Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solar Industry "WHAT A CROC" !

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Well I had one of the two SMA Sunny Boy 2500W die on me exactly 2 weeks ago so I decided to search for a Inverter repairer so I found at least 5 IN Brisbane that they display on there front web Page "We Repair Inverters. WHAT A CROC, What a lot of SHI.T So I rang all the companies and yes they repair them but when they came out the lot of them we not interested to repair our sick Inverter (their not smart enough) and they come out with the bullshit OOOooooH you need a new system as your system does not comply to the new changes in the Law ( I know the Laws but It does not effect you is you fix the Existing Inverter or replace it with the same) . I said to them the lot of them in 4 days can you fix the Inverter., I want my inverter fixed, OOOoh if we fix your inverter we will have to change your system to the current Laws, I said you are fixing the Inverter nothing else and he said it will be cheaper to get a new system Fy!@$%$^^ Not much change from $10,000 for a sick inverter.
Eventually the lot of them said we dont fix Inverters because the parts are hard to get (I got them in 7 days) and I said to them You have INVERTERS REPAIRS in large letters on you site and you dont repair them so this Misleading Practices I think ACCC would like to hear about this.

I have other thing to do because I do know how much drama you have to go through with the ACCC, Yes done this before and Got them on another matter. I told them I advise you to tell your boss as you don't repair inverters you just fix not working systems fix and tell the customers that have older systems it not worth repairing so you need a new one $$$$ yet the Law changes again in July the 1st 2028 then you will have to remove the 4 year old system, take it to the tip and buy a new one to suit batteries storage..
Only one guy was honest with me In Brisbane He told me to find someone than can fix Inverters (he did not know anyone) because if you update yours system now you will lose the 44 cent feed in tariff ( I know that) and you will have to have a new system for batteries mid 2028.
By the way did not tell them about my Off Grid System but two installers were interested why the extra panels were on the roof. I said DO YOU FIX INVERTERS you cant get parts (BULLSHI.T) because the the lot of them had no interest of fixing our sick inverter as all they want me to get their system so I can throw it away in less than 4 years.

Anyhow Its working today because once again I have to stick my head on something that I have no interest to do but need to get it working. Thank God for Isolation Transformers that cost under $20 so I got a spare board in the grave yard that had issues with Varistors (over Voltage Protectors) and out of two got one going. Don't worry get the other going soon in the next month or so as a spare

Notice that grey transformer in the middle, yes its the culprit.

You need special tools otherwise your stuffed to do this job, To detach from the Heat sink, Hell it was a challenge.

You can test it by using the Variac that red round thing in the background (other photo) that I can select AC from 0 to 260 Volts AC then use my Bridge Rectifier (plud it in the Socket) to convert the AC to DC then give the SMA Inverter Board 230 Volts DC (Need 220 DC or more to fire it up.) acting like solar panels
Trust me my head was sore after doing this job my strokes have effected me as my concentration is wanting as 230V DC will kill you faster compared to 230V AC.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That’s the problem these days, no one wants to sell you a repair of anything existing, they want to upsell you a brand new thing as there’s more money in it for them.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Great work with that repair mate!
Is SMA the brand of inverter? Is it common in Australia?
SMA is one of the better brands of inverters and quite common here.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

They make the Sunny Boy inverters, which is (or was?) probably the best brand of inverter you could get in the early days. They were also transformer isolated (so the panels were galvanically isolated from the mains) which made them safer to use. German made from memory (but I could be wrong on that?). Other brands entered the market with cheaper (and possibly inferior) products so they don’t seem to be very prevalent in the market now.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Good thread topic

I'm looking to get some solar stuff for a new house in a few years

If this thread doesn't go off topic to far, like most seem to do, it could be full of invaluable information for someone starting from scratch, or upgrading existing systems

Every company says their stuff is the best, but finding honest reviews and experiences in relation to quality and long term reliability for all things solar is like asking what oil I should use or how often I should change it

My plan is to get as many panels as I can fit on the roof to supply as much power as it can to avoid depending on the grid to much, but with some form of reliability

Needing to upgrade or replace old panels due to inefficiency, inverters from failure or batteries regularly isn't what I want

Reactions: Lex

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
We just signed up for a 19.3kW system but elected to not have a battery as the numbers just don't stack up.

