Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Service ESP

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^
he’s been asked for fault code details earlier (in post 2, 10, 15, 27). Sadly, such info has not been posted in the thread. Possibly his mechanics hasn’t discussed this info with him as he’s “not that much mechanically sound” in his words. So we remain somewhat in the dark.

We have slowly learnt more about his Doncaster Holden purchased car but the post 44 part about seperate wiring for the taxi related features and replacing some canbus box with a mechanical transuser gizmo to mechanically read the odometer because the canbus box sometimes causes problems is intriguing.

I feel for the guy as it sounds like it has cost him thousands in service and lost income.

But he’s continuing along his part replacement process and maybe in a year or two he will have a new car built from spare parts, hardly an efficient way to resolve things. If he’s lucky the gas converter will solve his problems as suggested by Bundoora Holden.

Hopefully we’ll find out if all is solved via a gas converter replacement or get some info about the fault codes.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Isn't there a law related to lemon cars, once they have taken a certain cost or time related to issues the manufacturer refunds the cost.

My uncle had an VE omega sedan that was a lemon and got his money back after a few months.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Isn't there a law related to lemon cars, once they have taken a certain cost or time related to issues the manufacturer refunds the cost.

My uncle had an VE omega sedan that was a lemon and got his money back after a few months.

Only if purchased new.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You can't remove the canbus, it's what all the modules use to communicate with each other. I feel you have been bullshitted somewhat.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Glad it worked out for your uncle but thank the Australian Consumer Law for that.

There are no specific lemon laws in Australia unlike the USA where lemon laws provide for replacement or refund period for the duration of warranty.

We have ACL which does not define a warranty duration. But in its recent wisdom, ACCC seems to have made some concessions where some manufacturers, Holden being one, have agreed that if a new vehicle has issues (not sure what issues) within I think 30 days, then the ‘lemon’ will be replaced or purchase price refunded.

Our ACL undefined duration statuatory warranty has now been part interpreted as 30 days lemon agreement. In reality this is actually a retrograde step from what ACL actually provides.

I think ACCC has again over stepped its mark and interpreted the ACL wrongly in defining this part industry agreement. It’s just like the ACCC concession where manufacturers no longer have to provide printed workshop manuals because they offer fixed price service. We lost workshop manuals and Holden’s response was you can get a full years subscription for 1000’s per year... Sometimes ACCC is ok, other times they are asshats.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can't remove the canbus, it's what all the modules use to communicate with each other. I feel you have been bullshitted somewhat.
Obviously a data bus that is used by a number of modules for their communication pathway can not be removed.

I think the OP really means some module that connects his taxi meter system to the vehicle canbus was removed and replaced with a mechanical system to read calculate odometer, speed etc. I guess OP doesn’t have the correct vocabulary or knowledge to express what he was told by the bullshitting? mechanic to us forum dwellers.

Me, i vaguely remember some forum user on another thread saying they had issues when their obd2 bt/wifi module was permanently plugged into the obd port. Afte4 a while they’d see faultcodes come up but can’t remember the details, hence why I thought the taxi system canbus module removal was intriguing.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
An aftermarket patch into the obd should be able to be removed with no ill effect to the canbus itself. If the issue goes away with all aftermarket devices d/c then the issue is within the aftermarket gear. The canbus is resistance sensitive so any additional resistance introduced into the circuit will cause issues. As for a "mechanical" device being connected to the canbus this makes no sense as the canbus is purely a data pathway which a mechanical device cannot provide information for nor read from. Most obd connecting devices simply read data as I would assume is needed in a taxi to log kms travelled to calculate charges, a faulty device plugged in will cause the bus to crash. I assume the mechanical device bypasses the canbus and reads speed/kms somehow and supplies it to the taxi computer. I'm assuming there's still something plugged into the obd and connecting to the high speed bus which services the ECM, this device may me intermittently crashing the bus causing the ECM to lose comms with other modules/sensors and result in misfire/safety mode.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
How or what do you have to do to pour the water on the ECU?

I read the same, :eek:
I would say he meant the Gas Converter, as it maybe freezing when LPG passes through it, either that, or its dirty and/or partially blocked.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, lots of speculation on our part but the OP has gone quiet.

Sadly, amongst the normal problems one has that usually get resolved by the dealer relatively quickly, he possibly has/had another system in his car that may have been also causing issue via the canbus.

I’d fully understand if Holden offloaded him to the company that installed the taxi meter system but why couldn’t the dealer handle fixing the Holden installed LPG converter (which was part of a recall if I remember correctly)?

I’m still curious what the end cause will turn out to be so hopefully the OP will let us know.