Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SIDI SV6 SERIES I - excessive engine oil consumption

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
my ve series 2 is fine on oil did 8000km put like 300ml of oil in thats it

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Mine burnt 2.5ltrs in 4,500km, so little excessive.

LemonHoldensv6-2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 sv6 VE UTE - series one
Folks I have had major dramas with MY10 (Nov 2009 built) SIDI SV6 VE Ute.

I reported grinding noise from block about 2 years after new - serviced every 6months and warranty booklet.

The noise came back on 3 occasions just prior to servicing and passed off as loose heat protection plates - I strongly disagreed at the time.
For approx. 12 months I reported oil consumption problems with continued top ups needed every few thousand kms - the holden service centre wouldn't listen as they said they didn't find anything a problem as I had topped up and they wouldn't test it as it seemed ok to them although I informed them of my top ups.
Finally they put me on a oil consumption test for 3000kms beginning of dec 2013- I made it to 2000kms before the warning lights came on- I pulled over and she took 6L of oil before a reading on the dip stick.
They ran diagnostics at Holden TAC, and agreed to replace the motor with a LONG MOTOR and to come back in Jan 2013 - I told them I didn't think it would last that long but still sent on my way.
In a few weeks after in dec 2012 I had the motor seize when I was in 3rd and doing 60kms - dropped down to 5kms and started bunny hopping madly - wasn't able to drive her and had it towed to Holden service.
Holden rushed thru the replacement motor in Dec 2012 in 3 days.

Between Dec 2012 and August 2013 - I experienced loss of oil still and firstly loss of cylinders randomly - holden service reset the computer twice to get rid of me before they listened and acted - finding the manifold was carboned up badly - blaming me for using bad fuel - I only use premium fuel and I then questioned why this would happen, especially after they had told me during the 1st replacement motor that it was a long motor and all components had been attended? no explanation could be given and I was made to pay close to $400 to rectify.

Beginning of August 2013, I had performance issues and engine warning lights come on - this time I had to make 2 trips into holden service before they discovered was due to oil on the throttle body. meanwhile the oil consumption continues to disappear and no explanation given still?
I took her back into Holden service and they ran more tests at Holden TAC - then informing me in Sept 2013 that they would replace another SHORT MOTOR - I was confused why they said with “another SHORT MOTOR” when it was told to me verbally and on invoice- the last replacement was a LONG MOTOR and only less than 12 months before – and now had failed why they would opt for now a SHORT MOTOR? They went on to tell me they don't make a LONG MOTOR and I was mistaken - funny I have their paperwork stating otherwise???- I was fobbed off and ignored and told it wasn't a big deal or major failure on either occasion?
When the first motor that came in the car SEIZED and wasn't drivable, they told me not to worry as they would check every component and it was a LONG MOTOR and would give me no further issue. I couldn’t believe they had now misinformed me the first replacement motor and I now faced a second replacement – WITH NO EXPLINATION WHY EITHER TIME?
Pissed off I was about to have a 3rd motor in my ute - I then requested a replacement or heavily subsidised replacement.
Holden bluntly denied my claim stating they had acted under warranty obligations both times and it was not seen as a major failure and would NOT back date my case.

They replaced the 1st replacement motor -installed in Dec 2012
- in October 2013 with the second SHORT MOTOR.

Since October 2013's replacement, I have been on another oil consumption test and when I returned at 4000kms since the last replacement or 2 months later - 1.1 litres of oil was measured by Holden Service to be missing????
Holden TAC have instructed Holden head office to send me a letter with what they call a goodwill offer along with a statement that the missing oil on the new motor was within the acceptable range???
when I spoke with Holden Customer Care and my case manager - I request the letter to be redrafted to include the spent oil of 1.1L to be stated and what they considered the acceptable range? I was told this was not possible and only the dealership holden service centre could supply that info - passing the buck and avoiding any statement on paper yet again.

The dealership holden service centre has since told me the recent oil consumption loss was due to the engine running in?
Holden make no assumptions and still haven't supplied me with ANY reason why they had to replace the two motors to date?

I will have paid off this vehicle in DEC 2014 and had planned on handing it down in my company as a salary package and then have a financial return on my owned asset along with grow my business. I was then going to purchase a TOYOTA HI-LUX.

Holden replied to my request for a heavily subsidised vehicle with what they call a goodwill offer of putting me into another Holden of my choice (ignoring the fact I still owe $14k on my loan and that I don't want to have to pay for another holden vehicle I never wanted to have to buy and am loosing my 5 year paid off asset) and offered goodwill in way of
-NO dealer delivery, and all on road costs! For a new holden that I never intended on buying or want!
my trade in would leave me with a $1500 return after tradein and I would have to finance approx. $34k for a VF Wagon (the VF would be the only option as I am planning a family in the next 12 months but as I said I DONT WANT ANOTHER HOLDEN or planned to move on another vehicle until mid 2015)

Bottom line - I now seek to find anyone with similar:
1. OIL CONSUMPTION dramas on the SV6 SIDI engine
2. Does anyone know the acceptable oil consumption range for these engines as HOLDEN wont supply it?

