config is programmed into the screens logic board so you have to swap both the screen from the sat nav unit and the buttons.
the upside is that the dest/nav setup has no pause button so if you wanted to be able to pause music you can keep your original buttons and screen and just launch the navigation via the touch screen.
Thanks for the help @stooge . I found that was the case, but I'll have to debate with myself in regard to which functions I want more (i.e. correct buttons on hard pad or correct imaging) o_O
To add to my list of issues, I am getting an erratic nav signal (or the car is intermittently moving at warp speed).
The supplier wants to send me a new antenna to try, so I will try that. Very helpful - it is the supplier you linked at post #3.