Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI Intake Valve Cleaning?

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
I have been stuffing around with misting water slowly through the top end every now and then.
Certainly no harm so far.
Yeah nothing wrong with this as long it's done when the engine is hot

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Through the vacuum. Use a squirty bottle. Engine vacuum draws through the bottle without using the trigger.
I use the port in the side of the throttle body. Have a hose that fits the port and just fits the end of the nozzle. With the bottle, I can measure the water out and see the rate it’s being taken in. I started off with 300ml but now get 500ml through at a slow rate.

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
This is an interesting topic for me now since I have just purchased a VE SV6 SIDI engine.

My first line of attack is thoughts of spraying a whole can of liqui moly petrol intake cleaner into the manifold & let it do what is does & have it resting on the intake valves in a hope that over numerous applications at each service, it would slowly clean them up. I use this as it's spray pattern goes everywhere instead of just using the nulon & subaru upper engine foam cleaners where it is only point & shoot & hope for the best..

Secondly, I guess we have to address the dirty crap being thrown back into the intake manifold, is this coming directly from the combustion chamber through the pcv or breathers?
I am playing around with a product called FTC Decarbonizer from Cost Effective Maintenance in QLD. It's a combustion catalyst that was designed to burn fuel faster & cleaner. It was made specifically for underground diesel engines to lower their emissions. So on petrols, it should work quickly.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do the PCV mod that’s got the walk through in the How to section.

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Does the ignition need to be on accessories to manually & safely open the throttle plate to spray whatever cleaners in?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i always unplug electric throttlebodies when cleaning
i read years ago that when you release the butterfly it can act like a generator and back emf the ecu

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
i read years ago that when you release the butterfly it can act like a generator and back emf the ecu
I have also seen Paul Scanner Danner mention that before.

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Ok, so unplug the electrical connection & then I should be ok with opening the butterfly without any problems afterwards?
I do apologise for the amount of questions. This is my first fly by wire & direct injection engine. I've had a LS1 for 20 years!

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
The only way you will clean ALL of it is with walnut blasting or physically removing it by hand if you can reach. The flushes/sprays/hydrogen blasting is good if you don't have super high km's.