Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 or Series 2?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Personally I would dodge the 3.0 engine as its torqueless at low RPM. The 3.6 is much nicer to drive.

Hmmm... I dont know about 'torqueless':boxing:.
I got the 3L and I'm very happy with it.
Same arguement could be made with 6's in general, "get an 8... 6's are torqueless".

Go test drive some OP. To be honest I love the 3L, 4cyl fuel economy, big size car. Plus there's considerable money to be saved for that .6L.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I like the IQ concept but I think the S1 looks better than the S2 on the outside. After spending a day driving mine with the MACE tune in it then I'd say buy an S1 (3.6ltr SIDI) throw in a 3.7 diff, cai, extractors/system then tune for $3-4grand and then grin ya head off :). It's sharp as and I have no complaints with a lack of torque.

Last edited:

vrcommo36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commie
the sII is far better looking on the inside thats about it and i drive ve's all the time personally i would go a sI ss looks great and has a good engine

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
having had a series 1 alloytec and now a series 2 sidi, i would go the series 2, as the alloytec is noisy and the series 2 sidi is far better in power and response and seems to have better fitting/alligned plastics around the dash area.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
having had a series 1 alloytec and now a series 2 sidi, i would go the series 2, as the alloytec is noisy and the series 2 sidi is far better in power and response and seems to have better fitting/alligned plastics around the dash area.
both the cars he has are SIDI

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
I find the sv6 as pretty good value in the range. It looks identical to the SS, badges aside, and the 3.6 feels like it has some go.

In the last 24 hours, I've pretty much justified, in my head, the extra cash on the Series 2.

I'm really just undecided on auto or manual now LOL. Well, I'd 100% go a manual, but my missus has never learnt. But, she is coming around to the idea.

So, my next question is this...Bias aside, which transmission provides the best all-round driving experience?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
manual hands down. Auto if you just can't be bothered or drive in peak hour all the time. Manual normally has abit more poke too.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
both the cars he has are SIDI

didn't the sidi come out on the my10? the OP was looking at a my09 series 1(alloytec?) and a series 2 my11 sidi

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
Well, I live in Port Pirie, a regional country "City" in South Australia. So, there goes the peak hour problem...

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I am assuming that you are looking at SV6.

I have just traded a 2008 MY09 SV6 Manual on a 2011 MY11 SV6 Manual.

The following differences are already evident:

The engine is much improved, being smoother, more responsive and quieter. Can't comment on fuel economy yet as too early, but expecting better.

Gearing is improved. The gearing on the MY09 was too tall, running 1,900 RPM at 110. The MY11 sits on about 2,100 at 110, and has much better reserve torque for overtaking and hills.

Instrument cluster is a big improvement. My aging eyes struggled with the small numbers, white on grey lettering (car was silver) and horrible red lighting.

Infotainment system is a plus.

The bluetooth is a big improvement if you have a compatiable mobile. I bought a Nokia 2730 pre-paid from Optus at $44.10 including postage, and it works a treat.

Standard dual zone climate control aircon is also a big plus.

My car also has individual map lights in the front and a rear centre armrest. These do not appear on the "standard" equipment list, so I am not sure that they are universal.

And finally, the Red Plate special for a manual MY11 SV6 has been reduced to $34,990 drive away - see Home - Holden. Go better..

Having lived with an MY09 SV6 for 2.5 years and now upgraded, I would recommend the MY11 if you could afford it. I think that it is worth the extra.