Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift lag 1st to 2nd

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Hey everyone, my VF SS has developed an annoying habit in the last 2 weeks. When taking off from a red light or a stop, when it’s about to shift into 2nd from 1st, it lags and sort of jerks.
Today in the rain it would slip and I almost lost control around the roundabout

What should I be looking/checking? I can’t for the life of me even figure out how to check the transmission fluid on the LS3. It only does it from 1st to 2nd, not any other gears

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hey everyone, my VF SS has developed an annoying habit in the last 2 weeks. When taking off from a red light or a stop, when it’s about to shift into 2nd from 1st, it lags and sort of jerks.

What should I be looking/checking? I can’t for the life of me even figure out how to check the transmission fluid on the LS3. It only does it from 1st to 2nd, not any other gears
No noticeable trans. fluid leaks?

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Not as far as I can tell. I just don’t know how to check its level? All my previous cars have had dipsticks

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Do these have a PWR button like on a VZ

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Checking fluid level would be a great place to start. If you can't then your mechanic.

How many km's on the car?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
To easily check the trans fluid level requires a hoist and a diagnostic tool that can measure trans fluid temp. You run the car on the hoist until the fluid temp gets to 80C(?) and then remove the centre bolt (within the pan drain plug.) and if it’s at the correct level there should be a small stream of fluid coming out. If no fluid drains, it needs to be added until there is a small stream of fluid draining out…

The whole process is a PITA and these cars should have come with an engine bay fill tube and dip stick. Luckily there are two threads on these issues. One for changing trans fluid and filling correctly, another for installing a dip stick and filler tube to the trans, both in the VF forum section.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

Has your transmission ever had a fluid change?
How many kilometres on the odometer?

Unfortunately these transmissions are "sealed for life" which means there's no transmission dipstick, but that is B.S...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Do these have a PWR button like on a VZ
You can put them into a Sport mode, which isn’t exactly the same deal but has pretty similar effects.

I reckon the trans fluid change is worth considering; it’s minimum 6 years old now, so isn’t a terrible waste even if that doesn’t resolve it.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Cheers guys. I’m just gonna tell me mechanic tommorow. Seems like they’ve made it too complicated now to DIY. Really surprised they got rid of the dipstick

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Cheers guys. I’m just gonna tell me mechanic tommorow. Seems like they’ve made it too complicated now to DIY. Really surprised they got rid of the dipstick
Oh no they kept him, he’s the one who got the fluid level indicating tool removed from the gearbox!