Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sick of my sub, how can I keep some bass

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
I like to have a good size amp running the subs, so if I was looking at a jaycar amp
Response Precision 2 x 150WRMS Class AB Amplifier - Jaycar Electronics

You would need to adjust the gain so you don't run them too hard, but I think it would get the best out of them. Also if you did end up with more powerful subs later this would have enough power in reserve to run them.

QldKev

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
So I ended up with some Kicker CVR 8" subs (they look like these) and a Kicker ZX400.1 amp. They're currently in their own boxes but I am wondering if I could construct a box under the parcel shelf along with sealing all the holes and dynamatting the #### out of the shelf, similar to what an American owner has done to his GTO here. I don't want to cut anything like he has, though. Would me screwing into the shelf or having a few hefty kilos hanging from it cause any issues with its structural integrity?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Id see how they go without boxes/enclosures first.

I ended up getting 2 jaycar responce 8" woofers and a 400w rms (@4 ohm load) amp. The woofers wont fit inside the mounts unless I file the sides down that sits around the original ones.

Should be feeding 200w rms (give or take) in to each woofer by bridging the amp and wiring them in parallel, that will also be a 4 ohm load which works out perfect for what I am doing.

I pretty much have everything I need to hook it up but the amp is still on the way, got posted last Friday and will take 5-10 days to get here from the USA.

Specs for my amp if you are interested.

Hifonics TITAN TXI4008
- A/B class 2-channel
- 100-W RMS x 2-ch @ 4Ω
- 200-W RMS x 2-ch @ 2Ω
- 400-W RMS x 1-ch @ 4Ω

Any ideas how I can flatten the top of the of the mounts, just a hack saw and file probably?

Also Ill need to drill 2 holes in to the new woofer baskets as they have 6 holes and only 2 will line up with the original screw holes.

cracker

Reaction score
jb hi fi have cadence 12" 250rms subs out in box for $100, $200 for a mono block amp and your set

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Id see how they go without boxes/enclosures first.
The only thing I'm worried about is any potential damage to the woofers if I run them without a box as I've read that a sub not designed for a free air application can damage itself. Someone suggested I run a subsonic filter on them if I was going to try and run them without an enclosure and it appears my amp has this, but I really have no idea what this means so I will have to do a bit of research on that. I'm really an absolute novice at all of this and am learning everything as I go along.

As for the mounts, someone else on this forum has done basically what you're suggesting and his method is about halfway down this page. I'd say a hack saw and file would be suitable.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I just had a look at that page, it doesnt look like he filed them down. Its kind of hard to tell from those pics exactly what he did to be honest. Looks like he used some grey foam and extra long screws.

Keep this updated if you make any progress, Ill be putting mine in the weekend after next.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
I think his first picture is just showing what the mounts look like, as it sounds like he has ground down that circular lip so that the sub sits flush on the rest of the mount.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
So I ended up with some Kicker CVR 8" subs (they look like these) ?

The subs look like these? r they infact r these? it said the smallest size in those subs is a 10" so if i was u b4 u do anything get the actual specs of ur 8" subs so we can see if they r a free air sub or not and wat kind of enclosure needs 2 b built.

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
I'll pull one out of the box it is currently in and see if I can find a model number.

I think they're an older model but this is what I can find written on the sub itself:

Kicker CompVR
8VR Dual 2Ω Voice Coils