Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Exhaust and engine bay advice needed

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
you can deffinatly just do a cat back now and then do the rest later thats how I did it I started with the CAI then after a while added the cat back then the headers and cats all depends on your finances and how much you want to mod it really

deppends on what type of cat back you get if it'll be legal or not most 2.5" ones should be but I'm not sure about 3" and the emissions will only be affected if you change cats

here's a vid of my car with just the HM Headers cat back exhaust

a video of the car doing a drive past would sound awesome

disorganise

Reaction score
Members Ride
F2 GTS 2015
you can deffinatly just do a cat back now and then do the rest later thats how I did it I started with the CAI then after a while added the cat back then the headers and cats all depends on your finances and how much you want to mod it really

deppends on what type of cat back you get if it'll be legal or not most 2.5" ones should be but I'm not sure about 3" and the emissions will only be affected if you change cats

here's a vid of my car with just the HM Headers cat back exhaust

If you don't mind sharing, could you advise how much that was? Just wondering what I should be budgeting.

Sounds pretty good - is that without changing the cats?

thanks

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
if you change the cats you'll have to have the dyno tune done. otherwise you'll have the check engine coming on.

redvess

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
If you don't mind sharing, could you advise how much that was? Just wondering what I should be budgeting.

Sounds pretty good - is that without changing the cats?

thanks

it was $1500 fitted for the cat back and the vid is with the standard headers and cats

samdssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
'08 VE SS-V Manual
Hey guys,
I have a mate with a VZ SS, for something cheap, he just cut out the muffler and welded back on straight through pipe.. May not be suitable for everyone but the tone is better.. and would not be considered too loud at all.. :) $$$$$$$$ saving but like I said maybe not for everyone.. Happy driving.

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
another option from what i am told is to get the rear mufflers changed to a pair of high-flow mufflers. Won't increase the performance any, but you get the same twin pipes each side and you don't get the drone on the highway at about 1,800rpm. I'm told the cost is about $400, but i haven't stopped by the zorst place to confirm it yet.
You could go down this track.......

ae83_1.JPG

But without resonators on the back, the drone inside the car would not be nice.
Sound good though :w00t:

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
that sounds nice :thumbsup:

quincy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Poison Ivy Series 2
The exhaust change will void the warranty, to what extent i dont know. It may void it completely or just the exhaust. who knows?

The cat back will be enough to make it crackle, but just go the full system, (extractors, cats and catback), it will sound heaps better and will also give it more go.

In relation to the "chip" the commodores made after the series 1 VT did not come with the chip (memcal) they came with flash programmable memory so they need to be plugged into a computer to be programmed. Generally when done in "real time" on the dyno, i would expect around 250kwkw, possible more. I dont know how much loss to expect through the driveline. Of course the figures will change depending on what mods the engine has.

Asked my dealer the same questions about CAI and exhausts . Firstly Growler cold air induction kits are used by walkinshaw (just re-badged) so good chance holden wouldn,t/couldn,t void warranty as long as kit and filter are well maintained. As far as the exhaust is concerned I was told cats back is the safest option since any sensors are between engine - cats so the dealer claims it could be argued if any prob's are attributed to incorrect readings or codes from these sensors they could void the warranty. Obviously this is only one authorised dealers opinion so others might vary

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
I have put a D@T 2.5 SS cat back on my car and it does make a difference it is about 24 kws and boy it is really very noticeable, it really does open it up and makes it very responsive , the exhaust is not cheap and there is a drone at certain stages but you can either be a little lighter with your right foot or put it down a bit harder there seems to be drone on certain exhaust pressure , but the sound is glorious it has a low deep rumble and it is not loud , it puts a smile on your face every time you are driving it