Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sound system

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
snip > I prefer the aesthetic feel of the stock head unit and dont want a big gaping hole in the dash, < snip

A properly fitted double DIN DVD headunit looks a lot better than original,and works better too.
Gaping holes ????
Stock headunits in all Commodores are crap imho,the amount of them I have sent back over the years for warranty speaks volumes for their poor quality.
One customer had 3 replacements during the warranty period.
The headunits are built down to a price,not to a quality standard.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
im all for getting a dvd heaadunit except it would now be completely pointless because im pretty sure its illegal to have a dvd screen visible to the driver while the car is on

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
im all for getting a dvd heaadunit except it would now be completely pointless because im pretty sure its illegal to have a dvd screen visible to the driver while the car is on

I think you better check the rules.It's illegal to be able to play a movie while the car is moving,most sets are set up to prevent this from the factory.
The DVD screen is also used as a touch screen interface to control the unit,or your Ipod or whatever else you have connected to it.
I have my Pioneer DVD player fitted with a reversing camera,which I think should be standard on all new cars.
And the fact that you can load a DVD disc full of high quality MP3s,you only ever need one disc in the car and you don't have to worry about CD storage or somebody stealing your music collection.
The standard headunit is crap,and you will never realise it till you fit something better.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
i have replaced standard head units before, and in case you didnt realise I said i know ill get better quality with a non-stock headunit but it will look average, so yeah way to point out the obvious, but yes i did go to autobarn today and they said the same thing about not having a movie on

VY Woodsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s-pack 3.8L
just get a facia kit so you don't have a big hole in your dash... they are only like $50... aerpro make them...

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
yeah mate definately considering getting one because I CBF getting a dvd headunit which my mate wants me to get because it"ll fill the hole lol...pretty much no other use cos i doubt ill use it for videos all that much, one of my other mates has a fascia kit and its ok looking...not great but i spose it gets the job done

whitey66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Sedan
Even if you fit a double din DVD player you still need a fascia kit.
They make them in the same colour to match the paint on the console.
If anybody is after an as new Pioneer AVH-P4000 DVD head unit for sale (used for about 8 months on weekends only).
I only replaced it to get the newer model that has a tilt screen,plus there was nothing I needed for my birthday so I upgraded :) .
It is equivalent to the AVH-P4050,i'm after a quick sale so i'll let it go for $350 plus postage.
It still retails for $1499 on Pioneer site here Visual Audio :: Pioneer Australia
It also has a new fitting kit to fit VY and a new Ipod cable.

My username on Ebay is whitey_66 if anybody wants to check my credibility :) .

doobs

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VY LS1 Berlina Wagon
just get a facia kit so you don't have a big hole in your dash... they are only like $50... aerpro make them...

And they look just fine, thats what I have done to mine using a single din unit, and have to the steering wheel controls to work with it aswell.

As all have said, car audio is a personal thing, I can't see the point in spending more than $1500 on a system, but im sure others can. Remeber to budget for cables as well, and install it yourself, save tons of coin and learn a bit...

Response (jaycar) gear is very good value for money, thats pretty much all ive used for amplification, and have had not issues, I like alpine head units, seem to be well built and functional, I like to use focal and peerless speakers, as they are awsome and cheapish for me... response also make good speakers, and if you know someone with an electus account they are very cheap too...