I wish to stand upto HOLDEN and I wont go away until this is rectified fairly.
Fair trading and Holden say they are acting fairly - and wont acknowledge that I request any judgement to be back dated to the original beginning of the issue at hand, considering my demurrage of usage, time and that my claim is for the faulty product I bought. One replacement motor I can accept - two failures I cannot - and how can they say it is not a major failure when the 1st motor seized?

I ONLY WANT WHAT I PAID FOR - and that definateky wasn’t a vehicle with so many dramas and continued oil consumption issues that are yet to be explained/diagnosed - WHY is it small consumers always get the blunt end of the stick when dealing with these big companies - and they always get away with it! ENOUGH!

I am backed into a corner with nothing to loose hence why I no choose to expose my case to the public via forums, facebook, radio talkback, I have written to carsgiude who has a similar oil consumption story running seeking people with similar problems, a letter to Current affair shows and am thinking to sign write my ute with lemon and my story so the general public can see- I will also park my vehicle in front of the dealership I purchased it who have also passed the buck and have had no input to my case.

People - this has been one awful experience and much stress and time wasted over the past few years.

I know I am not alone - please help with your advice or stories

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Mate I feel for you on this and know first hand how Holden can stuff you around (maybe that's why the government was not going to bail them out with "free money"). I had 4 engines (V8's) replaced under warranty in my series 1 SSV. The crap you have to go through to get any action is unreal.

A long motor is basically a 3/4 crate motor, it is complete up to a point. Injectors, intake manifold, and all other bolt on bits are taken from your existing engine and fitted to the new engine. A short motor is less complete requiring more parts from the engine being replaced. This explanation might be a little different for a V6 as it is to the V8, I am only going by what I have seen and what was explained to me when they did mine.

I have heard of many series 1 and series 2 V6 (SIDI and non SIDI engine) owners complaining of "excessive" oil consumption issues and being told things are within normal specs but not told what is considered normal before taking action. I have a series 2 (2012) SV6 SIDI LFX engine and it does not use oil. I do remember once though, Holden used Castrol edge 5w30 and the engine seemed to be using a small amount. I changed the oil out to Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 and the oil level didn't change in 7,500klm (which is when I have the oil changed). Don't ask me why it started using oil on the Castrol and not the Shell.

Good luck with your fight.

Something_Wrong

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sv6 Sports Wagon
Just to update my portion of this thread, since the new engine I no longer burn ridiculous amounts of oil, it does burn 250ml between 15,000km services which is acceptable to me, So the car is going well finally. Which is great as the warranty ended on the 1st May

Andy sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6
Hi guys,

I purchased a new SIDI SV6 MY10 commodore series I from a Holden dealership at the end of last year.

I decided to change the engine oil at around 8000kms(before the recommended 15,000kms), when I took it to my mechanic he couldn't get a reading as the Dip-stick indicated NO oil. After releasing the engine oil, there was only around 4.7L which should be 6.5L when full (max capacity).

After replenishing the engine oil(Recommended oil viscosity) back to 6.5L and less than 5000kms later, the dipstick showed engine oil levels less than half-way. between "ADD-AREA" and "UPPER-AREA"

The car has always been carefully driven, never thrashed and had 98 RON fuel ever since its first refill.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all. I read this thread and wanted to give you my results. I started using around 1/4 of a dipstick worth of oil in around 1000km. It happened close to the 10,000 km mark. The car did not use a drop until then. I also noticed the fuel consumption rose from 9.1 to 10.5. I topped up the oil and it went to half way in 1000km. I used gtx 10w 30. I changed the oil and put magnatec 10w 30 and valla no oil consumption to date and fuel econony back to normal. Looks to me like the oil broke down. I now plan to change oil every 7500 . I cant see how they can recommend 15000 servicing. Im also going to try 5w 10 full syn. Will keep u posted. Cheers andrew

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Stay away from those cheap bottom shelf oils mate that's the first reason your oil broke down, though 15000k is too long even for the good stuff.
Use a full synthetic SN rated oil of correct grade per your habdbook.

margaret fairbairn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 berlina s2 international
Folks I have had major dramas with MY10 (Nov 2009 built) SIDI SV6 VE Ute.

I reported grinding noise from block about 2 years after new - serviced every 6months and warranty booklet.

The noise came back on 3 occasions just prior to servicing and passed off as loose heat protection plates - I strongly disagreed at the time.
For approx. 12 months I reported oil consumption problems with continued top ups needed every few thousand kms - the holden service centre wouldn't listen as they said they didn't find anything a problem as I had topped up and they wouldn't test it as it seemed ok to them although I informed them of my top ups.
Finally they put me on a oil consumption test for 3000kms beginning of dec 2013- I made it to 2000kms before the warning lights came on- I pulled over and she took 6L of oil before a reading on the dip stick.
They ran diagnostics at Holden TAC, and agreed to replace the motor with a LONG MOTOR and to come back in Jan 2013 - I told them I didn't think it would last that long but still sent on my way.
In a few weeks after in dec 2012 I had the motor seize when I was in 3rd and doing 60kms - dropped down to 5kms and started bunny hopping madly - wasn't able to drive her and had it towed to Holden service.
Holden rushed thru the replacement motor in Dec 2012 in 3 days.

