Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

She is not sounding healthy

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Thats good news for the trans.

How is the engine sounding?
It is still sounding like before as shown on the videos.

I will continue to troubleshoot on the weekend. The passenger side rockers will be checked. Just have to remove my DYI flex fuel kit out of the way.

It is just a awful coincidence to have the trans issue just after i worked on the car. It undermines the self confidence for a while until the issue was found.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
What did they say about the trans apart from the fluid condition? Did they mention it was low or cracked filter... A trans fluid change will not make a trans jump back to life. There was something wrong.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It is just a awful coincidence to have the trans issue just after i worked on the car. It undermines the self confidence for a while until the issue was found.
That bloody jinx Murphy, I blame him :p :p:p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
What did they say about the trans apart from the fluid condition? Did they mention it was low or cracked filter... A trans fluid change will not make a trans jump back to life. There was something wrong.
Yeah, I'd be interested what actually caused the underlying issue and whether some cracked filter contributed to the problem...

I'm also curious if the old fluid, as it becomes more viscous, actually causes slower fill times for the pistons which engage the clutches. If the fill time is appreciably slower, will it impact how the trans smarts grabs the next gear, can the trans compensate for such, does the trans have pressure sensors within to measure such, etc, etc... In other words, will thicker fluid cause a tail chasing scenario of slower fill times, more slip, more wear, hotter fluid making it more black and thick?

Really, I don't know much about transmissions as I've not pulled one apart. But I do know that good clean fluid is good insurance and that sealed for life means a much shorter life than otherwise would be the case :eek:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thicker or thinner fluid?

The **** that came out of my boys car was thin as **** and when you rubbed it between your fingers it just felt wrong, not like trans fluid, lost it's lubricity and probably it's hydraulic properties because it was so thin.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
They mentioned just about blocked or partially blocked filter.

The day was so hectic yesterday and ended up not asking much. The place closes at 5pm and i arrived there 5:20pm.

Let's see how it looks like when i do another flush. Gotta start working on the tool to suck all the oil out.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thicker or thinner fluid?

The **** that came out of my boys car was thin as **** and when you rubbed it between your fingers it just felt wrong, not like trans fluid, lost it's lubricity and probably it's hydraulic properties because it was so thin.
I meant thicker... AIUI, as transmission fluid ages it gets thicker and less slippery...

Unfortunately haven't found any engineering references that describe trans fluid viscosity as it ages but the following site does state the following:

Color of Transmission Fluid​

Red Transparent​

What It Means: This is what new or like new transmission fluid should look like. Keep your fluid in this condition and make sure it doesn’t get low and you will likely never have a serious transmission problem.

Recommended Action: Check the fluid condition regularly and follow the manufacturer’s transmission/transaxle service procedures and service intervals.

Light Brown Semi-Transparent​

What It Means: Your transmission fluid is in generally good condition. Maintain this fluid condition and watch for leaks and your transmission will probably outlast the rest of your vehicle.

Recommended Action: Check the fluid condition regularly and follow the manufacturer’s transmission/transaxle service procedures and service intervals.

Dark Brown Opaque​

What It Means: Your transmission fluid is old, dirty, and contaminated and doesn’t provide adequate lubrication. Poor lubrication causes excessive wear and damage to internal parts. Dark brown transmission fluid also increases heat inside the transmission, which can quickly lead to transmission failure.

Recommended Action: Take action now before this fluid condition causes serious problems or even transmission failure. Perform a transmission fluid and filter change or a complete flush of the transmission.

Very Dark Brown or Black​

What It Means: The transmission fluid is old, dirty, contaminated, and/or oxidized. A burnt odor will confirm oxidization.

Recommended Action: Take action immediately. Some internal damage may have already occurred. If your transmission is still working properly, a fluid and filter change or flush should be performed immediately. If problems already exist, a transmission rebuild may be necessary.

Light Pink​

What It Means: When water or coolant has entered the transmission, the friction clutches fall apart and seals are ruined. The water enters the transmission through a damaged or leaking transmission oil cooler line radiator. Complete failure of the transmission is almost certain.

Recommended Action: Unfortunately, you will need to rebuild or replace your transmission.

1659681156238.png

Fluid Smell​

Smell the fluid. If it has a burnt odor, the transmission has overheated and the fluid is oxidized. The result is poor lubrication, increased friction, increased heat and excessive wear or damage to internal parts and seals. In most instances, burnt smelling transmission fluid means some internal damage has already occurred.

Blotter Test​

Place a couple of drops of the ATF on a paper towel and wait about 30-seconds or so. If the fluid has spread out and is red or light brown in color, the fluid is good – No action is needed. If the fluid does not spread out and is dark in color, the fluid is oxidized. In this case, a fluid and filter change or flush is needed.

1659681296679.png

PS: I'd think a more viscous (thick) fluid would not spread out as much as a less viscous (thinner) fluid if dropped on blotting paper...

PPS: No idea why your boys old trans fluid was thinner coming out than the new stuff going in. If its noa a one owner maybe the previous chap put the wrong stuff in the trans or maybe trans fluid does get thinner... As ive said, I've not pulled appart an auto tnsmission so I'm no expert. I have however changed trans fluid but never really old trans fluid...

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I know how to read transmission fluid.

And I can tell you 100% the stuff that came out was thinner than the stuff that went in and the synthetic trans fluid is fairly thin to start with.

Trans fluid isn't your traditional oil and seems it doesn't behave like it either.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Blocked filter will do it. By the way that shouldn't happen either. That noise you're chasing could well be a fried torque converter. After you've tested the passenger side, if you have another couple of hours spare, remove the starter motor and undo the torque converter bolts and push the converter back off the flex plate. Reinstall starter and fire her up. At the least that test would rule out your trans.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Blocked filter will do it. By the way that shouldn't happen either. That noise you're chasing could well be a fried torque converter. After you've tested the passenger side, if you have another couple of hours spare, remove the starter motor and undo the torque converter bolts and push the converter back off the flex plate. Reinstall starter and fire her up. At the least that test would rule out your trans.
Do you think the fluid inside the converter is cooked or it is actually physically broken.

The slipping behaviour of the converter doesn't seems to have changed from before the noise started.