Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Serious problem that i can't get to the bottom of!

RBturdy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
FINAL UPDATE: The fuel tank was full of ****, which clogged the fuel pump. Cleaned the tank and replaced the fuel pump, now the car works perfectly.

UPDATE 3:
So i took my car to a mechanic, he said the problem was the MAF sensor, bought a new MAF sensor... Still has the same problem. I am about ready to drive my car off a cliff.

UPDATE 2:
Replaced the TPS, cost $195. Still having the same issue and the ECU is still showing code 23, so i guess the wires going to the TPS are the problem? I don't know. Gonna return the new TPS and maybe just take my car to an auto electrician

UPDATE
: So i checked the ECU myself and code 23 came up, which is the throttle position sensor (TPS). I can get a new TPS on Monday from Autobarn for $195. Obviously that's quite a bit of money but i guess if it fixes the problem it'll be worth it. I really hope this new one will fix my issue cause all the money i spent on the other **** didn't fix it.

My car is a 1986 Holden Commodore VL Executive

So basically i have done absolutely everything to my car in an attempt to fix this issue I'm having. The issue is: You're driving it and all of a sudden it just feels fucked up. How, you ask? Well you put your foot down and it just feels like it's farting and chugging and almost loses all power. It's happened at red lights too. It happens randomly at all different speeds.

Things i have done to it:
  • New head gasket
  • New ignition coil
  • New Temperature sensor
  • New crank angle sensor
  • New fuel pump (external and internal)
  • New fuel filter
  • Timing has been set (i think correctly) by my dad (who was a mechanic for many years)
  • New spark plugs
  • New oil
  • Injectors were cleaned by a professional

and possibly other things i can't remember right now.

I also took it to a mechanic who said he checked the diagnostic codes and he said it was fine. Don't know if he actually checked or not.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'm getting to the point of giving up.

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
maf sensor, similar issues to what your describing and it was the maf which caused it. Found out once it'd been sold

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Air Flow Meter(or MAF) can be intermittent without throwing a code.
When it plays up, it's hard to start and runs like ****...

Brads vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl/ sl n/a
Hey mate, i had the exact same issue! Is yours auto?

Attachments

• InjectronicsTechnicalBulletin66.pdf
    73.4 KB · Views: 675

Brads vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl/ sl n/a
Well thats your problem! lol jks.. Did you download the link i posted above mate?, as this was my problem and took 3 computes and 2 whole looms and was a very lengthy /expensive process that took me nearly a month to figure out but this was my problem, wishing you luck with your vl and hopefully doing so brings me some..

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
Try swapping the EFI relay with one of the others, the horn one will do.

RBturdy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
Well thats your problem! lol jks.. Did you download the link i posted above mate?, as this was my problem and took 3 computes and 2 whole looms and was a very lengthy /expensive process that took me nearly a month to figure out but this was my problem, wishing you luck with your vl and hopefully doing so brings me some..

Yeah i checked out the PDF you sent and it gave me a bit of reassurance that the TPS is the actual problem. Really anxious to get the new one and try it out. Might kill myself if it doesn't fix the issue lol

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Could be the wires on the CAS plug not getting good contact or damaged wire near the harness plug.