What's this thing about 2028 and required changes to be battery ready?

Edit - when we did some research and all the quotes, there are plenty of companies willing to sell you the high-end gear and make it out that it's the best thing out there. For those that get right into the tech specs and argue on forums about efficiency gains in the order of a fraction of a percent, then go for it. In reality there are a few more variables that come into play. Those forums are pits of hell.

I'm an engineer and even I couldn't bother getting to the depths of it, I have better things to do. After all it all just converts the sun's energy to power. We ended up choosing a mid range system, quicker payback.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
SMA the Best inverters, both are over clocked. I got these two back in 2008 as they were obsolete and bullet proof. That's damm long time sweating in hot days, from late 2009 to October 2023 over clocked (More panels than rated to the inverter) yet they last.
This inverter a TRANSFORMER ONE is solid but like the best it suffers with with one issue "Grid Disturbance" "I MAX" issue like most transformer ones have. Yeah most dont know how to fix this issue that shut one or two string of or shut the inverter down. Now to fix this issue Solar Company's $$$$$$$$$$$$$ hate me to telling all you have to get rids of all 98% a fair connections they must be 100% to remove this issue. What I do or tell people to do get a sparkie that does not do Solar Panel/inverter work and I will tell him what to do. All you need is a good pliers with rough jaws and undo all connection from the Inverter to the Circuit Breaker to the Main Switch and and if you have two or more cable on the main switch or breakers TWIST THEM together like what most sparkie do but rough scratched treatment of the copper wire then insert them in the switch or breaker and tighten them FULLY, I mean fully then jiggle the wires then tighten them again.
Most inverters are wired with 2.5MM Sq a 7.067 cable that has 7 strands of .067 cable and if you break one strand you must replace or cut and start again. I always use wire cutters that cut perfect and this is reason why you must leave at least 100mm spare cable in your switch board to do this other wise you have to replaces the cable.

The Original SMA was built in GERMAN, (my ones) the later ones come under license from China but they are 95% as good as the German ones.
All inverters now are TRANSFORMERLESS for the last 10 or 12 years

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
They make the Sunny Boy inverters, which is (or was?) probably the best brand of inverter you could get in the early days. They were also transformer isolated (so the panels were galvanically isolated from the mains) which made them safer to use. German made from memory (but I could be wrong on that?). Other brands entered the market with cheaper (and possibly inferior) products so they don’t seem to be very prevalent in the market now.
YES,YES, and YES. Honestly you can over drive or over clock most other brand as they DIE!!!!! I don't mind paying if the item I get is Quality. Fot OFF GRID Stuff the Number one company in the World is VICTRON from I think Netherlands. Most Chinese inverters are RUBBISH. Yes SMA the early days till around 2014 or 15 are made in Germany but today there made under license in China

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
We just signed up for a 19.3kW system but elected to not have a battery as the numbers just don't stack up.

What's this thing about 2028 and required changes to be battery ready?
Yes in Queensland the 44 cent or 40 Cents depending who your are in feed in tariff stops on 1st of July 2028 then it battery time. Yes the numbers some time does not stack up but if you can do the Work yourself and if you know sparkie to sign it up your off. I'm 73 had 1 heart attack 3 full blown strokes that they keep me in Hospital over 3 months for each and had 7 TIA's (small strokes) the last one was 4 months ago and only DEATH will stop me working. yes 16 years of health issues and personally I think that HARD WORK has keep me alive. I'm very stubborn.

By the way to purchase a 19.3kW system and you getting a max of 10 cents per kw (Losing big time) all your are doing is sending power to your neighbour and he has to pay 26 to 35 or more cents and you get 10 or less cents per kw. by this the companies are laughing all the way to the Bank.

This is one of the reason why I have a Very Good OFF Grid System which I'm still improving day by day. All made by me bought the bits and pieces on ebay. I need this for the house but mainly our Satellite Monitoring System.

All got from Ebay

Battery Cabinet use from the supplier to OFFICE WORKS. Office Works are too expensive so I found a get around to get them to house the batteries