Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should the mechanic have run my car (idling) with no oil pressure?!

omadus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Clubsport R8
Now mechanics want me to pay for the ignition leads. However my car doesn’t even start now. I think that’s a very low go imo... at this stage I’m not paying for them & hand them back as I quite possibly may have a seized LS3 on my hands :-(

omadus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Clubsport R8
Unfortunately my car was at the mechanic getting looked at and now the engine won’t start. I have an issue with the mechanic as there was no oil pressure before I brought it to the mechanic. I wrote down a list of issues such as low/no oil pressure engine lights on contact dealer on.

Should the mechanic have turned on the engine with no oil pressure to diagnose?

I would have though NO!!! they want me to pay for ignition leads, however I’m refusing to do so because my engine could possibly be seized.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They would need to test in case it's a faulty oil pressure switch but they should have only idled it long enough to test check the pressure and then shut it down.

omadus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Clubsport R8
Ah unfortunately I think they had it running for some time he said he heard noises after running the engine for a while, then the engine shut off.

So he shouldn’t of been continuously running the engine since I wrote in the list that there was no/low oil pressure? I’m hoping he read what I wrote down, common sense is to do that before commencing work. I left my car there as they were fully booked, I explained I’m not driving it as there is no oil pressure. I wrote a list and should of been with the car as I handed over the list & my keys over the counter. Communication is key & I think they may of failed in that. At least call and ask what’s up before they do work but they didn’t and now we are (customer/mechanic) in this murky situation as usual.

I’ve taken the car to another place they will give me answers on the damage and what to do, I’ll be sure to add an update. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for reply

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well that sounds like an admission of fault.

You have the car back, get that 2nd opinion and then go back to the original mechanic to see how he will remedy the situation.

omadus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Clubsport R8
So ive got my answer and I’ve now got to install a new motor, engine is seized. There may of been an underlying problem, however oil pump would have been the first thing to look at with the engine off. The car should not have been idling for too long with no oil pressure. I’ve got an unusual situation on my hands here. I’m not a happy chap.

Thanks for reply

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Sounds like the engine was well and truely knackered before it went into the shop - they may have just finished it off

Being an LS3, wouldnt it be covered under warranty?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Sounds like the engine was well and truely knackered before it went into the shop - they may have just finished it off

Being an LS3, wouldnt it be covered under warranty?
The OP's ride list as 2009 VE R8 - I think 6.2 was from about April 2008 for HSV

omadus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Clubsport R8
The engine has done 168k kms and cam exhaust mods at around 130k kms. Maybe just old and tired. Idling the engine with no oil presssure would surely do serious damage right??? I’d think so. Doesn’t matter anymore though It’s too hard to get justice out of it. If I was an asshole and had a barrister I’d win in this situation surely.

Engine is getting reconditioned with HD clutch maybe replacing camshaft with another as it could of contributed to issues re profile etc... at least there is progress however very expensive progress.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Well if you noticed it had a lack of oil pressure at any stage, it's likely the damage had already been done. Doesn't take much to kill them.

A lack of oil pressure will absolutely destroy an engine - much worse than a complete loss. If you'd lost oil pressure, it probably wouldve been an engine out job anyway at the end of the day.