Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snow Chains at the North Pole Safety Alert. !!!!!!

J

Jingle Bells

Safety Alert !!!!!....if you are heading to the snow fields.

Did you know that you cannot fit snow chains to the VF SV6 18" wheels.....unless you are prepared to go to a smaller diameter wheel....will destroy the underlining of the mudguard because of very limited clearance.

Those snow hire people would not have a clue who hire out chains....they will hire you a set for your tyre size...and so make a killing and do not realise they will not fit the modern day cars.....unless you reduce the wheel size.

I know I live in the blizzard parts of Australia......and look up your GMH Manual....they make you aware of this safety procedure.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Safety Alert !!!!!....if you are heading to the snow fields.

Did you know that you cannot fit snow chains to the VF SV6 18" wheels.....unless you are prepared to go to a smaller diameter wheel....will destroy the underlining of the mudguard because of very limited clearance.

Those snow hire people would not have a clue who hire out chains....they will hire you a set for your tyre size...and so make a killing and do not realise they will not fit the modern day cars.....unless you reduce the wheel size.

I know I live in the blizzard parts of Australia......and look up your GMH Manual....they make you aware of this safety procedure.

Mate I go every year in an SSV (19") chains are a hassle but never a problem. 255/40R19 FE2 Sportwagon.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
businesses who hire out snow chains should not be expected to know the ins and outs of every vehicle on the road(not to mention the multitude of tyre sizes available for each one), its just not going to happen.

so theres information in the handbook about fitting snowchains and tyre sizes?(has nothing to do with the wheel, you can get chains to suit big diameter wheels without damaging them)

how fast were you going to manage to munt the plastics? should be sufficient gap unless you're bottoming out the suspension repeatedly.

J

Jingle Bells

Mate I go every year in an SSV (19") chains are a hassle but never a problem. 255/40R19 FE2 Sportwagon.
tyre size

Hey There,
The tyre size on the SSV Sportwagon are 245/40 R19 XL 98VV....not as you stated...you probably never ever used snow chains....and or fitted them....you must go down to 225/60 16X7 wheel and tyre size....and you must switch off the ESC.....Redline VF's cannot be fitted with smaller wheels.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
What size snow chains do you need on your sled Jingle Bells?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
tyre size

Hey There,
The tyre size on the SSV Sportwagon are 245/40 R19 XL 98VV....not as you stated...you probably never ever used snow chains....and or fitted them....you must go down to 225/60 16X7 wheel and tyre size....and you must switch off the ESC.....Redline VF's cannot be fitted with smaller wheels.
He just stated that he has used them.

And his wheels are wider and bigger than yours so....looks like it's pure user error on your behalf.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
tyre size

Hey There,

did you not read his post? he is using 255s on HIS sportswagon, he uses chains every year without a problem.

also, the rolling diameter difference between the 245/40r19 and a 225/60r16 is 3 (yes THREE) millimeters. this is insignificant. the only problem would be width, which will depend on clearance issues on the inner and outer guard.

J

Jingle Bells

businesses who hire out snow chains should not be expected to know the ins and outs of every vehicle on the road(not to mention the multitude of tyre sizes available for each one), its just not going to happen.

so theres information in the handbook about fitting snowchains and tyre sizes?(has nothing to do with the wheel, you can get chains to suit big diameter wheels without damaging them)

how fast were you going to manage to munt the plastics? should be sufficient gap unless you're bottoming out the suspension repeatedly.

Hey There,
Have a look at the clearance on the vf sv6 wheel clearance....obviously you can get chains to fit any size tyre....but if you want to travel at more than the recommended speed of 50kmh...and bottom out and wreck the wheel arches ...well so be it....this thread was for sensible people.....not " MUNT's " like you.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey There,
Have a look at the clearance on the vf sv6 wheel clearance....obviously you can get chains to fit any size tyre....but if you want to travel at more than the recommended speed of 50kmh...and bottom out and wreck the wheel arches ...well so be it....this thread was for sensible people.....not " MUNT's " like you.

sensible people, like retards who want to travel above the RECOMMENDED speeds? pull the other one ole red.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
sensible people, like retards who want to travel above the RECOMMENDED speeds? pull the other one ole red.

We all know Santa's carrying a bit of extra weight....