Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 or Series 2?

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Can you confirm if both cars you're considering have the SIDI engine? Because everyones comparing the alloytec to the SIDI in terms of performance and it might be abit misleading for some.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
He implied that he is comparing a Series II (MY11) with the MY09. The MY09 is not a SIDI engine, neither was the MY9.5. The MY10 was the first model to use the SIDI engine, and it was still a Series I.

SSV-050

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Speed
cant you get a ss for that price??

SimoHDK

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Commodore SV6 Z-Series - Manual

python

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 M6 Sedan
I'm really just undecided on auto or manual now LOL. Well, I'd 100% go a manual, but my missus has never learnt. But, she is coming around to the idea.

Test drive them both (I did) - I found the auto was pretty boring and uninspired, and the manual transmission felt like a completely different car.

Take the mrs. with you on your test drives too. It's a very easy manual to drive, and if you don't live in the city it should be a no brainer!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
The auto is tuneable now with the torque control being editable resulting in a stronger change feel.

burleighboy86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 A6
I was wanting an SIDI engine, not Alloytec. I knew the change over was roughly around 2009/2010.

I've test driven the auto, and loved it. Especially out on the open road. But that was only because it had 6 gears to change through, so the idea of the manual captures me. Just need to know the quality of it.

I would have tested both out, but the Holden dealer here didn't have a manual in stock, but I searched carsales.com and I believe he may have one now. On my days off, I know what I'll be doing.

beau>zo

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Hey fellas,

I have the same problem as to buy a series 1 or series 2 VE. I was a little worried about the oil consumption these new SIDI engines were chewing in the beginning. One post I read said in 8000kms it had chewed nearly 2L of oil!! and similar stories were also there. Does anyone have any mail on whether as the engine run in a little more the oil consumption dropped and B) has the series 2 addressed this problem...even though it is early days for them.

Cheers!

MJS090

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
I have a MY10 SV6 SIDI Ute series I and I prefer the look of it to the new ones I'm not a fan of the new front bumper of the series II SV6/SS it looks to rounded as opposed to the series I which is more sharper and sporty looking IMO. I also like the interior of the series I as the dash has red lighting/Speedo which matches the red interior lights I've put in, and I dont really need that touchscreen GPS thing anyway I'm happy with my Aux cord and ipod connection. Not to mention I paid $28k including twin hump hardtop for a near new demo SV6 Ute with 5000ks instead of 35k+ for the series II (without hardtop) at the time...