Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Smash Repair

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Yep, lifetime guarantee on repairs. So either way its covered but I also prefer to have it done right the first time. I have also heard when replacing the panel its never the same anyway.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Old mate had similar panel damage to his VE (see page 7 here) which was fixed with a replacement panel. Some discussion in the thread about the pros / cons of beating modern panels.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Also check that they are painting/blending in more than that panel. Nitrate can be a difficult shade so make sure you look at it from different angles under good light before you express satisfaction. As we know there is always an acceptable shade difference with the bumper but you don’t want a noticeable difference with the doors on that side. I had a nitrate VY rear door panelbeated back in the day and it was always slighter darker when viewed direct on. I’ve never had an issue with other colours being matched so beware.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I had a VU ute in Hyper Yellow (metallic). It got hit on the door and the side panel just behind. They repainted the whole side of the car to make sure it matched. Also, it was supposed to be all new parts but when I took off the door card to fit new speakers you could see some of the old BLUE paint!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Be sure to inspect the various stages of the work as it progresses and/or get them to send photos. Also discuss your concerns with your insurance assessor as early as possible in the repair process, especially about new verses old parts being used, panel replacement and bog thickness, as well as life time warranty. Only by being involved will you get some possibility of being well looked after.

But as mentioned, it’s usually paint that causes the most grief as some insurers are less than fussy with paint matching. However the standard is the vehicle must be returned to pre accident condition, so if there is any difference old to new paint, don’t accept it.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Be sure to inspect the various stages of the work as it progresses and/or get them to send photos. Also discuss your concerns with your insurance assessor as early as possible in the repair process, especially about new verses old parts being used, panel replacement and bog thickness, as well as life time warranty. Only by being involved will you get some possibility of being well looked after.

But as mentioned, it’s usually paint that causes the most grief as some insurers are less than fussy with paint matching. However the standard is the vehicle must be returned to pre accident condition, so if there is any difference old to new paint, don’t accept it.
A mate of mine had his car repaired and his wife picked it up from the repairers. When he had checked it over it still had a bit of a crease in the rear panel . He went back and showed them an the response was " it was acceptable " so just make sure you check it out before signing off on it .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Yep, easier to fully check the car when repairs are completed and reject it if not up to standard.

But your mate should talk to the assessor as the insurance company may have higher standards than the panel shops. And the panel shop will listen to the one who puts bread on their table over the vehicle owner any day of the week.

Oh, and even if years have passed, if he had life time repair guarantee he can still discuss it with the insurance assessor and get it fixed...

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
.....Oh, and even if years have passed, if he had life time repair guarantee he can still discuss it with the insurance assessor and get it fixed...

It may be cynical, but I would suggest that a (so called) lifetime guarantee isn't worth the paper that it's written on.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It may be cynical, but I would suggest that a (so called) lifetime guarantee isn't worth the paper that it's written on.

We had the need to test such a guarantee last year on a repair that was done to the family wagon some 9 years earlier.

Rang the insurer (RAC) who told us to speak with the repairer directly and call them back if there were any issues.

Spoke with the repairer who arranged a time to look it over and booked it in on the spot to rectify.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As long as the insurer is still around, it should be valid.
They'll make you go back to the original repairer, should they still exist - but if not, the insurer is responsible for it being fixed elsewhere.