Between Dec 2012 and August 2013 - I experienced loss of oil still and firstly loss of cylinders randomly - holden service reset the computer twice to get rid of me before they listened and acted - finding the manifold was carboned up badly - blaming me for using bad fuel - I only use premium fuel and I then questioned why this would happen, especially after they had told me during the 1st replacement motor that it was a long motor and all components had been attended? no explanation could be given and I was made to pay close to $400 to rectify.

Beginning of August 2013, I had performance issues and engine warning lights come on - this time I had to make 2 trips into holden service before they discovered was due to oil on the throttle body. meanwhile the oil consumption continues to disappear and no explanation given still?
I took her back into Holden service and they ran more tests at Holden TAC - then informing me in Sept 2013 that they would replace another SHORT MOTOR - I was confused why they said with “another SHORT MOTOR” when it was told to me verbally and on invoice- the last replacement was a LONG MOTOR and only less than 12 months before – and now had failed why they would opt for now a SHORT MOTOR? They went on to tell me they don't make a LONG MOTOR and I was mistaken - funny I have their paperwork stating otherwise???- I was fobbed off and ignored and told it wasn't a big deal or major failure on either occasion?
When the first motor that came in the car SEIZED and wasn't drivable, they told me not to worry as they would check every component and it was a LONG MOTOR and would give me no further issue. I couldn’t believe they had now misinformed me the first replacement motor and I now faced a second replacement – WITH NO EXPLINATION WHY EITHER TIME?
Pissed off I was about to have a 3rd motor in my ute - I then requested a replacement or heavily subsidised replacement.
Holden bluntly denied my claim stating they had acted under warranty obligations both times and it was not seen as a major failure and would NOT back date my case.

They replaced the 1st replacement motor -installed in Dec 2012
- in October 2013 with the second SHORT MOTOR.

Since October 2013's replacement, I have been on another oil consumption test and when I returned at 4000kms since the last replacement or 2 months later - 1.1 litres of oil was measured by Holden Service to be missing????
Holden TAC have instructed Holden head office to send me a letter with what they call a goodwill offer along with a statement that the missing oil on the new motor was within the acceptable range???
when I spoke with Holden Customer Care and my case manager - I request the letter to be redrafted to include the spent oil of 1.1L to be stated and what they considered the acceptable range? I was told this was not possible and only the dealership holden service centre could supply that info - passing the buck and avoiding any statement on paper yet again.

The dealership holden service centre has since told me the recent oil consumption loss was due to the engine running in?
Holden make no assumptions and still haven't supplied me with ANY reason why they had to replace the two motors to date?

I will have paid off this vehicle in DEC 2014 and had planned on handing it down in my company as a salary package and then have a financial return on my owned asset along with grow my business. I was then going to purchase a TOYOTA HI-LUX.

Holden replied to my request for a heavily subsidised vehicle with what they call a goodwill offer of putting me into another Holden of my choice (ignoring the fact I still owe $14k on my loan and that I don't want to have to pay for another holden vehicle I never wanted to have to buy and am loosing my 5 year paid off asset) and offered goodwill in way of
-NO dealer delivery, and all on road costs! For a new holden that I never intended on buying or want!
my trade in would leave me with a $1500 return after tradein and I would have to finance approx. $34k for a VF Wagon (the VF would be the only option as I am planning a family in the next 12 months but as I said I DONT WANT ANOTHER HOLDEN or planned to move on another vehicle until mid 2015)

Bottom line - I now seek to find anyone with similar:
1. OIL CONSUMPTION dramas on the SV6 SIDI engine
2. Does anyone know the acceptable oil consumption range for these engines as HOLDEN wont supply it?

I wish to stand upto HOLDEN and I wont go away until this is rectified fairly.
Fair trading and Holden say they are acting fairly - and wont acknowledge that I request any judgement to be back dated to the original beginning of the issue at hand, considering my demurrage of usage, time and that my claim is for the faulty product I bought. One replacement motor I can accept - two failures I cannot - and how can they say it is not a major failure when the 1st motor seized?

I ONLY WANT WHAT I PAID FOR - and that definateky wasn’t a vehicle with so many dramas and continued oil consumption issues that are yet to be explained/diagnosed - WHY is it small consumers always get the blunt end of the stick when dealing with these big companies - and they always get away with it! ENOUGH!

I am backed into a corner with nothing to loose hence why I no choose to expose my case to the public via forums, facebook, radio talkback, I have written to carsgiude who has a similar oil consumption story running seeking people with similar problems, a letter to Current affair shows and am thinking to sign write my ute with lemon and my story so the general public can see- I will also park my vehicle in front of the dealership I purchased it who have also passed the buck and have had no input to my case.

People - this has been one awful experience and much stress and time wasted over the past few years.

I know I am not alone - please help with your advice or stories