Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline VS Mustang GT

Erez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2
Hey Guys,

First post here so apologies if this was discussed already / Not allowed.
I currently own a 2016 Mustang GT and thinking of swapping it to a SSV Redline.
The GT is really fun to drive, but as I have a 9 month old, I find myself sitting in the Subaru Outback a lot more than I should. I hope that a 4 door V8 will change that...

Has anyone here done a similar swap and can share his 2 cents?

Cheers,

Erez

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I have never owned a Mustang, but I have driven one and find them surprizingly good and nimble.

I like the idea of a 2 door weekender, but I could never live with the two star safety and the fact that it only has 2 doors and no useable back seat.

It's about your priorities. If I were you, I would be doing the SSV.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hi Erez,
I think this will be an interesting thread.
From a fun factor perspective I think you'll find the cars similar. The VF2 Redline is an awesome car.
For me, having the peace of mind of having my young child in a well built, strong and safe Australian vehicle would be enough motivation to make the swap.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
2-star safety thing is effectively a beat-up in the real world, I wouldn't let that affect you.

If considering a VF1, do have a think & a listen & a feel while test-driving; alternately, consider the tune that turns-off cylinder deactivation. The standard VF1 leaves something to be desired on the aural front, and the auto gearbox is also pretty sucky compared to the Mustang one.

VF2 fixes the sound issues, nothing much fixes the auto 'box issues.

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
I like the idea of a 2 door weekender, but I could never live with the two star safety and the fact that it only has 2 doors and no useable back seat.

It's about your priorities. If I were you, I would be doing the SSV.
^this

Hi Erez,
The VF2 Redline is an awesome car.
For me, having the peace of mind of having my young child in a well built, strong and safe Australian vehicle would be enough motivation to make the swap.

^^^...and this
While i am not keen on the complete look of the newer Mustangs - they do drive nicely......but so does my VF2 Redline

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385

Just on this point, the Redline and the Mustang have not been rated on the same scale. The Mustang was rated using the far harsher Euro NCAP which places key emphasis on autonomous safety such as autonomous braking. Cars get rated across several buckets (one of which is autonomous safety) and it doesn't matter if the car gets 5/5 for every other bucket, if you get a 2/5 for autonomous safety you get 2/5 overall, which is what happened to the Mustang. The Redline doesn't have any autonomous safety features so would get 2/5 or at max 3/5 using Euro NCAP.

Erez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2
Thanks guys, definitely didn't mean to open the NCAP safety can of worms...
I am test driving the SSV redline tomorrow and it is definitely a more practical (As far as a 6.2L can be practical these days) than the Mustang. The combination of a 2 door and a non existent back seat on the Mustang makes it a problem to drive around with the family.

While the Mustang is good fun it is not perfect - Panel alignment, Paint job, Notchy manual gear to name a few.
It's value will surely drop once the face lifted '18 model will hit the shores and only time will tell what will happen to the last Commodore.

I will be going for an Auto this time - Anything wrong with the SSV's Auto gearbox?
Any other issues to look for in this car when buying it new (Had a long list what to look for when picking up a new Stang...)

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
It's value will surely drop once the face lifted '18 model will hit the shores and only time will tell what will happen to the last Commodore.

I have seen the new Mustang, it's a lot better in almost every way. I agree that value of the current Mustang is going to get hit hard.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I will be going for an Auto this time - Anything wrong with the SSV's Auto gearbox?

If its an MY17 transmission program, no, its almost perfect!

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
2-star safety thing is effectively a beat-up in the real world, I wouldn't let that affect you.

Your 'kin kidding right?
They got that rating for plenty of fails but the BIG one is the driver & passenger both hit wheel/dash in the offset crash test that's done as a normal test done everywhere. Watch the vid from 5min on and you'll see what's what.

So anyway let us know what you get for the Mustang as a trade in & the price you pay for the Commodore.