Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Springs for Spac/SS

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Hey,

I'm a little confused with Spack/SS springs.

Does Spac springs sit a little lower on a SS because the factory springs in a Spac is a little higher than the SS.

I was told Factory SS springs are fe2? and they are the same as "lows" ? wouldnt king springs lows for an SS be lower than fe2?

I thought the front was a little lower using the SL king springs from the spac due to the weight of the engine bay?

I have Superlows for my SS in the rear, from the spac, it sits too low with all the weight from the stereo. I need to raise the rear end at least an inch. I like King Springs so what would you guys suggest?

Thanks

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
I was looking for king springs lows, but I don't know if I should get the V6 ones or V8 ones.

The "Lows" look on the V6 is too high for me, but if I can get it inbetween Superlow and Low, that would be great. By getting V6 Lows?

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Fe2 are the same across models, ie s, ss, and Calais or even exec if optioned.
The weight of the options, interiors, and of course engine should be the only difference in height.
Fe2 is approx 25-30mm lower than standard.
Kings low is approx 30mm also.
Super lows approx 50mm.
Maybe try pedders or ask a king spring supplier about custom options.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
The reson why I ask is because,

This is V6 Super lows on a Spac, I thought V8 springs in an SS would make it this height.

34pl3ww.jpg

and this is v6 Super lows on a SS

1o6gj8.jpg

eq5m6v.jpg

That is with weight in the boot ^

See what I mean, so if i put V6 Lows, that might be a tad higher in the rear?

EDIT*

The factory springs from the SS is now on the Spac, and its high as f*k.

icpmd1.jpg

And this is how high the SS was with those springs

21mx4wl.jpg

What I pretty much wanna do, is go a little lower than that in the rear ^ that way the weight will sag down to what it looked like with the super lows on the spac. So do I go V8 Super lows? or v6 Lows or v8 Lows?

Is there even a difference between the springs for the v8 and v6 models? I thought the V8 Superlow springs would put the car about the same height as the first picture (v6 superlows on the spac). Because when you ask for them at the shop, they need to know what model the car is, and if it is a V6 or V8?

Thanks

Last edited:

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
I put the Spac spring on the rear asumeing that is fe2? so if I were to put a low spring i'm guessing it would be the same height?

2817tsl.jpg

D-mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SV8
I have king springs KHRL 46hd in the rear of my vy sv8 and it sits perfect. Wheel arch is rite on the top of tyre, so its not tucking guard. Hope this helps for the rear. As for the front KHFL 47sl hd makes my front wheel arch sit about 15mm above the front tyre. My car is a sedan v8.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
For rear springs it's the same no matter what engine you have because the car is pretty much the same weight at the rear. Weight difference in the front is not much, the weight of the V8 engine causes the front to be about 5mm lower.

You need to tell us what the part number on the springs are. Reason being that the "SL" part number rear spring for VT-VZ is not actually 'super low' and if you just ask a retailer for 'super low' you can be mistakenly given an 'ultra low' spring.
Rear Springs: KHRL-45 is 'low', KHRL-45HD is 'low heavy duty', KHRL-46HD is 'super low' and KHRL-46SLHD is 'ultra low'.

It is important that you get the spring with the 'HD' in the part number for rear super low and ultra low heights as the 'non-HD' springs are a softer spring for the lighter VN-VS and could result in a lower than expected height when you load up the car, or bottom out more easily over bumps. HD springs are physically shorter when uncompressed and stiffer to achieve the same static height, so you need shortened shocks to ensure they don't fall out.

I don't think the weight of the stereo is the issue, but rather that someone has mistakenly given you the wrong springs (i think they are 46SL).

My dad has a stock Spac with original FE2 springs and my V6 Berlina with KHRL-45HD sat about 5mm lower in the rear than his. Now i've got a big stereo (3 amps, 2 beefy subs, **** load of MDF) and it's about 10mm lower than his. General rule of thumb, for every 15kg in the boot the rear of the car goes down 1mm.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8503/8439824789_1fa17c4f3e_b.jpg
^my car with KHFL-47HD and KHRL-45HD

Last edited:

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I have ultras all round, gets every where no probs with the family.. Looking at your pics is say like above that someone has given you the wrong springs..

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
The Rear springs I have are KHRL 46 SL, they were fine in the spac with a bit of sag but then I put them in the SS with 3 times the weight in the boot, they sagged that much as in the photo ^. I do have shortened struts. So if I were to get the Heavy Duty super lows I will be fine with 200+kg in the boot or should I get Lows HD ?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
I have the khrl-46slhd.. I Have 1/3 of the back tire in the guard with nothing in the boot just a full tank of petrol.. What shocks have you got in there?