Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smash Repair

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Hey,

Unfortunately my car was hit in a car park, smash repairer has said the rear quarter panel will be repaired which leaves me feeling a little uneasy.

Can anyone with experience in smash jobs confirm if this is the normal or will it be filled with "bog" etc?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If the panel is still in shape for the most part, a small amount of bog will be used. Pretty standard practise. But if it’s seriously damaged they’d have to unpick the whole panel and replace it.

Always take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Unfortunately they had already started the repair but I just found out it will be repaired not replaced. So if it seems dodgy will raise the issue with insurer.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Make inquiries now before it’s too late. Show that pic to a couple of independent repair shops and see what they have to say.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not so many years ago it would have been common to repair the rear quarter damage like you have. Younger tradesman would probably struggle with that dent as it takes some old school skill to tap that dent out and then shrink the stretched metal, as well as dealing with the creases.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I'm surprised they would consiuder panel beating that, thought it would be faster to pick and weld a new one in, labour wise. The panel will only be a small cost on the scale of the repair.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
common to repair the rear quarter damage like you have
\
The panel beater the car is with says he does them all the time as the panel is spot welded on. Just hope its not the cheap option.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you have lifetime warranty on crash repairs through insurance? I do and if the repair is not up to standard it gets repaired again, same if it fails.
I too would have thought it would be cheaper to replace with a new one. Tapping, heat shrinking and sanding bog takes a fair time to get it all perfect. Far quicker to replace the panel. I'd be surprised if he is panel beating that dent. If he is unpicking it surely it's cheaper to grab a replacement and stitch it back on. Especially given the newness of the car, you would think a brand new panel could still be bought.

Last edited: