Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ss or xr6 turbo

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
I agree with you, torque is more important. Pretty sure a 6 with 20+ psi in the mid has a fair bit of torque:p

20+ psi gutless down low v8 same power 7-11 psi (depending on type) has more low and mid, turbo more top end

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Gutless down low? Do you understand how a turbo works? Or are you one of those simpletons that reads too many magazines and straight away 'OMG TURBO LAG'!
A PD blower will have more down low, 100% agree. Wouldn't call the 6 gutless by any stretch of the word, it's a 4.0lt 6, not a 1.6lt 4 banger.

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
Gutless down low? Do you understand how a turbo works? Or are you one of those simpletons that reads too many magazines and straight away 'OMG TURBO LAG'!
A PD blower will have more down low, 100% agree. Wouldn't call the 6 gutless by any stretch of the word, it's a 4.0lt 6, not a 1.6lt 4 banger.
Still mate until you hit boost there gutless I have a mate with a bf xr6(non turbo) ute it can even line lock its that gutless
And yes I know you have to wait for your exhaust to spool your turbo and I know your probs making full boost at 3500-4000 but still if your racing a v8 car with the same power your shity turbo 6 will lose why do you think drag cars are mainly supercharged most burnout cars supercharged-reliable consistent power

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
why do you think drag cars are mainly supercharged most burnout cars supercharged-reliable consistent power

wow........

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
People are missing the point that the ford comes with a turbo from stock. By the time you add you charger to your v8 say goodbye to 10k.

Stock v stock, with same amount of cash dropped on each vehicle, me thinks the ford will shock a few people.

Bang for buck, they are the new VL turbo.

That link with the magnesium charger is on a car with head and cam(4-5k), full pipes (2-4k), charger (8-10k) and e85 fuel system upgrade (1-2k), OTR (500) and a tune (1-1500).

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Still mate until you hit boost there gutless I have a mate with a bf xr6(non turbo) ute it can even line lock its that gutless
And yes I know you have to wait for your exhaust to spool your turbo and I know your probs making full boost at 3500-4000 but still if your racing a v8 car with the same power your shity turbo 6 will lose why do you think drag cars are mainly supercharged most burnout cars supercharged-reliable consistent power

Dude aside for top fuelers, turbo charged vehicles are leading the way.

Burnout cars are charged due to the heat problems turbos create.

http://youtu.be/qiQYdkgS2sQ
Don't matter how much low down torque you got. With power coming on that hard your toast.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Speaking of cost, one of the guys on the ford forums has ran a 10.93 with his FG F6 having spent under $7k. How many SS's run 10's for under $7k?

Vz SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SSV Redline
Dude aside for top fuelers, turbo charged vehicles are leading the way.

Burnout cars are charged due to the heat problems turbos create.

BTA Motorsports 1000hp 'Monster' Ford F6 turbo - YouTube
Don't matter how much low down torque you got. With power coming on that hard your toast.

People on hear are bringing up mods and bank for buck
100% bang for buck f6 cos you can make power cheap with boost controller and full exhaust (running high boost not as reliable)
As for allout better power v8 all the way all the horsepower heros ain't 6 cylinders
Also with the burnout car they need more down low so when they dig in when they spin it has the downlow torque to keep them spinning

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
People on hear are bringing up mods and bank for buck
100% bang for buck f6 cos you can make power cheap with boost controller and full exhaust (running high boost not as reliable)
As for allout better power v8 all the way all the horsepower heros ain't 6 cylinders
Also with the burnout car they need more down low so when they dig in when they spin it has the downlow torque to keep them spinning
Wait, we're building a HP heroes car now? If you want to go that way, all the biggest numbers are from turbo cars:p
How is running high boost not reliable? Mine runs 20-21psi and does 600K's a week, never had a single issue with it.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
The good skid cars once goin don't drop below 5500RPM. Check out blokes like RVK355, which is Narurally Aspirated mind u. He holds that thing on 8600 from start to finish.

Only the children skid below 4000. Hell my 304 makes sweet fark all below 4000RPM, but I can still hold top gear at 6700.