Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should I rebuild

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
As above if you choose cam bearings then your rebuild decision is made for you. Generally speaking LS bearings are pretty reliable if the engine has been maintained and not flogged
Yea this is true. I brought the car off a diesel mechanic at 150k he serviced it every 10,000 and so did I. So she’s been looked after.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Rear main is probably leaking, unless it's been fixed already, but that's just box out and bang on a new seal plate. Crank seal could be leaking but that's just fans out....

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
Yeah but how much rubbing will they show after 300k, even with regular servicing? If you are fitting crank bearings, wouldn't it be wisest to eliminate any potential issues? Me I'd probably just keep flogging it.... I think you mentioned they will keep running well past the 300k mark without too many problems?
The old cam was still in very good nic

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
Rear main is probably leaking, unless it's been fixed already, but that's just box out and bang on a new seal plate. Crank seal could be leaking but that's just fans out....
Rear main is leaking

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah but how much rubbing will they show after 300k, even with regular servicing? If you are fitting crank bearings, wouldn't it be wisest to eliminate any potential issues? Me I'd probably just keep flogging it.... I think you mentioned they will keep running well past the 300k mark without too many problems?

I was just saying if you decide to pull the cam bearings then you need to pull the engine and you'd be mad not to machine and reco the bottom end. This is probably not necessary if the OP is only having top end issues. My old LS is now on 330k in a mates car with the original bottom end and it spent 70k of that with 14 pounds of boost. All I ever did was pull the heads, fresh lifters, trays, rods, rockers, valves and springs and had the heads faced. She still purrs like a kitten. An old tired, sloppy kitten

Stevo-vz_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz berlina
I was just saying if you decide to pull the cam bearings then you need to pull the engine and you'd be mad not to machine and reco the bottom end. This is probably not necessary if the OP is only having top end issues. My old LS is now on 330k in a mates car with the original bottom end and it spent 70k of that with 14 pounds of boost. All I ever did was pull the heads, fresh lifters, trays, rods, rockers, valves and springs and had the heads faced. She still purrs like a kitten. An old tired, sloppy kitten
This gives me hope haha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes agree, I would probably do the same, I wouldn't go to the effort of pulling the engine. Heads on these are relatively straight forward to remove and if its as much room as the VE has it's a comfortable job too. The common problem seals are not overly hard to replace either.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mine is getting towards 220k (I think) and it purrs like a kitten, no mechanical issues what so ever, except a slight weep from the RM. I've had the common problems sorted, that being the trunnions, lifters and valve springs. Think I mentioned already to swap out the Crow springs as they are fairly well known to snap.