Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift lock

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I suspect that most of these "accidents" are caused because people move the (auto) gear lever from park to reverse or drive without having their foot on the brake. In some cars this causes a significant jerk in the direction of travel. They then panic and try to hit the brake only to hit the accelerator flat to the floor with predictable results.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have never thought about how I select any gear with an auto....My automatic motion is, foot on brake, press button if one is fitted, or move gear lever until gear is selected that is required, then release foot from brake....

IMA I was taught to drive a manual, got my licence with a manual, yet still have the above procedure when selecting a gear with an auto....

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
back when we were taught how to drive
not how to pass a test
and learn the rest playing need for speed or GTA

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I believe everyone should have to sit a theory exam every five years.

Who says they are a good driver? Everyone!

However all that happens is you sit a test when you’re a teenager and never look at road rules again in your life. I think most people are bad drivers (except me) and spend their whole lives developing unguided bad driving habits without realising it.

There should be incentive to advance driving training too. Cheaper rego, cheaper tolls, discounts on insurance etc depending on what level driver you are.

Say an advanced level 10 driver gets busted speeding at a set rate of speed over the limit or doing something reckless etc then they get demoted down to level 9 driver and have to do another advanced driver course again to get back up to level ten.
Level 11 would be the highest. It’s 1 more higher than 10. Level 11 Qualified rally driver, instructor and road rules expert.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I believe everyone should have to sit a theory exam every five years.

Who says they are a good driver? Everyone!

However all that happens is you sit a test when you’re a teenager and never look at road rules again in your life. I think most people are bad drivers (except me) and spend their whole lives developing unguided bad driving habits without realising it.

There should be incentive to advance driving training too. Cheaper rego, cheaper tolls, discounts on insurance etc depending on what level driver you are.

Say an advanced level 10 driver gets busted speeding at a set rate of speed over the limit or doing something reckless etc then they get demoted down to level 9 driver and have to do another advanced driver course again to get back up to level ten.
Level 11 would be the highest. It’s 1 more higher than 10. Level 11 Qualified rally driver, instructor and road rules expert.
As a bare minimum can we at least make drivers at fault for an accident redo their driving test? Oh and idiots that can’t merge!

That’s my platform when I run for Prime Mincer.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
As a bare minimum can we at least make drivers at fault for an accident redo their driving test? Oh and idiots that can’t merge!

That’s my platform when I run for Prime Mincer.

Please future Mr Prime Mincer,
Can you also make it mandatory again to keep left unless overtaking?

That would then negate me having to run for the same job, with my number one platform
being to introduce front mounted cannons to be used on the right hand lane "speed limit controllers".

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Please future Mr Prime Mincer,
Can you also make it mandatory again to keep left unless overtaking?

That would then negate me having to run for the same job, with my number one platform
being to introduce front mounted cannons to be used on the right hand lane "speed limit controllers".
That 'law' is already in the books, just fails to be 'enforced'.
Maybe they're developing 'keep left' cameras and 'failing to indicate' cameras...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That 'law' is already in the books, just fails to be 'enforced'.
Maybe they're developing 'keep left' cameras and 'failing to indicate' cameras...
Your funny. They would never do that, even though it’s perfectly feasible to do so. They would make a motza if they did though.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

I am a good driver also. The only thing I have collided with in years and years, is a tree which grew suddenly just a few metres from the ute tail gate. ;)
I am also of the age where I will have to pass a medical test soon, and possibly a driving test if the medico decides. :confused:

But as to advanced driving courses, over the years, I have read numerous letters to the editor, interviews on ACA, and various 'experts' opinions that drivers who do such a course are more likely to have an accident because they have an inflated belief of their ability.
Of course these gems are usually from sources like the NSW Pedestrian Council, bicycle-y-ing groups who think that Australia is the same size as The Netherlands, and self proclaimed road safety experts who are convinced that any speed faster than you can run will cause death.
As with any BS which is repeated over and over, it becomes The Truth in the eyes of the general public.

If every driver was a 'good' driver, there would be no need for panel beaters, Highway Patrol, and most importantly, the state Gubbermints would lose $millions in fine revenue.

Edit ......... here we go, Ford thinks that drivers need training to tame the new Ranger Raptor ......... Ford Ranger Raptor driver training plan - carsales.com.au

Last edited:

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
when i was teaching my children to drive
they would turn say left onto a multi lane road straight into the right hand lane
i was taught if you turn from the left, you turn into the left hand lane and when safe, then change lanes
driving instructor said you can turn into any lane unless you have multiple turn lanes
yeah that's not going to cause accidents
Me too. When I was taught it stated clearly in the book O rules you turned into the closest (leftmost) lane, then merge if necessary.
Only yesterday I was entering a 3 lane freeway form a side road, that was clear and open so I didn't have to stop (why DO some people have to come to a complete stop before looking to see if the road is clear?) so I slowed down, checked for a clear road, turned left into the lefmost carriageway. I had to turn righty about 2 k's down the road so I stayed in the left lane out of habit. Then merged right when necessary. The guy behind me (a way back) did the immediate rush into the right hand lane of the 3 lanes. Doesn't he realise using string theory that the shortest road way is to enter the left lane then merge? Look at the racing line.