Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solved Exhaust Drone

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
I put a bedspread in the boot, not a mattress. I have a stock V6, no turbo, no doof doof exhaust, the car is original in every respect. Compared to my old VZ I just find there is a low "drone" noise entering the cabin, which I (unqualified assessment) have put down to an exhaust noise. I threw an old chenille bedspread into the boot to see if I could absorb the noise and it seems to have worked. I just thought I would share it with others.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You haven't changed the exhaust in any way at all?

New2Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
You haven't changed the exhaust in any way at all?

No, and I only have done 8K since new. I was thinking the (different) noise was because of twin exhaust in the VE Calais compared to the single in the VZ.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
The OP has a V6 by the looks of it?

my bad, i thought it was on both v6 and v8 pipes though, i cant say ive noticed the drone on single pipe v6's

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
i believe the stock rear mufflers produce a drone in the rear at a particular rpm and speed range, in the v8's

the plastic spare tyre carrier dosnt help the situation

The V8's (stock) don't drone either. Well, mine doesn't anyway...

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
never noticed the 6 drone in factory trim either....

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
my bad, i thought it was on both v6 and v8 pipes though, i cant say ive noticed the drone on single pipe v6's

Given the nature of factory exhausts it seems unlikely. Given he's solved it by insulating the boot, I'd be looking at the diff, an exhaust leak, or just plain old road noise.

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
Mine are droning like a bastard at the moment... Dont know why either? Only that ever since Holden removed my exhaust to replace the auto trans in April, the car has been droning ever since. They say they have re tentioned it and even removed and re added to the car. No change...
I have to go back to Holden again for them to compare it to another VE V8 sedan.

One thing is for sure that it never dronned like this before the gearbox was replaced and the exhaust removed. It doesnt look like its touching or rubbing on anything but who know! I just wish I could get some help with it as Im hating it every time I go out and drive it.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Mine are droning like a bastard at the moment... Dont know why either? Only that ever since Holden removed my exhaust to replace the auto trans in April, the car has been droning ever since. They say they have re tentioned it and even removed and re added to the car. No change...
I have to go back to Holden again for them to compare it to another VE V8 sedan.

One thing is for sure that it never dronned like this before the gearbox was replaced and the exhaust removed. It doesnt look like its touching or rubbing on anything but who know! I just wish I could get some help with it as Im hating it every time I go out and drive it.

Is it possible they forgot a gasket, or didn't tighten something properly? Surely if it's the same system it shouldn't be droning after a removal and re-fit???