Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS exhaust problem

webferret

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore
I knew X-force were bad but that sounds like a four cylinder and not a good one.

well done I think you should change you user name to (Big Child) as that's what you sound like mate really grow up, what's it your business what my car sounds like.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
ok, as long as you promise never to post clips of that cheap, nasty exhaust ever again.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
ok, as long as you promise never to post clips of that cheap, nasty exhaust ever again.

That is funny TBH, I wouldn't call that a stealth cam personally, I think it would give you away a bit up the shops!! Sounds more like an old clapped out Gemini bush basher from the 70's, 3/4 cylinders dancing spastic, was expecting white, blue or sooty smoke!

I think it's a combination of things including the recording in all fairness, see my video a couple of posts above it is same X-force 2.5" on same engine, both similar output but very differently tuned.
I suggest that before the expensive, branded muffler swapover, the "stealth" sound was too fricken rude like a Harley, some prolly say sounded sick (better) coz lumpy + 4->1, but manners and noise and drone were likely not good enough for the street. So bit the bullet and bought a billet tipped brand-aid muffler off the shelf to fix it, and pose a bit. First should've tried a plug in one of the X-force's twin ports per muffler... works a treat, a reversible noise compromise that uses recycled materials.

The issue is not the brand of catback or how much you paid for a couple of steel pipes, that is commercial bullshit. What this shows is that same pipes, same car (different tuning steps to get) same power, sounds radically different... and the most effective way to tame and tweak the car's exhaust sound is to swap cans and/or add helmholtz at the rear (axleback not catback).

Points regarding muffler choice for our cars, thanks to webferret:
  1. axleback muffler has nothing or very little to do with performance
  2. these two cans are the most important noise / sound determinant
  3. muffle a rough-idling, high-performance, sick sounding V8 enough and it will sound like a 120Y... with dual exhausts
  4. a good muffler will stop drone but death by muffler is just... unacceptable!
  5. no need to compromise a good sporty sound / volume to get a no drone daily driver

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the easiest option is to get a new exhaust, at least then I am able to choose how it sounds.

I like the kpm sound but is there similar sounding systems that don't cost $2500

Good stuff, glad we could shed some light. Post a video when you fit your new system!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Pir4te.

"Also seems the most effective way to tame and tweak the car's exhaust is axleback not catback, swapping mufflers and/or adding helmholtz pipes to suit."

I think you're spot on with this statement. My car is a case in point. With my Son's axle backs fitted mine has a loud idle, very crackly, popping and deep. With my factory AFM axle backs fitted, it's tame at idle but unmistakably a V8, but with a reserved deep throated growl under even modest acceleration.

The sound comes out the rear so clearly the easiest place to "control" or "tune" that sound would be closest to the point of exit in my layman's view.

I reckon there are plenty of nice sounding L98's, L77's with rear mufflers and no drone.

Webferret,
While it sounds a bit odd through my PC speakers too, personally I think your car's lumpy idle would sound awesome in person, and I reckon it would be hyper under acceleration too! It reminds me of an XU1!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Go the Sandpiper Pir4te!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Put very simply, the rear mufflers are exactly that, mufflers. They are what influence the sound and flow the most. If they are quiet, chances are they are restrictive. That is the nature of exhaust.

As PIR4TE so often says, the tuning of the exhaust to eliminate unwanted frequencies it the key. Slapping on a pair of mufflers by themselves will often change the note and make it louder, but because they aren't frequency matched to the front section, they will, more often then not, induce drone or just a crappy note in general. That is where the front section comes into play, it is designed to take out certain frequencies at particular revs to reduce drone and give a nice V8 note. (Well most brands anyway).

Exhaust is not that technical or difficult to get right, but it's also not cheap to get right either. What's the saying? Cheap, fast, reliable, you can only pick two. Same with exhaust, cheap, sounding good, flowing good, you can only pick two.

caspanixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
UPDATE

Bought a manta 3" mild steel catback and fitted it today, drone is completely gone and the car sounds even better now. Video coming soon

I do have some white smoke coming out of the exhaust and it smells like burning rubber, any idea what this is?

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
UPDATE

Bought a manta 3" mild steel catback and fitted it today, drone is completely gone and the car sounds even better now. Video coming soon

I do have some white smoke coming out of the exhaust and it smells like burning rubber, any idea what this is?

just be the exhaust settling in I would assume,white smoke is usually just steam or the fuel you got at the moment has more crap in it than usual,nothing to worry about imo