Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound system

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
oh yeah we also made custom 6 x 9 speaker boxes to sit behind the rear headrests, im about to start in on pimping my car out with sound n cant really decide on what I want to do, definately gunna replace all speakers and put in a amp + sub but not sure if i can be assed replacing the headunit

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
oh yeah we also made custom 6 x 9 speaker boxes to sit behind the rear headrests, im about to start in on pimping my car out with sound n cant really decide on what I want to do, definately gunna replace all speakers and put in a amp + sub but not sure if i can be assed replacing the headunit

Also Quoted for a nice response...

Listen to this man, He knows about SQ!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Now now play nice, this isn't helping the OP. SuperSixty6, Delish-VY didn't say he had the best system, he said "used to get pure crisp sound out of my last car as loud as I could bear it without any distortion" . If Delish-VY was happy with that setup then cool.

Delish-VY I'm sure that if you heard some truly top-of-the-market gear you would agree that it is better, but if you like what you got then its your choice.

BTW SuperSixty6, having that sort of system I'm guessing you go in comps and stuff. Any idea when the next Brisbane comp might be on, I would really like to go to one to see what others have and maybe to enter. Or is there a website with dates or anything?

stooie

Stui
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy executive series ll
im looking at replacing the head unit....and im not sure how much to spend as i will be byeing parts sepratly so i will be keeping an eye on how much money i spend on the audio as i would like to do other mods to my car

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
you have wasted your money if u spent 3500 lol, i used to get pure crisp sound out of my last car as loud as I could bear it without any distortion and that whole setup only cost a grand, anything more than that is just for show or completely unnecessary

Why is it completely unnessacary? Could we not argue that anything larger than a 2.0 engine, is unnessacary, or that fitting wheels any larger than 15'' stock is pointless?

Some people enjoy audio, simple as that, whether it be in the car, or at home.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
I enjoy audio aswell, and i do understand that with a stock head unit there are limitations on it obviously but i prefer the aesthetic feel of the stock head unit and dont want a big gaping hole in the dash, and yes as he pointed I didn't say I have the best system I said it gave me crisp sound to as loud as I would want it, and 20k IS definately a joke ammount and completely unnecessary...compensation perhaps? oh well music is music and if you want to put a sound system in your ...vt as i can see...that is worth probly 5 times what your whole car is worth...thats up to you..i hope you have a blast

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Acarmody - I use too be into a little SPL, But not anymore. I can't remember the sites i use to be on so sorry i can't help you out there. Just because of the high price don't assume it is an SPL build, It's actually SQ - Which personally i think music is all about.

Damn, I can't seem to find a guide or something about comp dates. I missed the last one because I was still building the sub boxes. Oh well I'll just ask at Northfield Moorooka, they seem to have a lot of quality systems they might know.

Villan_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina 02 V6
As your lookng at a sub or 2 maybe have a look at this kind of box as they are not that big and lite as well and fit nice in your car. I have 2 of them left and right side running 2 soundstream SPL12 subs for some kick arse bass. Im still using the stock head unit with line converters to changr it to RCA outs in to a soundstream ref 405 amp with kenwood speakers. Its loud and pumps like hell.

JB3s VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
LOL at this thread!

To the OP, as im sure youv noticed, audio gear is such a personal choice. Depending what you want out of it, some might consider 1500 too much, where as some might consider 5k cheap!

Im assuming you just want your average, run of the mill system.
You will save alot of money if you can install yourself, as it means you can hunt around shops like strahtfield, JB hifi ect ect and buy bits one by one as they go on sale.

Alpine gear would be fine, iv found there Type R stuff is great value for money, not too expensive but still decent SQ. If you want to spend less, alot of people wouldnt be able to hear the differences between the R and S type alpines so they are good aswell.

If your going to do the one by one shop around thing, dont lock yourself into one brand, some people will tell you not to mix brands ect, but from my experience (and lack of true SQ knowledge) i dont think there is anything wrong with mixing!

Oh and also, no point buying top line speakers then stinging on the amp, buy speakers subs and amps that are well suited to each other to get the most out of your money.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
yet again I find myself agreeing with JB, well said. Not everybody dedicates their lives to sound but we still enjoy it! , wish you luck finding a good combination for a reasonable price...let me know what you end up going with cos im fairly close to starting on mine n ide like to know how urs goes