Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ssv or redline

SE1Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF - SSV - Redline Sedan
Nobody has mentioned resale value.

Depending on how long you intend to keep the car, you need to consider this.

Forever car, pick whatever...
But if you like to upgrade/trade-in every couple of years, I'd go the redline.

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
Nobody has mentioned resale value.

Depending on how long you intend to keep the car, you need to consider this.

Forever car, pick whatever...
But if you like to upgrade/trade-in every couple of years, I'd go the redline.

% loss between a Redline and SSV will be similar (Redline is $9k more expensive and will lose more actual $$$), and you still lose a **** load buying any new car.

I was in the same position, with exception that I wanted a wagon,(that doesn't get a sunroof or BOSE) so for me it was an easier decision.
A nice set of HSVi 20's, lowering springs and a Caddy CTS-V 6 pot upgrade will still leave you change for a OTR and a tune out of your $9K.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
if the SSV has the sunroof wouldn't it have the Bose as well? I thought they were part of the same package?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Is it the same colour, or are they pushing you into a colour you like less? When my partner bought her Crze they were very strong pushing her to take a red one from the lot for a couple of grand off, but if you hate the colour, you won't like the car.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
How much do they charge for the BOSE upgrade? I'm shopping for a wagon so I don't get that option, but i also couldn't see it when using the car builder at the holden website.
Was curious to see what they charged and what i'd get from autobarn for the same $

JTmofo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Sportswagon
How much do they charge for the BOSE upgrade? I'm shopping for a wagon so I don't get that option, but i also couldn't see it when using the car builder at the holden website.
Was curious to see what they charged and what i'd get from autobarn for the same $

I believe that the BOSE system requires an amp or sub (can remember which) that sits behind the rear seats/under the parcel shelf. This would mean finding somewhere else for it in a wagon.... hence why they dont offer the BOSE in the wagon redline.

I've not heard of anyone optioning it as an extra on a SS or SSV wagon either.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
I believe that the BOSE system requires an amp or sub (can remember which) that sits behind the rear seats/under the parcel shelf. This would mean finding somewhere else for it in a wagon.... hence why they dont offer the BOSE in the wagon redline.
I've not heard of anyone optioning it as an extra on a SS or SSV wagon either.
I understand thats why its not available, so I went to the holden site to build a sedan so I could see how much they charge on the sedan for the BOSE. Lets say its $1000
I could then get my wagon, go to autobarn and spec out a suitable system (without sub) for $1000

My days of driving around with doofdoofdoof coming from my boot are long past me now, but the clarity from the factory speakers that came with my VF1 Calais was pretty average.

timandhayley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra RS-V Hatch
Sunroof and BOSE is $2,490 on an SSV Sedan.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I can't see more than $1k being reasonable for a sunroof; and I reckon you could do pretty well if you pick reasonable components & spend $1500 on sound. Decent component speakers & amps are dirt cheap compared to 20 years ago!

Carcool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV Man
I thought the same but dropped into the local car audio shop and they were talking about $1500 to upgrade the stereo with an amp and quality speakers , and a aftermarket sunroof fitted would be well over a grand on top of that and realistically there is no comparison with a production line fitted one compared to a aftermarket one. Overall I think that $2490 was reasonable figure.

I can't see more than $1k being reasonable for a sunroof; and I reckon you could do pretty well if you pick reasonable components & spend $1500 on sound. Decent component speakers & amps are dirt cheap compared to 20 years ago!